Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Rocket Lunches

I've been enjoying listening to "Apollo 11 in Real Time": the actual audio from all the NASA Mission Control stations, sequenced as it happened -- 11,000 hours of it.

https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

I was watching when Neil Armstrong stepped onto the surface of the Moon. I remember calling my mom to come watch, because I knew something amazing was happening. But she preferred to sit in her sewing room, possibly because she was about 8.5 months pregnant at the time and wasn't feeling all that nimble.

It's a very odd feeling to realize it's been 50 years since I was that kid. But I still get excited by new discoveries.

May the next 50 years see us recover the Apollo spirit of exploration.

Flatfingers wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 pm
May the next 50 years see us recover the Apollo spirit of exploration.
50 years from first powered flight, to landing on the moon.
50 years on from then sees us move from room sized computers, to wristwatches with more power, from a megabyte the size of a car, to a terabyte that fits in your pocket watch pocket.

The first one was powered from the wish to get laid...
The second from the wish to watch people getting laid...
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I watched the landing from a bar in Spain. That first message - "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." - was awesome!
If you'd told me then that fifty years on we still wouldn't have a manned base on Luna, I'd have laughed. Surely not?
Oolite Naval Attaché

India and Pakistan hate each other, so the trolling is no surprise. Imagine a world without the damn twattersphere!
It is kinda worrying that both nations possess nuclear weapons. Kashmir would be the flashpoint - again.
Oolite Naval Attaché

Cody wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:19 am
Faced with spiralling costs for its Space Launch System (SLS) and pressure to put American boots on the Moon by 2024, NASA is to return the Saturn V to flight.
Article here.
This is an April Fools joke, please do not spread this shit.
Space is no fucking Joke.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now