Return to “Everything & Anything”

Random Rage Thread

title is pretty self explaining.

a general any-topic thread to make your rage some room and may get some advice on it.

i'll start with my current rage:

AAARRGH!!

i hate this new UI sheme on my PadFone 2.

asus just had to destroy this almost-stock experience to some childish-pastell colored-toy UI sheme!

and the worst is that it refuses to change despite my rooted system changing tool usage!

i just want stock android 4.4 :(
Re: Random Rage Thread

Katawa wrote:Expressing rage feels good and as such makes you more prone to express rage in the future, it's technically a bad thing.
Some have said the same thing about "violent video games."

I don't know that I endorse "rage," but as long as people are willing and able to chuckle at themselves, a thread for stuff that bugs us seems tolerable.

...but then I would say that, wouldn't I?

The argument for violent video games and other media is that observing its violence will make you more violent. This hasn't been the case because we can tell the difference been reality and fantasy. In the case of venting it's an action you are personally taking, humans are creatures of habit and if a habit feels goods we reinforce it.
The more applicable paper I wanted to cite isn't publicly available anymore, but this one is still saying it's not good.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

That's a fair point. Would a viable solution then be, "Don't make a habit of venting your gripes?"

I actually endorse that personally. I don't make a habit of being negative precisely because I don't want it to become a habit.

On the other hand, there is the "stuff eats you up if you hold it in" theory. For that matter, there seem to be a lot of people these days convinced that lots of things are bad (oppression, sexism, racism, etc., etc.), and every opportunity must be taken to expose those behaviors or they won't change.

On balance, "this annoys me; now I've mentioned it so I'm done talking about it" seems like a not-unreasonable balance between letting everything build up inside and constant grievance-mongering.

Best not to make a habit of grumbling, though. I agree with you there.

Nothing wrong with manual if you enjoy it really but unless you're hauling serious weight on steep terrains there's really no advantage. Automatic has been more efficient for a long time.

Today's internal monologue at work: "Put that stupid backscratcher back in its proper bin or else I'll smash your goddamn skull in with a rusty tailpipe. STOP TOUCHING EVERYTHING."

I used to think that the idea of putting a child on a leash was borderline abuse, but then I started working retail and the whole idea sounded like it should be mandatory.

Edit: Also, filtering the F-word to "frakking"? The lamest minced oath in the history of substitute swears for ten-year-olds and for when crotchety relatives are around? Come on. It looks dumb. Go with "freaking" or no filter at all.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Gotta beat your kids so they don't do things. If you don't they turn out angry. It's counter-intuitive I know. The trick is to have a reason to beat them, inconsistency will mess up any animals learning.

AAARRRGGGHHH, none of my dates have a schedule at all similar to mine except for the first date that goes really well :evil:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Grumblesaur wrote:Edit: Also, filtering the F-word to "frakking"? The lamest minced oath in the history of substitute swears for ten-year-olds and for when crotchety relatives are around? Come on. It looks dumb. Go with "freaking" or no filter at all.
Do you mean because of Battlestar, or in general? I always thought the rise of this was because of BSG and not because of self-censoring, because it was a part of the 'lore' that went with it.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
Grumblesaur wrote:Edit: Also, filtering the F-word to "frakking"? The lamest minced oath in the history of substitute swears for ten-year-olds and for when crotchety relatives are around? Come on. It looks dumb. Go with "freaking" or no filter at all.
Do you mean because of Battlestar, or in general? I always thought the rise of this was because of BSG and not because of self-censoring, because it was a part of the 'lore' that went with it.
It doesn't matter where it came from -- anyone who uses "frakking" in an unironic context sounds like a total goof.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Online Now