Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Movies!

I enjoyed studying film in college; I almost considered a film minor. These days, however, it has been a difficult medium for me to get in to. Just letting go, and letting the producer / cinematographer / director / cast control the pace, is an act of patience. I seem to recently enjoy films that have some sort of allegorical message:

La Jetee is a classic: go watch it right now if you have 27 minutes and haven't seen it.
Ink, by Coloradan husband / wife team, James / Kiowa Winans, is a thought-provoking sleeper hit; it's not bad if you go in with low expectations and are ready for something different.

On the more mainstream end: I've also enjoyed The Life of Pi, and of course, Peter Jackson's epic Lord of the Rings hexalogy.
"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 131 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

So since I'm not a football fan, I went and saw Project Almanac yesterday in a near-empty theatre. Despite what critics say, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie including the ending.

Although, since it's something I liked (and people know my tastes), you guys may want to stay away. :lol:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:So since I'm not a football fan, I went and saw Project Almanac yesterday in a near-empty theatre. Despite what critics say, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie including the ending.

Although, since it's something I liked (and people know my tastes), you guys may want to stay away. :lol:
Thanks Magus, I want to see it too.
I have a monthly membership with a cineworld here in Dublin, so as long as I watch at least two movies a month, it's basically free cinema.

What tastes do you like?.. or should I be sending you a PM instead??
:oops: ;)
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

FormalMoss wrote:
DWMagus wrote:So since I'm not a football fan, I went and saw Project Almanac yesterday in a near-empty theatre. Despite what critics say, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie including the ending.

Thanks Magus, I want to see it too.
I have a monthly membership with a cineworld here in Dublin, so as long as I watch at least two movies a month, it's basically free cinema.

What tastes do you like?.. or should I be sending you a PM instead??
:oops: ;)
lol

Funny thing is, I don't think I've seen a movie SINCE then. When it comes to theaters, I prefer movies that I can turn my brain off, or just go to enjoy. If I want something I seriously want to pay attention to, I'll either rent it from redbox or watch it on netflix at home in a more intimate environment. Basically, go see fun movies in a fun environment and serious ones in a more practical one.

Imitation Game was great too. I think I may try and catch Kingsmen this weekend. I considered Chappie or Focus but I'm not too sure about those.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
lol

Funny thing is, I don't think I've seen a movie SINCE then. When it comes to theaters, I prefer movies that I can turn my brain off, or just go to enjoy. If I want something I seriously want to pay attention to, I'll either rent it from redbox or watch it on netflix at home in a more intimate environment. Basically, go see fun movies in a fun environment and serious ones in a more practical one.

Imitation Game was great too. I think I may try and catch Kingsmen this weekend. I considered Chappie or Focus but I'm not too sure about those.
Edit: Dang - accidentally hit Ctrl+Shift+W and closed down all my browser windows, including the really cool reply I was making.. so to recap quickly:

To CF, I would so love to egg you on further, but I don't want to frustrate you any more (from your comment on the banned thread) ;) :D

To Magus, I have never heard of redbox, is it like netflix?
I saw Kingsman, and I enjoyed it very much - Samuel LJ is brilliant, and I don't want to say all I want to until you see it - so just see it tonight, ok?
:thumbup: :lol: :wave:
:popcorn:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

FormalMoss wrote:To Magus, I have never heard of redbox, is it like netflix?
Redbox is a DVD/BluRay kiosk that's on the side of most stores and convenience stores nowadays. You can rent from one for something like $1-$1.50 a day. So rent, and dropping off the next day are really convenient. It's pretty much the non-digital form of renting nowadays many places for those that don't want to tie up their bandwidth or torrent.

Also, good to hear about Kingsmen! :thumbup:

After seeing Predestination, and an excellent Australian film called the Infinite Man, I have trouble imagining how a time travel film could outdo either of them. (Primer aside, no one understands that movie!) Was Project Almanac memorable, would you say Magus?

It was a decent movie, and one I'll probably end up owning. It wasn't too memorable, but I know I *really* liked the ending twist.

Scytale wrote:After seeing Predestination, and an excellent Australian film called the Infinite Man, I have trouble imagining how a time travel film could outdo either of them. (Primer aside, no one understands that movie!) Was Project Almanac memorable, would you say Magus?
Nobody understands Primer because it's inconsistent with itself.

If we're going with time-travel films I could host a lecture on them.
  • Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel is very British; it takes place almost entirely within a pub, has a deliberate B-movie feel, and is consistently funny though self-deprecation. It's about a group of guys who stumble through a time leak found in the pub toilets and try to find their way home. That's all the plot it needs. It's also one of the few films in which the time travel contained within it works (barring the ending). And on watching it a second time, there are several tiny, subtle details that really make it. After watching this film, I cannot listen to Total Eclipse of the Heart and take it seriously anymore.
  • 11 Minutes Ago is even more low-budget; a scientist from 48 years in the future travels back in time to collect an air sample to save his future. Instead he finds himself at a wedding reception with a film crew waiting, confusing him by telling him information they shouldn't know; when he gets a deep kiss from one of the bridesmaids, he spends the next two years of his life visiting the wedding reception in the wrong order, trying to romance the girl. Again, good time travel, and a second viewing gives new insight.
  • The Time Traveller's Wife, Midnight in Paris, About Time - I just want to mention these three films because they all have Rachel McAdams playing the wife of the time traveller; in all three films both the main character, and a second character, travel through time - in none of the three films does Rachel McAdams' character travel through time herself. Poor Rachel. These are all decent chick flicks, worth watching on a romantic night in I guess, but won't engage your brain if that's what you're looking for.
  • Steins;Gate - I never go without mentioning this. It has a film, so it counts. :mrgreen: Steins;Gate is a great time travel drama with fantastically written characters that, by the end of the series, you feel you know personally. Every element of the story is deliberate and important, even more than you ever thought possible. The visual novel shows alternative directions the story could've gone down depending on the timeline, and there are audio dramas set in these timelines to round out the universe even more. And finally, the OVA and movie, while completely unnecessary to the story, are enjoyable in themselves, again adding more to the universe. Like the first two films mentioned, a second viewing of the series/visual novel will change the way you view some scenes dramatically.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Online Now