Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: A Matter of Management

JoshParnell wrote:That being said, I would like to know if you guys feel that it is OK to have the moderators display as a special rank/color to make it obvious who's a mod, or if you would prefer for them to appear normal (be 'undercover')
Definitely visible.
We don't want a GESTAPO here.

That is required to keep people from sending PM "as a moderator".

Also, when a moderator tells people to BEHAVE in a thread, they almost always get the idea...
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Lanfranc wrote:In my experience it's often helpful to have moderators post in a different colour (traditionally red) when actively doing moderation, just to maintain a clear line between when they're posting as a moderator and when they're just participating normally in the discussion.
I like that only on developers. I find it convenient to have the dev team on a different colour, so it's easy to spot posts that contain official information.

Mods though... Not a big fan, although differently coloured names are fine with me.

Grumblesaur wrote:As a suggestion to other mods, if you're editing a post or making a warning/notice thread, use a different color so that people know it's your "moderator voice" and not your "member voice."
Personally I'm not in favour of overly colourful posts. (or edits)
It can direct too much attention to a small error that someone made.

If you decide to do that, as a matter of consistency I'd suggest you use the colour of the moderator group:
Shut up you I can haz edit.

Code: Select all

Shut up you [color=#00aa00]I can haz edit[/color].[/color].

Me, I'd rather add a note to the end of the post like...
{watch your language - Gazz}

This doesn't stand out as much and doesn't highlight every small infraction, distracting from the actual content of the thread - because then the infraction gets discussed...

If a FORMAL WARNING is issued, the user gets a PM with no punches pulled.
Behave. Or else.
There will be no public note of anything like that. That would only end up as a mud-slinging contest.

The forum also tracks "real" warnings. Do not think that there is such a thing as "the moderators have surely forgotten about it by now".

Reward trolls with publicly talking about what had to be done about them? Confirm how "bad" they are? Martyr them?
I think not.

That's why just about any forum has a rule of not (publicly) discussing moderator actions.
And that includes not bragging about them. =P

Online Now