Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Music!

Just_Ice_au wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:Don't be put off Just_Ice. I know you enjoyed yourself and I look forward to more of the same. So what is missing and how green can you make it? ;) :D
Heh, yeah. Don't worry, I'm not put off - although it does feel more personal than I expected, putting up the music you like and (potentially) getting judged on it.

I've been going through my CDs and Playlists and everything, and I'm coming to realise that it's not at all about how green can I make the next list, it's knowing where to stop :shock: I could go on for a seriously long time about music.
If you want to go on for a seriously long time about music, then go ahead. This thread needs some serious input from members. Take no notice of the critics. You didn't write the music you just enjoy it.

Do you think I get any praise for my choice of Tangerine Dream? If I don't get the "who are they?" with the blank stare it usually turns into a heated discussion about their best period of work.

@Skyfligher :lol: :thumbup: A wise and timely non musical contribution. Thanks!

Victor, I assure you that you are not the only person with plenty of Tangerine Dream in his music collection!

(Though I will say I prefer their earlier period -- up to 1983/1988 -- since those were the "album side"-length tracks. Some of the later shorter tracks are excellent; they're just not as sustained. Personal preference.)

TD are one of the several groups in my "electronica to program by" list along with Jean Michel Jarre, Synergy, Kraftwerk, Larry Kucharz, Brian Eno, Harold Budd, Daft Punk, deadmau5, and Wendy Carlos. There's also the "prog rock I grew up with" list that includes Pink Floyd, Yes, Rick Wakeman, Genesis, Vangelis, Renaissance, and most particularly Mike Oldfield.

So no need for concern on the "am I the only musical geezer here?" front. ;)

Flatfingers wrote:There's also the "prog rock I grew up with" list that includes Pink Floyd, Yes, Rick Wakeman, Genesis, Vangelis, Renaissance, and most particularly Mike Oldfield.
But you left off the greatest Prog Rock group of all time, Emerson Lake and Palmer. Brain Salad Surgery ( http://www.brain-salad-surgery.de/home.html ) is considered by many to be the greatest Prog Rock album ever recorded.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

ELP definitely deserve to be on a prog rock list; they're just not on mine.

It's not because I dislike them, exactly. I mean, I might also have included King Crimson on my personal list. We just never clicked for some reason.

Also, while ELP are a fine prog rock band, Brain Salad Surgery is not the greatest prog rock album of all time. That honor goes to Tubular Bells.

I mean, come on. ;)

Flatfingers wrote:So no need for concern on the "am I the only musical geezer here?" front. ;)
I would never entertain such a thought. :mrgreen:

What can I say Flatfingers and Gunther. I'm feeling a bit choked up by your responses. Most of the acts you have mentioned have a place in my collection. I am stunned to find members here who appreciate the importance of these groups and individuals. But I shouldn't be really.

I understand your preference for the lengthy Tangerine Dream tracks Flatfingers. Unfortunately it's when you start using dates that those heated debates begin. Believe me, I've heard them all. There is very little that TD have done that is missing from my collection. The only album I have ever truly disliked is Cyclone. :thumbdown: After listening to all the TD albums, soundtracks and compilations through all those decades I still look forward to their next release. :thumbup: The Dream lives on thanks to Edgar.

ELP are definitely in my collection Gunther (how could they not be). :)

I had to order the original Tubular Bells release from my local record store and wait a whole week for it to arrive. It is now so badly worn it's painful to listen to. I managed to get hold of a duplicate copy of the original just to satisfy my collector side. :lol:

I'm in big trouble if you guys start posting your life in music stories as I will never be able to drag myself away from this thread. (Mind you, I wouldn't complain much :lol: ) It's not so bad going through the music story of Just_Ice as he has mentioned quite a bit of music which I am unfamiliar with.

Thank you very much for that little nostalgia trip gentlemen. It was fun and a genuine pleasure. :D

Rise from thy grave, oh moldy thread! No longer shall the worm gnaw upon your weary posts! Arise! Arise and serve me once more!

*cough*

Ah well. Since I couldn't get the bloody song out of my head for 3 days straight, I thought I'd pass it along for a bit. Enjoy.

Origa - Inner Universe

...and no, not my usual style, but hey, who cares...
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

I love Inner Universe. Had it as my ringtone for awhile also!

The girl is very talented. Fluent in many languages and this song is a good testament to her skill.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Yoko Kanno is the composer. The performer's name is Origa. She's a russian singer living in Japan.

While we're at mother Russia...

Polyushka Polye - Origa
Polyushka Polye - Ivan Rebroff
Polyushka Polye (So long the path) - Mark Almond
Polyushka Polye (Song of the Plains)- Helmut Lotti

And, since I'm feeling particularly silly tonight, here's our imperial hymn. With subtitles, to boot.
Heil dir im Siegerkranz (German imperial hymn)
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

DWMagus wrote:I love Inner Universe. Had it as my ringtone for awhile also!

The girl is very talented. Fluent in many languages and this song is a good testament to her skill.
I agree DW. She is very talented and totally unknown to me.
Hardenberg wrote:oko Kanno is the composer. The performer's name is Origa. She's a russian singer living in Japan.
Thanks for putting me straight Hardenberg. I will be tracking down more of Origa's wonderful performances. she does a great job with Polyushka Polye.

I even enjoyed Heil dir im Siegerkranz (German imperial hymn). It sounded rather familiar, I wonder why. :lol:

Online Now