Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Random Rage Thread

Yeah, except it was 2 random temporary lights, and I know for a fact they were fine before, then set aside during the storm and then put back...
So I'm 99 percent sure they accidentally switched them around :ghost:
(Also, if your simulation fails to predict a very large traffic jam, then your simulation is flawed)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Ordered item from vendor. Vendor stated 8-14 business day manufacturing time. Vendor took 16 business days. Carrier stated 1-3 day shipping time. Carrier took 5 days. Carrier attempted delivery while I was not home. Carrier returned package to office. Office closes at 5. Made concerted effort to arrive at and leave work early. Traffic into and out of work was worse than usual. Other drivers drove under the speed limit. Several emergency vehicles halted traffic on their way to an incident.

Arrive at office at 5:02. Office closed. Door locked. Package still inside. Me, outside. Employees, indifferent.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

:cry:

Dave Mark, with whom I worked (very distantly) on the Storybricks project, was struck late yesterday at GDC by a car that ran a red light.

He's now had surgery for two brain bleeds, plus a fractured hip. At one point he did show awareness, but was confused. His wife has flown to San Francisco to be with him.

This is absolutely horrible. It would be bad enough if this happened to anyone, but Dave is not only one of the most phenomenal minds in game AI, he is also a really decent guy. The outpouring of sympathy for him, from people all over the game development industry, has been remarkable.

If I were the advice-giving type, I'd suggest: say something nice today to someone you care about. You just never know.

Not actually rage, but I did want to take a moment to note that Dave Mark survived his accident.

He's finally out of the hospital in San Francisco, out of the rehab facility, and back home now, trying to get his leg and shattered pelvis working again. Every day hurts... but he's still here. And that's good.

OK, now I have some rage.

Earlier this week I started a new playthrough of the original Crysis. Great fun as always, especially now that I can crank everything up to "Very High."

A couple of nights ago, I installed the latest Win 10 patches.

Now Crysis won't run. I've reinstalled it, deleted the old Profiles and Savegames folders, tried starting the bin64 version directly, tried every compatibility mode setting -- nothing works.

From the error message when I try to directly start the 64-bit executable, the culprit may be SecuROM, the DRM Crytek used to try to protect the game. I'm guessing the latest Win 10 patch finally disabled SecuROM's accesses once and for all. But I can't find any firm confirmation of that anywhere.

Super-disgusted right now. :evil:

Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:30 am
OK, now I have some rage.

Earlier this week I started a new playthrough of the original Crysis. Great fun as always, especially now that I can crank everything up to "Very High."

A couple of nights ago, I installed the latest Win 10 patches.

Now Crysis won't run. I've reinstalled it, deleted the old Profiles and Savegames folders, tried starting the bin64 version directly, tried every compatibility mode setting -- nothing works.

From the error message when I try to directly start the 64-bit executable, the culprit may be SecuROM, the DRM Crytek used to try to protect the game. I'm guessing the latest Win 10 patch finally disabled SecuROM's accesses once and for all. But I can't find any firm confirmation of that anywhere.

Super-disgusted right now. :evil:
Sorry to hear that Flat, it's comments like yours that has me nay-saying that I'll happily stick with Windows 8.1, unless Linux makes a doozy and I'll jump over the fence.
In the meantime, have you read this?
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Thanks, Formal. I did go to a number of sites for advice, and tried the most common suggestions with no success.

As I'm on Win 10, even the site you linked to basically said I'm outta luck and would have to repurchase the game from GOG or Steam to be able to replay it.

I might do that at some point. For now, I guess I'll go back to replaying Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight again until someone releases a playable alpha for their Kickstartered game project.... ;)

Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:49 pm
Thanks, Formal. I did go to a number of sites for advice, and tried the most common suggestions with no success.

As I'm on Win 10, even the site you linked to basically said I'm outta luck and would have to repurchase the game from GOG or Steam to be able to replay it.

I might do that at some point. For now, I guess I'll go back to replaying Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight again until someone releases a playable alpha for their Kickstartered game project.... ;)
the disc code may works in steam.

Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:30 am
everything
I don't mind it when DRM accomplishes its purpose, but too often it breaks or something goes wrong, or it's just not user-friendly. I get the purpose of it and I won't deny that in many cases it's important, but it should never, ever hurt the actual customer.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:20 pm
I don't mind it when DRM accomplishes its purpose, but too often it breaks or something goes wrong, or it's just not user-friendly. I get the purpose of it and I won't deny that in many cases it's important, but it should never, ever hurt the actual customer.

100% this, with the proviso that it's hard to guess what may be the case 11 years after you release your game... but you're still around, code your own official patch that disables dead security, dammit.

When no one in the town you moved to can actually drive a car correctly.

I have been almost killed like 4 times from people not being able to drive correctly. It's like after crossing into city limits people spontaneously forget how a 4 way stop works, what turn signals are, why stopping in the middle of the road is bad, or why you shouldnt ramdomly swerve into oncomming traffic. Every time someone almost nails me, that one scene from the first resident evil plays in my head.
Libertas per Technica

Online Now