Return to “Everything & Anything”

Forum Karma System

Can we get a system implemented where we can +1 posts that we agree with? They're fun and allows browsers to see what users are agreeing with. I don't think a negative feature is needed.
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”
Re: Forum Karma System

jawdan wrote:Can we get a system implemented where we can +1 posts that we agree with? They're fun and allows browsers to see what users are agreeing with. I don't think a negative feature is needed.
If you could find/point me to a phpbb plugin that does so, would be happy to install it! :)

EDIT : Working on installing one.

MORE EDIT : Ugh, turns out installing mods for this forum software is a royal pain. Will do it some other time when I have the time!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I think people will still say why they agree and will most definitely say if/why they don't. It's a nice thing to get simple positive feedback, though. And it encourages posts of decent content. :)
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

lets not eat up joshes already limited time. XD. the forums are fine as is. though if anything there's support for him to recruit a few forum admins and this i think is a very good direction to go in.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Grumblesaur wrote:I think it'd be best to NOT implement a forum karma system, as it seems kinda counter-productive to +1 ideas without saying WHY you agree.

It also occasionally contributes to "cult of personality" things, where people start to upvote everything a given user says.
I agree. I feel a karma system is bad in general. Honestly, I could write an entire essay about it, but... I have better things to do.

So I'll just agree (strongly) with Grumblesaur.

While I like the idea of a karma system, I think with how LT is starting to sprawl and how these forums are starting to get bigger, it might be more prudent to have Josh appoint a moderator instead first before anything else.

I'm starting to see that when I check these forums after just one day that the posts are growing rapidly. I also believe that as we get into the alpha and beta testing, Josh will probably want better management. This way he won't have to worry too much about chaos that will eventually come this way.

EDIT: D'oh! Didn't see the other thread on this topic already. Bleargh.

I'll revise my statement.

I like karma systems. :)

Just don't let your dogma get ran over by someone's karma.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

http://predestinationgame.com/community/index.php

uses a "thread karma" system - only no one uses it.
Sure, I got a few "coins" for some threads but it's so low it's not statistically relevant. Ergo useless.

Personal karma, like on the Stardock forums, is even worse.
You get as much karma for cool and funny posts as for useful ideas. Mostly for funny posts, though, because my posts (about very specific and simple issues) usually end up as a Wall Of Text with multiple levels of bullet points that few can be arsed to read. Or figure out.

You can't directly attach the "value" of an idea or the amount of effort put into a concept to a thread, either.
Take a look at this. This would be worth "1 karma" because frankly, no one would bother to rate every individual post.
Effectively it's "worth" as much as a picture of a farting rhinoceros.

So in theory, karma systems are a good thing. In practice, they do not tell a developer anything useful.
Sure, you could attach a poll to every thread. Could it get even more annoying?
Last edited by Gazz on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote: Personal karma, like on the Stardock forums, is even worse.
You get as much karma for cool and funny posts as for useful ideas. Mostly for funny posts, though, because my posts (about very specific and simple issues) usually end up as a Wall Of Text with multiple levels of bullet points that few can be arsed to read. Or figure out.
I'd like your posts, Gazz. ;)

I think one of the things jawden is trying to get across is something to give more of a 'community' feel to the forums. Something that allows people to feel a part of something aside from just posting an odd response here or there or lurking. Forums aren't really that interactive for everyone reading them, and I think he just wanted it to feel a bit more interactive.

Whether or not a karma system would help for that, who knows?

But yeah, like jawden said, I'd +1 your posts Gazz. :)
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

jawdan wrote:I'd like your posts, Gazz. ;)
But your avatar is a dancing stick man so you're officially weird. =P

Then again, this was the avatar I created to immortalize the shot-down UFO that appeared as the Evil Alien Barn in the tactical battle of a certain game... Image
DWMagus wrote:I think one of the things jawden is trying to get across is something to give more of a 'community' feel to the forums. Something that allows people to feel a part of something aside from just posting an odd response here or there or lurking. Forums aren't really that interactive for everyone reading them, and I think he just wanted it to feel a bit more interactive.
I'm not against the concept.
I just haven't come across a system that is used consistently, yet.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/forum.php
lets you rate every thread with 1-5 stars but since hardly anyone uses it, the first and only one to rate a thread basically dictates the number of stars. =P
Last edited by Gazz on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Just as a note, another forum i've been on for a while had a reputation system that allowed you to leave comments to the person along with giving them points.

I don't know if it exists for phpbb, but it's a nice touch if it can be worked.

Although, I agree that thanks/karma/rep usually doesn't end up being much more than an ego stroking thing(and this coming from someone who has "MC Status: 471576101, Thanked 535 Times in 443 Posts" on the forum I mod on ) :P

Gazz wrote: But your avatar is a dancing stick man so you're officially weird. =P
Oppa Gangnam Style! Hahaha :P

Online Now