Return to “Everything & Anything”

Nutrition and Dieting

It's very circumstantial and hear-say, but since I'm on a nutritional ketogenic diet, my brain just seems to work better.
I'm more active, I have a constant supply of energy (the stores in the muscles + liver store about 2000kcal of energy as glucose. As opposed to having access to all the fat in your body.). During adaptation I felt my brains switch, and it was as if a fog was removed.
My memory improved, as did my ability to concentrate. The latter I think is caused more by the absence of a "sugar dip".
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
Re: 10% of Brain 'Myth'

Well Katorone, it's well known that proper nutrition is one of the single most important prerequisites to overall health, and the health and well being of the brain is no different. It is one of the main issues I have against school lunches... At least those I grew up with, they are absolutely devoid of some of the most important parts of nutrition.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Katorone wrote:ketogenic diet
You are at significant risks of bone density loss, increased heart attack and stroke chances, and in an actual ketogenic diet you must be supplementing minerals and vitamins or you will become malnourished.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Katawa wrote:
Katorone wrote:ketogenic diet
You are at significant risks of bone density loss, increased heart attack and stroke chances, and in an actual ketogenic diet you must be supplementing minerals and vitamins or you will become malnourished.
What are you basing this on?
I get plenty of vitamins and minerals from all kinds of sources... Leafy greens, fish, meat, eggs, ... I get plenty of calcium from yoghurt and cheese, and the necessary vitamin D from eggs, liver, pork and the rare multi vitamin.
My latest blood panel came back perfect. I still had an increase cholestorol, but the doctor was fine with it because of very low blood sugar level, triglicerides and the fact that I lost 15kg. :-)

I'm very much interested in any actual studies you can link that aren't studying people with a predisposition for bad bones.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

DWMagus wrote:I was on a ketogenic diet for about 4 months over christmas last year. Lost weight. Went off diet. Weight came back.

Soylent.
How much weight are you talking about?

Soylent can be great. They're very low glycemic which is eventually the result you want. Eating high glycemic foods just mess up the metabolism.

Katorone wrote:I'm very much interested in any actual studies you can link that aren't studying people with a predisposition for bad bones.
If you want information specifically for bones, that's here but I don't have the subscription to quote you the relevant section.
Did your dietician suggest trying cutting out gluten first to see if that was as beneficial? Some people have minor wheat allergies without knowing it and can have the lethargic or cloudy feeling you described. Sometimes it's just the availability of easy energy and switching your diet to more complex slow-release carbohydrates is a better option than upping fat or protein intake. The latter two causing bad cholesterol and kidney stones, or gout, respectively.
DWMagus wrote:I was on a ketogenic diet for about 4 months over christmas last year. Lost weight. Went off diet. Weight came back.

Soylent.
"Unlike other foods that are made to taste great, soylent is engineered for maximum nutrition." When your food ad says your product tastes bad, you have a winner.

How do you take care of insoluable fibre on a soylent diet? Just looks like a fad diet item to me. That time saved not washing dishes they mention is gonna be used up pretty quick by sitting on the toilet without ruffage.

Flatfingers wrote:Mrs. Flatfingers is impatiently awaiting her first shipment of Soylent.

I'll let you know what it's like.

If it ever shows up.
Eh? I'd be curious to know what you think. Reviews say it works, but is utterly bland and boring... Its health food for rushing out the door, when you are having to eat breakfast in the car and want something better for you than fast food/donuts.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:I'd be curious to know what you think. Reviews say it works, but is utterly bland and boring... Its health food for rushing out the door, when you are having to eat breakfast in the car and want something better for you than fast food/donuts.
This is the person who recently told me, "I don't like to eat."

To me, that just sounds like "argle bargle morgle whoosh," but it'll probably work for her.

Assuming they ever deliver the stuff.

Katawa wrote:
Katorone wrote:I'm very much interested in any actual studies you can link that aren't studying people with a predisposition for bad bones.
If you want information specifically for bones, that's here but I don't have the subscription to quote you the relevant section.
Did your dietician suggest trying cutting out gluten first to see if that was as beneficial? Some people have minor wheat allergies without knowing it and can have the lethargic or cloudy feeling you described. Sometimes it's just the availability of easy energy and switching your diet to more complex slow-release carbohydrates is a better option than upping fat or protein intake. The latter two causing bad cholesterol and kidney stones, or gout, respectively.
The Study wrote:The side effects encountered are related to the diet composition and the radical metabolic changes that results from a high fat, low carbohydrate and protein diet.
This isn't what a ketogenic diet is though. If you're going low protein, you'll have troubles. The general guide is to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of weight. There's no real danger of glucogenesis at these levels, specially in a keto-adapted state.

Cholesterol is the body serves a purpose. While LDL is more dangerous, on a ketogenic diet it tends to be more fluffy causing it to be less likely to stick to inflamed arteries. It's also worth nothing that loss of weight increases cholesterol.

The last dietician I visited years ago told me to not eat any fats, only lean meats and carbs. As a result I gained weight and my cholestorol, triglicerides and blood sugar level went up. I'm sure you'll agree that these three factors point to metabolic damage and the gain of visceral fat.

I agree that complex carbs are an excellent adition to the diet of a healthy person. I'm obese, so I don't consider myself healthy. I rather use the nutritional ketosis to lose weight, and reintroduce the right carbs at a stage where my metabolism has been repaired.

I'm not convinced that increased protein automatically increases the chances for gout. Purine alone might not be the main culprit in gout attacks. This paper suggests that inflammation is the main activator of the gout attacks. Cholesterol is needed against inflammation, which means a diet with enough omega 3 fatty acids would help to protect you against gout. I realise there are a lot of conflicting studies and whatnot. Sadly I can't afford to research this full-time, but I'm very interested in discussing this. I can only speak for myself when I say that I do feel the health benefits, and that being in nutritional ketosis has done well for my body and mind.
TLDR I'm convinced that the nutritional lacking foods like sweetened or diet beverages and processed foods with high fructose are a lot worse for you. Which doesn't take away that the complex carbs are a great addition to the diet of a healthy person.

Katawa wrote:How do you take care of insoluable fibre on a soylent diet? Just looks like a fad diet item to me. That time saved not washing dishes they mention is gonna be used up pretty quick by sitting on the toilet without ruffage.
The mix of soluble and insoluble fibers has also been tweaked slightly. The majority of Soylent's fiber comes straight from the oat fiber, but there is additional fiber in the form of xanthan gum and gum acacia. Rhinehart said that this is to round out the recommended daily fiber requirement and to make Soylent more gut-friendly.
There are a lot of people that add psyllium husk on top of this.

Katorone wrote: The last dietician I visited years ago told me to not eat any fats, only lean meats and carbs. As a result I gained weight and my cholestorol, triglicerides and blood sugar level went up.
He's absolutely right, as long as he said animal fats, he'd have to be a real asshole to tell you to avoid plant fats or oils, a total and complete asshole. Did you try a no wheat diet at any point?

Katawa wrote:
Katorone wrote: The last dietician I visited years ago told me to not eat any fats, only lean meats and carbs. As a result I gained weight and my cholestorol, triglicerides and blood sugar level went up.
He's absolutely right, as long as he said animal fats, he'd have to be a real asshole to tell you to avoid plant fats or oils, a total and complete asshole. Did you try a no wheat diet at any point?
She didn't no... Not that I really knew what it all meant back then anyway... But that's why I was seeking professional help in the first place.
Before I switched to ketogenic I tried removing all processed foods from my diet. It was more of a paleo-type (without the religion!) I guess. This included getting rid of wheat, and still eating fruits. I didn't really notice the same positive differences back then than I do now with being keto adapted.
But again... That's anecdotal.

When I'm back to a healthy weight I plan to integrate some fruits again in my living style.

I don't agree that saturated fat needs to be harmful. There's plenty of research that supports this.

Katorone wrote:How much weight are you talking about?
40lbs.
Flatfingers wrote:Mrs. Flatfingers is impatiently awaiting her first shipment of Soylent.

I'll let you know what it's like.

If it ever shows up.
Wife got hers on Saturday and is now in day 4 of nothing but soylent. She's actually enjoying it. She was one of the backers and there was a small hiccup in the ordering but their production is in full force and should have it out to everyone soon. I know they didn't want to start shipping unless they were capable of sustaining shipments (they didn't want people to get the first order and have to wait for a second).
Katawa wrote:"Unlike other foods that are made to taste great, soylent is engineered for maximum nutrition." When your food ad says your product tastes bad, you have a winner.

How do you take care of insoluable fibre on a soylent diet? Just looks like a fad diet item to me. That time saved not washing dishes they mention is gonna be used up pretty quick by sitting on the toilet without ruffage.
Wife says soylent tastes more like cookie dough than anything. As for fiber, she's actually more regular now than ever--but not overdoing it--so I'm not sure the biological processes going on there.

There are some other perks for her too. She's less tired in the mornings and generally more energetic throughout the day. She's consuming about 5% less the calories (for her target weight) she should be getting because she's just not hungry and it stays with her more.

In fact, she's liking it so much, she wants to try a whole month instead of just a week on it.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now