Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: LT forum ART and Hobby Center

Dinosawer wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:17 am
17? Tal's 26 or 27 or something along those lines :P
I was talking about this. He said he was 17 when he made this. Or did I get something wrong there?
Talvieno wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:49 pm
Spoiler:      SHOW
Recorded at roughly 150 passes:
Anyway, I've been informed that what I'm doing is some kind of cross between a neural network and genetic algorithms. And here I thought I was doing my own thing. :lol: I'm not sure to be proud that I re-invented the wheel at 17, or disappointed that all I did was re-invent the wheel. Anyway, was interesting to make. Many challenges and whatever. No external libraries used. :)
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:24 am
I'm certainly not 17. :P
Yeeeaaah, I knooow that!

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:24 am
The sim I made is just a more polished/advanced version of something I made when I was seventeen, a decade ago.
Ah, that's where I got something wrong. Ok. ^^
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Cornflakes requested that I add sliders to it a while back, so here's that: http://talvieno.com/sims/aigame/aigamecontrol.html

edit:
And I have video of it now, too. :D I put it into two different gens and recorded it after about 2500 iterations. Just shows that they do indeed learn to act quite differently depending on how you set the values.

First gen:
Second gen:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:52 pm

First gen:
Second gen:
THIS. is great.

Long time no see guys!
Sorry for abandoning the thread for so long, it was some heavy time in my life (and still is).

Right now I'm trying to learn to code with C# to be able to create games in Unity3d (it seemed the best "beginner" engine for me).
I did few Unity's tutorials and currently go through DevSlopes course. But I still feel that I miss a lot as I never really learned mathematics/programming/anything that is connected to it, so its kind of overwhelming experience.

Do you guys have some tips or maybe can recommend some reading/courses for this?
I especially interested in 2d RTS/4x examples and AI (utility ai concept just sounds too awesome to me). My first project Im planning is basically 2 ships fighting each other in 2d with some interesting simulation of ship's signature and different weapon types.
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

Shuul wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:20 am
Long time no see guys!
Sorry for abandoning the thread for so long, it was some heavy time in my life (and still is).
[..]
trying to learn to code with C# to be able to create games in Unity3d
[..]
Do you guys have some tips or maybe can recommend some reading/courses for this?
I especially interested in 2d RTS/4x examples and AI (utility ai concept just sounds too awesome to me). My first project Im planning is basically 2 ships fighting each other in 2d with some interesting simulation of ship's signature and different weapon types.
Really good to hear from you, Shuul; (and I hope you don't discard this as trite) we're in your corner.
Don't have any tips to offer personally, but I'm very interested in following your project. :thumbup:

What are some specific things you have in mind regarding ship's signature simulation and weapon types?
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Thank you guys! I'm glad to see all you are still here after so much time, such a nice community to get back to :)
As for this:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:51 am
What are some specific things you have in mind regarding ship's signature simulation and weapon types?
Basically, I want to simulate target lock of weapons, as in space weapon range is not really limited so I try to use other values to determine engagement ranges. So to determine how far the weapon can reach I'll use next values (if you played tabletop game DropFleet Commander you will see some similarities):
+ Basic weapon reach by design (e.g. 50 km)
+ Ship's sensors (+ 50% range to all weapons, this number is high to simulate how hard it is to lock on target far away if sensors are damaged)
+ Ship's weapon coordination sub-systems (e.g. +10% range to all weapons)
+ If target is highlighted by some source (firing powerful spinal-weapon, highlighted by friendly target painters etc.)
+ ECCM (works only if enemy has ECM)
+ Basic signature of the target

// signature is a combination of radar cross-section, thermal and EM dissipation and any other thing that can make it easier to lock on target in the void of space. All installed modules add to the signature (e.g. powerful engines, gigantic drilling platform for mobile miner)

- stealth sub-systems (e.g. "Cloaking modules" decrease total signature by 20% before first shot is fired)
- stealth modifications for other modules (e.g. armour, engines)
- ECM (e.g. - 15% to basic weapons reach)
- environment (e.g. dense asteroid field, nebula)

As for weapon types - they are quite standard: Kinetic (from simple cannons to railguns), missiles (can lead target even if attacking ship lost the target), torpedoes (short ranged and armoured to overcome PD), energy bolt weapons (short ranged due to disintegration of "bolt capsule" but high damage), energy beam weapons (very high-tech, rare, mostly spinal-type weapons). Some of them have different additional characteristics in regards to signature//range, but still follow the general concept.

I do also plan to add "point-blank" special weapons that require small amount of power to operate but have very limited weapon's reach that cannot be modified by anything.

There is a small presentation for the game that I created during my Game Design courses, but It can be lacking without my comments. I know that there are a lot of features in it for one-man team, that's why I will start from small combat prototype to see if it'll work.
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

Online Now