Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: LT forum ART and Hobby Center

Im working on a game using an isometric tile engine. But the tests are from a project that is on hold for now, until
the current project is done. (sounding a bit cryptic, but I have realized that I went a bit too feature intensive, so the current one is partly to get feedback if
the project on hold is feasible)

(-> all as a hobby, its not my main occupation)

I have worked in the game industry before. And I have experienced, that doing game development as an occupation quickly drains the fun out of it.

Here some sreenshots of an older game prototype, I have made originally for (ancient) JavaME phones: Image Image more here:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image Image Image
Last edited by Damocles on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starcraft and Red Alert where the main inspirations for the graphical ascetics. The reason for it looking like a 90s titel was more due to the limitation of
keeping the whole game smaller than 250kb and have a fast rendering. In fact its not isometric rendering used here, but a simple grid tile rendering using 24x24 sized tiles.
(similar to how Starcraft renders the map) wich is way faster, but unfortunately quite a bit harder to edit the map. (I did not come around creating automated tile-placement, so the
map tiles are actually hand placed).

The original target where those funny "key-phones" running JavaME that some might remember from their parents.

The way I have created the environment and model artwork would probably make any real artist laugh, but the workflow was effective enough to create what I needed.
Here an example of the tilesheet during development: Image

Damocles wrote:Starcraft and Red Alert where the main inspirations for the graphical ascetics. The reason for it looking like a 90s titel was more due to the limitation of
keeping the whole game smaller than 250kb and have a fast rendering. In fact its not isometric rendering used here, but a simple grid tile rendering using 24x24 sized tiles.
Meh, technical graphics quality is far behind graphical arts quality. Do the arts well and with love and they stay pretty far longer than would be expected on the surface from pixel count and rendering tricks.

For example Nexus: the Jupiter Incident.
Its still looking awesome despite being 13 years old!
(As long as you dont zoom in too closely and see how mushy the textures are by todays standards)

Damocles wrote: The original target where those funny "key-phones" running JavaME that some might remember from their parents.
People in here arent that young :ghost:

If have to wonder, if you could make that kind of stuff work on a javame phone, why could I never find a proper RTS when I had my Android tablet :cry:
Its not a technical limitation. (I know it can be done)

RTSs are a risky investment for any studio, as they know it will have a smaller target-player base than a Match-3 or racing game for example. That might be the reason
why no larger studio really invested into a top tier RTS for mobile devices.
So its usually only smaller developers who would attempt that. (no idea if anyone ever made an oldscool RTS for Android)

Another thing is the problem of the user interface and controls.
Nothing can beat a mouse+keyboard in an RTS. Thats why it is so hard to pull of that kind of gameplay on a console or touch device.

And mobile games usually concentrate on having short play sessions (only a couple of minutes for one "level").
Partly because those games a played at short breaks or waiting for the bus. An RTS mission could last substantially longer, and a match could not even be "paused" in
a multiplayer session.

A MOBA (reasonably similar to an RTS) would probably make more sense. As the player can concentrate on one central Character and his abilities.
Its easier to create a control scheme for that.
I would probably also include base-building strategy in such a gameplay, but using your hero as the central "activator" to give commands,
having to run to prefixed locations and deciding what to do economically there. And your entourage of minions following the hero automatically.

Damocles wrote:
If have to wonder, if you could make that kind of stuff work on a javame phone, why could I never find a proper RTS when I had my Android tablet :cry:
Its not a technical limitation. (I know it can be done)

RTSs are a risky investment for any studio, as they know it will have a smaller target-player base than a Match-3 or racing game for example. That might be the reason
why no larger studio really invested into a top tier RTS for mobile devices.
So its usually only smaller developers who would attempt that. (no idea if anyone ever made an oldscool RTS for Android)

Another thing is the problem of the user interface and controls.
Nothing can beat a mouse+keyboard in an RTS. Thats why it is so hard to pull of that kind of gameplay on a console or touch device.

And mobile games usually concentrate on having short play sessions (only a couple of minutes for one "level").
Partly because those games a played at short breaks or waiting for the bus. An RTS mission could last substantially longer, and a match could not even be "paused" in
a multiplayer session.

A MOBA (reasonably similar to an RTS) would probably make more sense. As the player can concentrate on one central Character and his abilities.
Its easier to create a control scheme for that.
Android does have a few strategy games, but they tend to be turn based over real-time for the reasons detailed above.
It's unfortunate, I agree.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now