Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Movies!

Rogue One was very good. Much better than the trailers suggested. It's much better than TFA. Despite the darker tone, I actually feel like watching this one again, something I can't say about TFA.

This movie feels like a war film, not the swashbuckling adventures of the original trilogy. The combat is more kinetic, brutal, and gritty than we've ever seen before. And it tells and original story, given character motivations for things that went unexplained in Ep 4 ANH.

Anyway, I don't want to give away too much. If you're on the fence about the movie, you should go and see it. You won't be disappointed.
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:just watched "passengers" and besides the engineering plot holes its a very enjoyable film.
would watch again, probably will :D
0.5c top speed.
120 year journey
minimum acceleration of 7.92 cm/s²

5280 people on board
Being really really lenient and using the titanic as the obviois frame of reference...
titanic held 3500 and weighed aprox 53000 ton
assuming therefore 15.1 ton per person
(which is retardedly lenient) then it would require the ship to be 79900 tons.

Multiplied against acceleration to get force from thos ION engines gets 6.3 million newtons per second.

Using VASIMR ion thrusters, for which I highly doubt the numbers presented on wikipedia...
You would need 1.2 million of the things, giving a combined power draw of 253 gigawatts...

which is 58% of the total power draw of the united states in 2008.

assuming a 50% efficient magical fusion reactor, producing 4.41x10¯¹² Joules per helium atom created, using 4 hydrogen atoms. (Proton proton cycle)
This would require 0.095 moles of Hydrogen per second or about 96 miligrams of hydrogen per second
So a mimimum of 364 tons of hydrogen with no stops...

Where was the god dammed fusion fuel ltanks on that ship?
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote: So a mimimum of 364 tons of hydrogen with no stops...

There was enough not shown volume to hide 350 tons of hydrogen, but not for the thousands and thousands of tons of reaction mass :ghost:
I just wanted to start with the minimum size of the fueltank. :V
Wanted to see how realistic the numbers would be on the fusion power plant. That itself is plausable, if massive, but the engines quickly get a little crazy.
The actual Ion engines would need impulse at levels reaching "magic" to be able to get away with less than 10:1 fueltanks:ship
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Silverware wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote: So a mimimum of 364 tons of hydrogen with no stops...

There was enough not shown volume to hide 350 tons of hydrogen, but not for the thousands and thousands of tons of reaction mass :ghost:
I just wanted to start with the minimum size of the fueltank. :V
Wanted to see how realistic the numbers would be on the fusion power plant. That itself is plausable, if massive, but the engines quickly get a little crazy.
The actual Ion engines would need impulse at levels reaching "magic" to be able to get away with less than 10:1 fueltanks:ship
They should have hired you as a technical consultant!
I like hard sci fi. I was hoping Prometheus would scratch that itch, and I ended up being so disappointed with the stupidity of that movie. Europa Report was pretty good though. And I really enjoyed Interstellar, even though they took a few liberties. The Martian and Sunshine a great too.
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

Arclite wrote:They should have hired you as a technical consultant!
I like hard sci fi. I was hoping Prometheus would scratch that itch, and I ended up being so disappointed with the stupidity of that movie. Europa Report was pretty good though. And I really enjoyed Interstellar, even though they took a few liberties. The Martian and Sunshine a great too.
Martian is one of the VERY few that managed to be hard sci-fi, because it did so well to follow the book's plot.

I would love to work on a movie that was a truely hard sci-fi, ideally a space war between two species. :D
Firing nukes hundreds of years before they will hit a target is a cool idea. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Arclite wrote: They should have hired you as a technical consultant!
Just reading projectrho is a lot cheaper and easier :V

Victor Tombs wrote:I've just found out that Kate is back as Selene in Underworld: Blood Wars. :D :D

:shifty: Okay I admit I was a bit slow in noticing but I've been distracted lately. Love the Underworld franchise. :angel:
Sadly it's a pretty shit movie, but at least she still looks great.

Online Now