Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Cultural Differences

I don't normally feel like getting into these things, but just this once, since it doesn't seem right to leave TheJuggler feeling solitary on this stuff....
wfja wrote:The United States of America in the immortal words of Aaron Sorkin. Have a gander.
Someone who hates the very idea of a particular place would not be my first choice for a tour guide to that place.
Dinosawer wrote:A funny thing (not entirely cultural maybe, but still):
A year ago or so there was a thing in the US where the government didn't agree about a budget in time, which led to people not getting paid, public services not being available, general chaos and all that shenanigans for over a week (I think).
I know it was made to sound really bad, but the reality was that virtually everyone got on with their lives just fine.

Also, I can assure you that virtually everyone -- most especially "public sector" (i.e., unionized) workers -- got every red cent of their wages. There were loud noises about national parks closing temporarily, but that was political theater to try to make the elite media's enemies look bad in the public's eyes. It mostly failed. (Most people grasped the concept that not being able to spend a day at Yellowstone does not qualify as an actual national disaster.)

Mostly what there was was a lapdog press dutifully spending every minute of every day breathlessly repeating the administration's political talking points. I'm not surprised if anyone following the general U.S. news during that time must have thought blood was raining from the heavens.

There is a serious argument to be made that letting the federal government briefly suspend its operations is not the best way to address either executive branch stubbornness or a legislative branch inability to control spending. I think that's a responsible objection.

But the idea that going for a few days without non-critical government activities caused any meaningful hardship to regular citizens, or that it was a disaster that no honest and caring legislator would ever permit, is bogus. There are a few better ways to govern, but there are many, many more worse things than to take a brief holiday from passing yet more laws.

Speaking of which:
Dinosawer wrote:About four years ago, Belgium has been without an elected for 541 days and hardly anyone noticed. :lol:
The way I hear it, Brussels is too busy trying to tell every other EU country what to do to have the time to manage its own affairs. ;)

But if we're talking about legislatures that aren't constantly trying to pass more laws on top of the hundreds of thousands already on the books at all levels, the Texas state legislature (speaking of Texas) meets every other year for 140 days. Period.

And yet it somehow manages not only to remain functional, and solvent in most years, it weathered the Great Recession better than other states with more activist legislatures. (And not just because of cheap energy, either.) It also continues to see more people and businesses moving to Texas (and not just from south of the border) than leaving, unlike those other eternally-controlling states. I'll be the first to say Texas is not perfect. But it does some things better than other places, including expecting people to behave like responsible adult members of society, and many of its positive features are IMO a direct result of that general attitude regarding self-government, the most important kind.

The U.S. itself also has its share of problems, many of them self-inflicted. "Too few laws" is not one of those problems, though -- not after 200+ years of barnacle-like encrustation of the ship of state. I don't think failing to agree to a budget resolution is the right way to address the real and dangerous problem of creeping statism. But I also don't think the brief shutdown hurt as much as fans of centralized power would like you to believe it did.
TheJuggler wrote: if you outlaw guns, all you do is create a power imbalance between law-abiding citizens and criminals. The criminals will still have guns, and then what is one to protect oneself with? Throwing knives? Crossbows?
Precisely. "Harsh language," maybe.

"Ban guns" is an emotional plea; it's not an informed argument in light of history (see "Lord Acton"), nor is it a serious argument in light of the reality that, like it or not, there are many guns in the U.S. right now. A serious effort to remove this part of the U.S. Bill of Rights would forthrightly and sensibly address the reality that stripping the right to bear arms from law-abiding citizens would leave many weapons in the hands of criminals, who you can imagine would be delighted to find an immediate use for those weapons.

My test for whether a Second Amendment opponent is honest is whether their solution is to advocate for a constitutional amendment to repeal the Second Amendment -- the prescribed legal recourse.

Trying to nibble away at it through small individual restrictions, upheld by politically activist judges -- I have a word for that, which I won't use here. A person with the courage of their convictions would take this question to the people's representatives and then directly to the people themselves, in the process provided for by the Constitution itself. The honorable course would be to tell all of the truth on all sides, trust citizens to decide for themselves, and abide by that choice.
Dinosawer wrote:I guess that explains why America has such a lower murder rate of home invasions and burglary!
Fixed that for you. ;)

(Actually, I don't value human lives below property. But the "ooh, those dumb Americans and their guns!" thing always seems to somehow fail to mention the startlingly high frequency with which you guys get robbed.)
Tom wrote:That said, the position of mainstream media (such as CNN) that the truth lies some equal distance between the two sides has contributed to the current political malaise. To equate liberal talking points with the outright lies of the Far Right has emboldened members of the latter group to push an ever more oppressive agenda. The Right Wing expertly uses the politics of division to create single issue voters the truth and the welfare of the majority be damned.
Thank you for not disappointing me, Tom -- I had a feeling you might not be able to resist the opportunity to... well, let's be charitable and call it "say things not everyone would agree with" about the conservative perspective on reality. ;)
wfja wrote:Now now, do we have to go make a political differences thread?

Because we can. That'd totally be worth watching with popcorn. :thumbup:
Er... you did sort of already go there yourself earlier in this thread (which once upon a time was about cultural differences), inviting a response from the other side. Citing Aaron Sorkin on America is not exactly a politically neutral comment.

Actually, since this kind of conversation seems to bring out the angry in some people, I'll add that I'm not feeling grumpy in the slightest at anyone. Some folks expressed some views on matters of governance; I offer relatively mild rebuttals to a few of those perspectives that I feel were lacking somewhat in the accuracy department. I'm happy to be friendly here as long as everyone else is; if this turns personally nasty, I'm done... even if that means that those who can't tolerate opposing viewpoints "win." I'd like to think this forum is better than that.

Or cultural differences. I'm OK with that, too. :)

Flatfingers wrote:
wfja wrote:The United States of America in the immortal words of Aaron Sorkin. Have a gander.
Someone who hates the very idea of a particular place would not be my first choice for a tour guide to that place.
No kidding. But I thought it was a poignant summary of recent American history, compared to the grander banner.
Flatfingers wrote:
wfja wrote:Now now, do we have to go make a political differences thread?

Because we can. That'd totally be worth watching with popcorn. :thumbup:
Er... you did sort of already go there yourself earlier in this thread (which once upon a time was about cultural differences), inviting a response from the other side. Citing Aaron Sorkin on America is not exactly a politically neutral comment.

Actually, since this kind of conversation seems to bring out the angry in some people, I'll add that I'm not feeling grumpy in the slightest at anyone. Some folks expressed some views on matters of governance; I offer relatively mild rebuttals to a few of those perspectives that I feel were lacking somewhat in the accuracy department. I'm happy to be friendly here as long as everyone else is; if this turns personally nasty, I'm done... even if that means that those who can't tolerate opposing viewpoints "win." I'd like to think this forum is better than that.

Or cultural differences. I'm OK with that, too. :)
Mea culpa. It was meant in a more aloof manner (ergo quoting a television writer) - please excuse my one-sidedness. I feel the exact same way; political discourse for the laymen tends to dissolve into finger-pointing and yelling, which - although I believe this forum is more well-mannered - makes me hesitant to delve into a serious discussion. Suffice it to say that while politics is closely coupled with culture, it is not inherently synonymous. Thus this thread, which I hope my esteemed LT-enthusiast colleagues will use for such vigorous debates as this.

Anyhoo, anybody want to comment on Canada? 'Cause we're pretty culturally different, methinks. I mean, riding to work from igloos on polar bears everyday, drinking alcoholic maple syrup, apologizing for accidentally hitting someone's fist with our faces... I hear that's no common you's about, eh?

Edit: words 'n stuff.

While not synonymous, I believe that politics are an expression of culture (or to be more precise a culture's value system). As such, separating the two is far from easy if one is to have a serious conversation on either topic.

Take the following article about race in America.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Tom wrote:While not synonymous, I believe that politics are an expression of culture (or to be more precise a culture's value system). As such, separating the two is far from easy if one is to have a serious conversation on either topic.

Take the following article about race in America.
I'll try to have a read later (procrastinating studying right now :shock: ), but considering that the structure of government in most modern nations have rarely changed since their inception, I find it hard to believe that politic's an accurate expression of a culture's value system. Coupled with random facts - like that the average American legislator was born in 1964, recent widespread movements like Occupy Wall-street show some demand for change, or that some legislature's are still producing religious legislation despite a slow liberalization of the populace - there seems to be a teeny-tiny dissonance between American culture and politics. That's just my uneducated opinion, of course, understanding that the facts presented are conjecture.
TheJuggler wrote:[Deadpan humor]
I dunno. Isn't Canada basically the same as America?
[/deadpan humor]
I'm wounded. Hey, we didn't elect Bush twice. :lol:

Oh wait, Stephan Harper...

TheJuggler wrote:Changing the subject, I just saw Victor posting about drinking hot tea. Is that just a british thing,or do other people/countries do that, too? I've only ever been around iced tea here in the States (ever had Southern Sweet TeaTM? It's like drinking pure sugar :sick: ).

To me, hot tea is like hot water: undrinkable.
It's probably a Commonwealth thing in general more than a specifically British thing... And of course, originally and still is a Chinese thing. Herbal teas are quite good for you (better than even hot water! :P )

Scytale wrote:
TheJuggler wrote:Changing the subject, I just saw Victor posting about drinking hot tea. Is that just a british thing,or do other people/countries do that, too? I've only ever been around iced tea here in the States (ever had Southern Sweet TeaTM? It's like drinking pure sugar :sick: ).

It's probably a Commonwealth thing in general more than a specifically British thing... And of course, originally and still is a Chinese thing. Herbal teas are quite good for you (better than even hot water! :P )
Tea is the second most-drinked liquid in the world, after water. And tea's pretty big up here in the Maritimes, so that's a +1 to the Commonwealth idea.

Barbarian! :P

Hot tea is the best drink ever on a cold winter day!
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Flatfingers wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:I guess that explains why America has such a lower murder rate of home invasions and burglary!
Fixed that for you. ;)

(Actually, I don't value human lives below property. But the "ooh, those dumb Americans and their guns!" thing always seems to somehow fail to mention the startlingly high frequency with which you guys get robbed.)
[Citation needed] :P

Glad to hear that the budget debacle want the disaster the media made it sound though. :)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Story time about Culture Shock and about the enthusiastic Americans, that started this thread.

Culture Shock was actually the name of the program from my work where 'young professionals' were sent to the USA for a crash course on high perfomance teamwork, while dumping them abroad to see how they faired representing a corporation.

This meant that we'd go to Athens, Ohio (of all places), to Ohio University, for a 3 week stint. where every week we'd have some assignment to perform (write a business case, develop a new product, etc) and for the weekends we'd be free to do whatever we wanted.

On one occassion we rented a car at a local car rental agency. And here's where the enthusiasm comes in.

On Thursday we had arranged for a car to be available on Friday, and that evening we went out together, and ended up at a Buffalo Wild Wings for karaoke, beer and wings.
And there we encountered a group of friendly American students, who, upon hearing we were from The Netherlands, exclaimed loudly: "OH MY GOD! WE WERE PREPARING YOUR RENTAL CAR TODAY. WE'LL MAKE EXTRA SURE IT'S SUPER CLEAN!"
This excuberance was a bit weird to us, because after all we were just going to rent a car, not do anything special, but they were really nice, so the rest of the evening was great.
We taught them the Dutch version of Gloria Gaynor's "I will survive", much to the chagrin of the operator of the karaoke machine, because the Dutch version (by Hermes House Band) keeps on going and going and going like the Energizer/Duracell bunny.

But the "Hi! How are you doing today!" thing, as if you were their best friends, we encountered in restaurants, and the excuberant exclaim depicted above were indeed a bit strange, and also tipping your waitress is also something to get used to as a Dutch person.

Of course, the usual way Dutch waiting staff treat customers could use a bit more (read: a lot more) of the "service-with-a-smile" aspect of the restaurant experience in the USA. So there are trade offs everywhere.

On the subject of tea drinking, I prefer tea over coffee. I can drink both, but if I can choose, I'll choose tea. Nice hot (not quite boiling) water, loose tea leaves in a sieve, and let it steep for a little while. Add a bit of sugar, or sweetener. mmmmm godly.
avatar made from a photo by abbyreed

Best tea is a hot tea with a few drops of milk, no sugar but linden honey instead, best drink ever. Also, Ukrainian Uzvar is great cold drink, it is made from dried fruits, it can be not really tasty without sugar or honey but its the best drink to quench your thirst.
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

Online Now