Return to “Everything & Anything”

Movies!

We have threads for Music and Books. Why not add one for Movies?

I recently saw Bong Joon-ho's Snowpiercer. The deliberately contrived plot strings together a series of set-pieces. Part social commentary, part survival tale, and part satire the film is heavy on style while also managing a tense visceral tone. Truth to tell, I am not certain whether I actually enjoyed - in the truest sense of the word - Snowpiercer. Regardless, the movie's excellence and Bong's mastery over the medium are undeniable.

As a footnote, Bong's, The Host (from 2006) is the best monster movie I have seen in the new millennium.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.
Re: Movies!

Lum wrote:The last las movie I saw was "The Grandmaster". I liked it :thumbup:
Chungking Express is my favorite, but I quite like most of Wong Kar-wai's films.

Oh yeah, and most of the stuff with Bruce Lee.... Yes, I'm one of those types of people.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Tom wrote:
Chungking Express is my favorite, but I quite like most of Wong Kar-wai's films.
After being immersed in HK/Taiwanese cinema for awhile, one realizes it's all hipster nonsense with a heap of overacting.

Lum wrote:I'll try to get a copy of the, thanks for the tip Tom! :thumbup:
As a disclaimer, Chungking Express is not a period, kung fu, movie. Regardless, it is absolutely fantastic.

If you like wuxia movies, Wong's Ashes of Time is also worth a look. Some find the narrative hard to unravel - the key to the story lies in the title - and the action highly stylized. For those who can accept the movie on its own terms, Ashes of Time is a beautiful experience.

johncage wrote:
Tom wrote:
After being immersed in HK/Taiwanese cinema for awhile, one realizes it's all hipster nonsense with a heap of overacting.
Is there anything that you actually like? Or, are you this jaded about life as a whole?

Tom wrote:
As a disclaimer, Chungking Express is not a period, kung fu, movie. Regardless, it is absolutely fantastic.

If you like wuxia movies, Wong's Ashes of Time is also worth a look. Some find the narrative hard to unravel - the key to the story lies in the title - and the action highly stylized. For those who can accept the movie on its own terms, Ashes of Time is a beautiful experience.
Thanks again! I look forward to these movies :thumbup: I like the genre!
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Katawa wrote:Once upon a time a certain film blew my tiny little mind.
I knew there was something I liked about you. (Well, there is actually quite a lot to like about your posts.)

At any rate, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is fu_king great.

Online Now