Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: New GTX 970 / 980 released

As much as I am an nvidia fanboy, I'm going to have to wait for AMD's equivelent. But it's good to know the 970 and 980 released since that means AMD isn't far behind.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

MrPerson wrote:I wish I had cash to spend on upgrades this large. I just upgraded from a GTX 650 (non Ti) to a GTX 760 4gb, a whole world of difference there. I can never afford these top of the line cards until they are a few years outdated and cheaper :(
I tend to hang on to cards until they're well past their prime.

One thing I started doing a while back was being careful when I buy one nice new card to make sure it can be run in dual SLI (or its AMD equivalent) mode. After the first card starts having a little trouble, I pick up a second of the same type for a relatively very low price. Running in dual mode keeps me going for a while longer until it's once again time to upgrade to the next generation (usually because games then are demanding more VRAM).

I ran dual 8800s for a very long time as the price/performance ratio was phenomenal. No card since has offered similar value, but I find it's still a useful strategy for stretching my budget while still being able to play most games with a decent frame rate.

MrPerson wrote:I wish I had cash to spend on upgrades this large. I just upgraded from a GTX 650 (non Ti) to a GTX 760 4gb, a whole world of difference there. I can never afford these top of the line cards until they are a few years outdated and cheaper :(
That's a very respectable upgrade, MrPerson. I've just invested in a GTX 750 Ti for my current build because it was being offered at a very reasonable price. I'm trying to keep my rig ticking over until I'm ready for the new build. The 750 Ti does a good job with Skyrim, ED and SC so I intend leaving my upgrade for as long as I can. ;) :D But I will definately purchase another Nvidia card as I've experienced problems with AMD cards in the past.

I suppose you could call me an Nvidia fanboy. :lol:

Victor Tombs wrote:
That's a very respectable upgrade, MrPerson. I've just invested in a GTX 750 Ti for my current build because it was being offered at a very reasonable price. I'm trying to keep my rig ticking over until I'm ready for the new build. The 750 Ti does a good job with Skyrim, ED and SC so I intend leaving my upgrade for as long as I can. ;) :D But I will definately purchase another Nvidia card as I've experienced problems with AMD cards in the past.

I suppose you could call me an Nvidia fanboy. :lol:
Ah a fellow 750Ti owner! I purchased it for the power efficiency (Very nice not having to run PCI power cables to it) And I have to say I am quite stunned at how much it can do for such low wattage.

im with magus here, i'll wait for the AMD equivalent, as im tired of nVidias propeitary stuff.

3D glasses: you need a propeitary extension which you use to control propeitary glasses.

G-Sych: you need to buy a 100€ more expensive screen to get the same effect of what AMD has just included in the latest display port standard...

and a nasty story i heard about the "the way its ment to be played" program.
(im not sure if this is true, but i tend to trust my collegues at work)

basically nVidia gives the devs a libary with optimised shader programs, you have to use the libary nVidia gives to you, even if you only want to try it.
those shaders work on both nVidia and AMD
so now you optimise around the shader libary and everything runs fine.

so now the day before you finalise your build nVidia gives you a new vesion of the libary which just works like shit
and at the same time they include the working shader libary in their drivers.

so now the game which used to work fine on both manufacturers cards only works good on nVidia cards and amd gets the flak for bad drivers

again: i only heard that from a collegue, i do not claim any security on that information

For years I used cards from BFG Technologies. They really looked after their customers and I was sad to see them leave the field of play. As I said, I've had some bad experiences with AMD in the past which may have prejudiced my view of their products. I hated their software.

I can't say I have any problem with the propriety stuff, Cornflakes, but I can see it might be of concern to others. cost and the like. :angel:

As to your story concerning oppressed coding professionals, Cornflakes. Well, let's admit it, they never stop whinging do they. :P :lol:

My reasons are actually a bit more basic. AMD has more processing 'cores' than nvidia. Even though nvidia's are more efficient and more powerful, AMD has the brute force raw power.

Same reason why bitcoin mines faster on AMD hardware than nvidia (do people still use video cards for that?). Offloading CPU processing to GPU will be better on AMD.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now