Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Music!

I'm back on a Muse kick again. But every now and then, when no one is watching, I might fire up Lady Gaga in the car. Just for one song. Thats all. Really, I don't have a problem.
David -- Proud to be saving the world since 1984

croxis wrote:I'm back on a Muse kick again. But every now and then, when no one is watching, I might fire up Lady Gaga in the car. Just for one song. Thats all. Really, I don't have a problem.
Heh, we all have that one guilty band or song... In my case it's Call Me Maybe, although I'm sure I'm not alone at that.

Back on track... I find Trifonic a great band to listen to while programming lately.

ia_ia_yogsothoth wrote:Surprised no one's mentioned Aphex Twin up to this point.
I know his more ambient stuff has been used in gaming ad nauseam, but still.

In addition to him,
  • I could go on, but I think you get the picture.
I love AFX, VSnares, Squarepusher, Ceephax, BoC!

More great IDM/glitch type stuff is Supercollider, Phthalocyanine, Tim Exile, Blipvert, DEV/null, Xanopticon...
Steel Neuron wrote: Heh, we all have that one guilty band or song... In my case it's Call Me Maybe, although I'm sure I'm not alone at that.
Hah, not me... If I like something I ain't give a bother what no other thinks. :U

My favorite bands of all time :D
-Metallica
-Alice Cooper
-AC/DC
-Pearl Jam
-good old fashion Elvis Presley
-Rolling Stones
-Queen :mrgreen:
-Guns n' roses
-Rage Against the Machine
-Cage the Elephant
-Green Day
-Billy talent
-Bad Company
-Aerosmith
-the Doors
and last but not least
-the Who

I'm a dance music lover. Trance (inc psytrance) is my first love, followed by electro/complextro & deep house, then DnB and old-school UK Garage. My saying goes: "If it has real instruments in it, then I probably don't listen to it" (unless it's a live percussion supporting someone like Mark Knight).

My musical 'nemesis' is the 90s Britpop band Pulp. I will leave a dancefloor if I hear Disco 2000 or Common People.

I've found myself spending an inordinate amount of time (and money I guess) in Ministry of Sound nightclub London over the past 6 months. I'm lucky in that I live about 90 mins away from it.

An assortment of DJs who I thought have been amazing when I've seen them over the course of 2011/2012:
  • Gareth Emery
  • Paul Oakenfold (I prefer his "Full on Fluoro" style over his "We are Planet Perfecto" style)
  • Ørjan Nilsen
  • Infected Mushroom
  • Astrix
  • Mark Knight
  • Camo & Krooked
  • John '00' Fleming
  • Porter Robinson
  • Mat Zo
  • London Elektricity
  • High Contrast
  • Kryder
  • Bryan Kearney
  • Eric Prydz
I haven't had a chance to see Parov Stelar live yet but his Coco pt 2 album is a regular on my playlist. I keep meaning to see Wolfgang Gartner live but over the last 2 years every chance I have had has been thwarted by either cancellation or scheduling conflict.

As for game music, I've been listening to Ghost Monkey's soundtrack for Zen Bound quite a bit and I have had Danny Baranowsky's "RUN!" (Canabalt theme 1) stuck in my head on repeat for about the past week (this is a good thing).

If you're not totally bored yet: http://www.last.fm/user/ToreadorVampire
Nobody suspects a Toreador …

I finally got around on Newyears Eve to listening to some Mos Def - his first LP, Black On Both Side.

Fantastic hiphop right there. Highly recommended to anyone with any remote interest in beat music, hiphop, rap, etc.

Just took a quick YouTube journey through Josh's favourites - mostly a bit too downtempo to make it into my regular playlists. Also I'm not a huge dubstep fan, although most of my ire to that genre is really directed at the SkrillexStep subgenre. Having poked through I can strongly recommend:
  • Just about anything I have ever heard by Ghost Monkey (most notably the soundtrack to Zen Bound)
  • The album "Eric Prydz presents Pryda". You'd probably like most of disc 1 (although I bet your favourite track on the disc would be "You" or "Allein" where mine is "SW4"). Disc 2 would probably be right up your alley - very abstract and mellow, disc 3 (my favourite) might be a bit too energetic for your tastes.
  • Any of Kosheen's three albums, the first - Resist - is my favourite. You would probably prefer the other two which are a little less DnB-inspired
  • Ashley Wallbridge's album "The Inner Me" and/or Andy Moor's album "Zero Point One" (although they are VERY similar, I can't play them back-to-back without feeling like I'm listening to the same album twice)
Some maybes:
  • High Contrast's latest album "The Agony & The Ecstasy". It's liquid DnB, more mellow than regular DnB but it's still DnB
  • Any of the Toolroom Knights series of compilations that are mixed by Mark Knight (EG: TK vol. 3 or TK Ibiza 2012), or the most recent one, mixed by Forza. It's deep house (aka "real house music") and so it's quite easy to listen to, without jumping up and punching you in the face like commercial pop-house (aka "wtf, this isn't house music at all!"). Deep house has a quite surly feel to it I think and I love it as background music for coding.
Nobody suspects a Toreador …

ghyt wrote:I finally got around on Newyears Eve to listening to some Mos Def - his first LP, Black On Both Side.

Fantastic hiphop right there. Highly recommended to anyone with any remote interest in beat music, hiphop, rap, etc.
That's but the tip of the iceberg, my friend.

I'd recommend heading to lesser known territory, such as: People Under the Stairs, Aceyalone (ESPECIALLY A Book of Human Language), Dr. Octagon, Edan, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, etc.

I make beats myself so I know where it's at. c:
NO ONE SPOONS LIKE GASTON

ia_ia_yogsothoth wrote:
ghyt wrote:I finally got around on Newyears Eve to listening to some Mos Def - his first LP, Black On Both Side.

That's but the tip of the iceberg, my friend.

I'd recommend heading to lesser known territory, such as: People Under the Stairs, Aceyalone (ESPECIALLY A Book of Human Language), Dr. Octagon, Edan, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, etc.

I make beats myself so I know where it's at. c:
I'll try to remember to check some of thsoe out tonight!

I think I've heard of Del before and possibly Dr. Octagon. But I don't think I've heard any.

I've been wanting to listen to Mos Def after seeing him on Chappelle's Show a few times, twice by himself and once with Talib Kweli as Black Star. I think I'll give it a shot tonight.

As for my current playlist, it's been pretty varied. A lot of classic and heavy rock mixed with some classic and modern rap. Been listening to Wu-Tang Clan and Ted Nugent lately.

Thugnificent wrote:I've been wanting to listen to Mos Def after seeing him on Chappelle's Show a few times, twice by himself and once with Talib Kweli as Black Star. I think I'll give it a shot tonight.

As for my current playlist, it's been pretty varied. A lot of classic and heavy rock mixed with some classic and modern rap. Been listening to Wu-Tang Clan and Ted Nugent lately.
holy god it's thugnificent yessssss

i haven't seen the boondocks in so damn long

anyway I listened to a bit of Aceyalone, not bad. will check some of the others out in a bit

Hmm well if I'm doing some coding work I do love the scottish instrumental rock sounds of Mogwai, who are definitely one of my favourite bands. Add in some classic grunge like Soundgarden and maybe some more psychedelic rock from The Black Angels and I'm pretty happy. If I want to go in a more dancey way then deadmau5, Aphex Twin, and if I'm feeling like gaming then maybe some Tettix as he's released shit loads of really good free albums.

Online Now