Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: LT forum ART and Hobby Center

Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:04 pm
That's why you also subtract point for ships on your side dying :V
Yes, that will do it. But then they will figure out that running away is a good idea ;3
So give them more points of they kill them faster, and take away points as time goes on too. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:16 pm
Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:04 pm
That's why you also subtract point for ships on your side dying :V
Yes, that will do it. But then they will figure out that running away is a good idea ;3
So give them more points of they kill them faster, and take away points as time goes on too. :V
Exactly this. And if you subtract too few points for hitting the edges, they'll start sliding along the edges as a tactic. If you add too many, they'll start carefully avoiding the edges or going much more slowly. In extreme cases they might even start (and have started) sitting still and waiting for the enemy to come towards them, leisurely dodging missiles all the way. They are crafty little buggers and they exist solely to exploit anything you do. Balancing for AI is hard. I'm considering making an AI to balance the AI balancing. :?
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:43 pm
True, but it's a good and tested way of pretending you have an infinite simulated field while you actually haven't :D
Or just have an infinite field, and penalize for distance from enemy :D
Center the camera on the average position, and zoom it based on the max distance from the center of the camera any unit is.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Camera and things.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Recorded at roughly 150 passes:
Anyway, I've been informed that what I'm doing is some kind of cross between a neural network and genetic algorithms. And here I thought I was doing my own thing. :lol: I'm not sure to be proud that I re-invented the wheel at 17, or disappointed that all I did was re-invent the wheel. Anyway, was interesting to make. Many challenges and whatever. No external libraries used. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

How?!?

That sounds like some very, very awful piece of programming weirdness!
And it also sounds like you did it a lot like "Oh, let's see how that goes!"

That shouldn't work! How does that work?!?

(Awesome work btw...but my head just can't comprehend that properly...)
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Context:
Fawkes in IRC wrote:<Fawkes> it sounds horribly complicated
<Fawkes> like stuff you don't just go ahead and do
<Fawkes> it's an "awful(ly complicated) piece of programming weirdness"
<Fawkes> at least to me
<Fawkes> that sounded better?
Most programming is stuff you just "go ahead and do". :P If you don't, you never get anywhere. Anyway, to explain it simpler (as I tried on IRC): I basically reward things I want it to do, and punish things I don't want it to do. then it learns, through trial and error, over time, which things I want it to do and does those more often.

edit: and a link: http://talvieno.com/sims/aigame/aigame.html
Spacebar slows it down/speeds it up. Blue circles indicate the two players with the highest scores. It simulates the same way regardless of speed. Keeping it sped up just lets it gen up to 16 times faster. :)
also, note: due to its homebrewed nature, occasionally it will "learn itself into a corner". It doesn't happen every time, but when it does, it'll completely stop updating the AI for long periods, and I didn't work out a way to figure it out and get around it quickly. It will get out of it eventually, but may take a fair bit of time.

Figured it out. They're basing whether or not asteroids are "dangerous" based on the direction they're currently facing, and not the direction they're currently sliding. As such, they start ignoring asteroids as soon as they're no longer facing toward them, resulting in it being difficult-to-impossible to actually avoid them with any degree of reliability. :lol: My mistake, not theirs. If I fix the code they'll start avoiding them properly.

edit: A thorough investigation reveals that it's because their AI is only updating four times a second (per person) giving an average reaction time of 0.125 seconds, roughly equal to that of a human. HOWEVER, unlike a human, they don't actually know they're near the asteroid at all until they're actually facing it, and after their 4-times-a-second update passes. I've updated it to check eight times a second instead, which may help them figure it out... but we'll see after the next round of tests.

I really started looking into it in-depth yesterday and found a multitude of little bugs, largely from the 16 player -> 32 player switch I made, where some of the code wasn't updated for the increased number of players, resulting in weirdness and general AI extremes. This often caused it to pick a single action type and use it for the entirety of a round. ._. It's been fixed now, though. They aren't avoiding asteroids perfectly, but it's a lot higher on their priority list now.

Online Now