Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Movies!

Saw The Grey today and was pleasantly surprised by the film. It turns out that The Grey is an effective survival movie. I felt somewhat lukewarm about it going in. Liam Neeson has developed something of a reputation for playing dark, brooding, heroes in second rate action movies. The makers of The Grey seem more interested in nature - the human variety, the capitalized environmental principle, and the relation between the two -than in establishing a jaded antihero's credentials.

Sure, the movie does get sentimental and a on occasion even a touch hammy. Still, it never gets bogged down by maudlin excess, never feels rushed, and arrives at its conclusion in a satisfyingly organix manner.

For those who have not seen it and are interested in a movie that asks some interesting questions about Man's place in Nature, you could do far worse that to spend 2 hours watching The Grey.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Tom, if you're a fan of Dan Harmon (creator of Community and Rick and Morty), he has a podcast that talked about The Grey in one of his episodes (forget which one) and they made light of it quite a bit. If you're a fan of the guy, might want to check it out.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DW, prior to your post, I was unfamiliar with Harmon, his podcast, and much of his work. After a superficial perusal of Harmon and his work I would say that Rick and Morty sounds like something that I may very well enjoy.

As concerns Harmon's four and a half minute take on The Grey it is primarily a send-up of Liam Neeson, who has admittedly become something of an action movie caricature. Harmon's bit is amusing even if he settles for the low-hanging fruit of Neeson impressions and critiquing the overuse of the word fucking. That Harmon found nothing of value in The Grey beyond creating a short skit is obvious. Whether that is because the movie has little redeeming value or because Harmon was unwilling or unable to find such is almost impossible to discern from what he has said on his podcast.

While The Grey is hardly a masterpiece, I found it to hold my interest and to resonate beyond any expectation I had when I pushed the play button on Netflix.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Surprisingly, I myself am a little bit of a Liam Neeson fan. However, I listened to the podcast first and can't even see the title card on Netflix without thinking about telescopes taped to microscopes. I probably would have enjoyed the movie, but now I can't even seem to take it seriously as I giggle like a schoolgirl whenever I think of the podcast.

Glad you liked it! :thumbup:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Well I might as well bring up that Avengers Age of Ultron trailer, pretty damn awesome! It had something in it that I've been waiting for for years to see and while it showed little to no story it was still great as a teaser. I foresee a midnight viewing in my future.:D
The only limit is the one you set.

Online Now