Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Music!

From Thousand Foot Krutch to Avenged Sevenfold, Limp Bizkit to Run DMC, Linkin Park to Megadeth. I like a little of everything.

Major players I've been listening to lately: Machine Gun Kelly, Linkin Park, Thousand Foot Krutch.

kone wrote:Is there still hope for dynamically created music?
I know that dubstep is not the most favorite music on the earth but it can be extremely violent.
See Dubstep-Guns for instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... m4S4#t=54s
The creators of this song (klaypex) are not bad either in their other songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... WfGA#t=89s

It's just begging to be the sound being played when the big cannons go hot!
Man I love Corridor Digital's stuff. I loved this one quite a bit too.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Don't know if in that above list, but I whole-heartedly recommend Gustav Holst's The Planets suite.

You no doubt recognize this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

Other things:
This particular rendition of Verdi's Requiem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDFFHaz9GsY
Anything by Wagner, Shostakovich, Prokofiev

For something calmer, Sibelius does great atmospheric music. Currently listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0_zqEOp4A

Hm.. I'll see if I can find specific examples.

Ambient space music
I've said this before and I'll say it again, for me, coming from an electric angle - for the feeling of "being in space" - nothing beats Eric Prydz (under his Pryda alias):
Pryda - Genesis
Pryda - Europa
Or anything from his "Eric Prydz presents Pryda" album. Also how about some smooth, relaxed breaks:
Dmitry Globa - La Aurora Boreal
Digital Breaks Foundation & Retroid - No Remorse (MDK Remix)

(at this point astute readers now know about two of my favourite albums/compilations of the moment)

Combat music
Fast, hard, dark, repetitive to the point at which it could fade into the background? You're talking goa/psy trance :)
Symphonix - True Reality (Interactive Noise remix)
Reaky & Skaivox - Collective Insanity (yep, back to that compilation)
Official - Dj Fabio & Moon - Bug's Nightmare

But does music matter that much?
In the vast majority of computer games I mute the music (if the game had any) anyway. If I really want music then chances are I'll play my own via Amarok whilst playing the game. I'm not too sure that in-game music is something to beat yourself up over on my front?

And on the music-in-general front …
If any of the goa/psy I posted in the 'combat music' section interests you - there's going to be a special broadcast on ah.fm of an event that's going to be playing music of this ilk. As it happens I'll be there in person.
Nobody suspects a Toreador …

This thread seems to have gathered a lot of undeserved dust. Has everyone stopped listening to music? Is there no new music being composed? Are there gems that you would like to recommend?

I have diverse tastes in music and can honestly say I will give most music a fair hearing. Being of the older generation I tend to find some of the newer contributions to be...er....challanging. I have never taken to country and western as an art form (sorry!) and rap just makes my ears bleed (sorry again!).

I was over the moon when Josh gave me my EC colours because my one abiding passion through life has been the group, Tangerine Dream. They have been a constant element in the soundtrack to my life.They are joined by classical pieces, film soundtracks, game soundtracks, rock, pop etc. At the moment I am playing the soundtrack music to Strike Suit Zero which is so good I am playing it on repeat. It wouldn't be the first time I have enjoyed the music more than the game and that applies to films as well.

I have been introduced to new musical experiences by suggestions made in this very thread. So I really would like to see what your favourites are. The title of this section is "Everything & Anything" and that's just what the music thread should contain. It doesn't matter if your choices have already been mentioned. Enhance our experience with some background on why you like, where and under what circumstances you discovered it etc. :)

Victor Tombs wrote:This thread seems to have gathered a lot of undeserved dust. Has everyone stopped listening to music? Is there no new music being composed? Are there gems that you would like to recommend?

I have diverse tastes in music and can honestly say I will give most music a fair hearing. Being of the older generation I tend to find some of the newer contributions to be...er....challanging. I have never taken to country and western as an art form (sorry!) and rap just makes my ears bleed (sorry again!).

I was over the moon when Josh gave me my EC colours because my one abiding passion through life has been the group, Tangerine Dream. They have been a constant element in the soundtrack to my life.They are joined by classical pieces, film soundtracks, game soundtracks, rock, pop etc. At the moment I am playing the soundtrack music to Strike Suit Zero which is so good I am playing it on repeat. It wouldn't be the first time I have enjoyed the music more than the game and that applies to films as well.

I have been introduced to new musical experiences by suggestions made in this very thread. So I really would like to see what your favourites are. The title of this section is "Everything & Anything" and that's just what the music thread should contain. It doesn't matter if your choices have already been mentioned. Enhance our experience with some background on why you like, where and under what circumstances you discovered it etc. :)

Music? I've heard some of that, I guess.

I haven't posted in this thread yet, so I'll try to give you a rundown of my favourite bands, and maybe link you to the songs that made me fall in love with them. In my experience, just being told to check out a band isn't enough - you need a gateway song or two to get you hooked.

(Caution - a few links in this post point to songs with bad language in the lyrics or film clips that are just plain weird - be warned).

I suppose I would describe my tastes as mostly centered around the classic Alternative Rock genre, with offshoots into anything that catches my ear. I like music with great rhythm and instrumental sections (usually not frantically paced - I enjoy a more chilled-out sound), and prefer bands where I can actually understand and sing along to the lyrics.

If we're talking soundtrack of my life, the defining band has to be R.E.M. - The first album I heard of theirs was Green, but I really fell in love with their music when I heard songs like Electrolight, E-Bow The Letter, Losing My Religion or the fantastic Drive. (And I have to stop here, or I'll just end up linking you to their entire discography).

From R.E.M. my interests spread to Nirvana (everybody's probably heard Smells Like Teen Spirit, but have you tried their songs Come As You Are, or their awesome cover of Bowie's Man Who Sold The World - which I still maintain is better than the original), to Pearl Jam (check out Even Flow, Man of the Hour or Off He Goes), the Stone Temple Pilots (see Creep or Interstate Love Song), and to the Foo Fighters, who are right up there among my favourites thanks to songs like Everlong, Monkey Wrench, and My Hero.

Of course, I also listen to some bands that are a bit heavier, like Metallica (I remember hearing Enter Sandman for the first time and just having the song living in my head for weeks, it was so good. Whiskey in the Jar is another great song, but if that's not your speed, try the Metallica songs Nothing Else Matters, or Tuesday's Gone.) Tool is another good band (Vicarious or Eulogy are always worth a listen), although I'll probably be lynched by anyone into metal when I say I preferred another Maynard project, A Perfect Circle (Seriously, their album Mer De Noms is incredible, with songs like Orestes or Sleeping Beauty, and their album Thirteenth Step, with songs like Weak and Powerless is right behind it in quality). Nine Inch Nails is also good, although some people do get put off by the industrial sound, (try out The Perfect Drug or Hurt - Speaking of Hurt, have you heard the Johnny Cash cover of that song? He brings such emotion and gravitas to his performance, it gets me every time.)

Moving on, I have to mention Audioslave (I am the Highway, Shadow on the Sun or Be Yourself), Pink Floyd (you can't argue with classics like Dogs, Comfortably Numb or Another Brick in the Wall), the Smashing Pumpkins (Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Ava Adore or Perfect), Radiohead (Karma Police, Creep or The Bends), Muse (Butterflies and Hurricanes, Sing For Absolution or Bliss), The Killers (Smile Like you Mean It, Somebody Told Me or Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll), Placebo (Pure Morning, Special Needs or Every You, Every Me) and Magic Dirt (Plastic Loveless Letter, Brat or Watch Out Boys)

Lately I've been listening to some music that's a little more contemporary, I got addicted to Alt-J when they released their album An Awesome Wave, especially the song Breezeblocks - it's really great. I've also been listening to Seth Sentry, who put out his This Was Tomorrow album (Victor T, I know you said you didn't like rap, and traditionally neither do I, but Seth Sentry has a slow style (see his songs Waitress or Float Away), and you can tell he is a total gamer/nerd if you listen to his songs like Dear Science, or Where Was You - which is best described as "Shaun of the Dead" in song form - I think it's brilliant, but I might be biased because Australian rap has been getting pretty good lately, and I prefer the local accent.) The Bastion Soundtrack has also been a frequent star on my playlist recently. The game was fantastic, but the music is just phenominal - From beautiful ballads like Mother, I'm Here (Zulf's Theme), to momentum-inducing (sometimes I go jogging to it) instrumentals like the Brusher Patrol track, the whole album is catchy and atmospheric.

Oh man, I've been typing for aaages, and this stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. I might do a follow-up post where I go through my entire music collection and post one song from every band I have in there. That would be cool.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Just_Ice_au wrote:Music? I've heard some of that, I guess.

I haven't posted in this thread yet, so I'll try to give you a rundown of my favourite bands, and maybe link you to the songs that made me fall in love with them. In my experience, just being told to check out a band isn't enough - you need a gateway song or two to get you hooked.
Phew! Half of the acts you mention I've never listened to but you mentioned Floyd ,to my relief, so we have something in common.

This is exactly what I was hoping for Just_Ice_au. Playlists are boring without some supporting explanation of why we should listen to the act or a scene setter so we can understand the poster's passion. Thanks for taking the time to do a proper job and I look forward to exploring your links to see what I have been missing. :thumbup: :)

Just_Ice_au wrote:Victor T, I know you said you didn't like rap, and traditionally neither do I, but Seth Sentry has a slow style (see his songs Waitress or Float Away), and you can tell he is a total gamer/nerd if you listen to his songs like Dear Science, or Where Was You - which is best described as "Shaun of the Dead" in song form - I think it's brilliant, but I might be biased because Australian rap has been getting pretty good lately, and I prefer the local accent.
I listened to your Seth Sentry recommendations and I agree, he is definitely easier to listen to than other rappers but I still haven't changed my mind about this branch of music. I think I may be a lost cause Just_Ice.

I am well acquainted with Nine Inch Nails which goes back to my countless hours playing Doom and Quake.

Victor Tombs wrote:Phew! Half of the acts you mention I've never listened to but you mentioned Floyd ,to my relief, so we have something in common.

This is exactly what I was hoping for Just_Ice_au. Playlists are boring without some supporting explanation of why we should listen to the act or a scene setter so we can understand the poster's passion. Thanks for taking the time to do a proper job and I look forward to exploring your links to see what I have been missing. :thumbup: :)
Floyd! The great equaliser. :D

I suppose most of those acts are from the 80's-onward, which makes sense, because so am I.

I do listen to a fair bit of older music as well, but this was supposed to be a list of the bands that had the most impact on me growing up, the bands that I always find myself going back to. Even in that I failed, because the list is woefully incomplete, but it's a good starting point.

Re: Seth Sentry - I figured it was a long shot that you'd like him, but I felt obliged to mention him because his album took up residence in my car for a few months this year. :thumbup: I can't help liking him - I think its because some themes in his music resonate with my own life experience.
- The Snark Knight

Just_Ice_au wrote: Music? I've heard some of that, I guess.

...snip...

Oh man, I've been typing for aaages, and this stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. I might do a follow-up post where I go through my entire music collection and post one song from every band I have in there. That would be cool.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Victor Tombs wrote:Don't be put off Just_Ice. I know you enjoyed yourself and I look forward to more of the same. So what is missing and how green can you make it? ;) :D
Heh, yeah. Don't worry, I'm not put off - although it does feel more personal than I expected, putting up the music you like and (potentially) getting judged on it.

I've been going through my CDs and Playlists and everything, and I'm coming to realise that it's not at all about how green can I make the next list, it's knowing where to stop :shock: I could go on for a seriously long time about music.
- The Snark Knight

Online Now