Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: A Matter of Management

Gazz
Bele
Grumblesaur
DWMagus
Commander McLane

Have all been helpful around the place. Depends if they're willing, though. :P
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

jawdan wrote:Gazz
Bele
Grumblesaur
DWMagus
Commander McLane

Have all been helpful around the place. Depends if they're willing, though. :P
+1

Not only have they been very helpful, but each has been welcoming of new forum members, respectful in their manner, provided clear citations to key information in their posts, and gives well-reasoned responses when discussing topics.
I am 42.

I'd vote for Bele or Gazz to be a mod. They seem to be keeping tabs the most on all the happenings of the community.

Me? I'm just a huge nut on these types of games and getting in on the ground floor like this has me excited to be a part of the growing phase, and thus I'm just really interested in what everyone has to say. But I'm honored you'd think of me! :D
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

While I could do this and I have been a moderator over on the X3 forums for... I dunno... a while (*)... I'm not sure I would dedicate enough time to reading everything on the forums.
With some things I'm just... do not care.
That wouldn't be a big issue with multiple "general purpose" moderators, though.

I sure have no illusions about this being a glorious job or POWER OVERWHELMING. Mostly it amounts to taking the trash out and THWACKING posters who flap their jaws a bit too loosely.
Three strikes and you're out. No questions asked. No appeal.
This is what these people would get in a PM. No point in elaborating the no-BS stance of moderators in the general forum rules. It will never affect normal posters!
It's a lot easier to put the foot down right away... but be generous in interpreting the law in individual cases.
Some posters won't listen to reason. They get kicked. No loss.

I've already offered help with setting up rules and procedures because the rules for moderators are not the same as for forum users and the differences are not immediately obvious.

(*) The mods had a thread about who would qualify and at the time I was the only one unprepossessing enough for no one to have anything against me. =P
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:The mods had a thread about who would qualify and at the time I was the only one unprepossessing enough for no one to have anything against me.
<chortles> I was volunteered into an Admin/Mod position on the Oolite forum, and it really can become a time-sink. I've since retired as a full Admin/Mod, but retain the necessary forum permissions to approve/disapprove first posts, and delete spammers/spambots and other web pests who seek to join (of which there are a steady stream, with occasional tsunamis).
Oolite Naval Attaché

I've gone ahead and extended mod invitations to a few of the most active members. I'd like to make it clear that I'm not trying to pick favorites or leave anyone out, nor am I trying to establish some kind of power hierarchy. We're all one big space family here! My only intention with this maneuver is to alleviate a bit of the work of keeping the forums tidy, so that I can spend more time coding :)

That being said, I would like to know if you guys feel that it is OK to have the moderators display as a special rank/color to make it obvious who's a mod, or if you would prefer for them to appear normal (be 'undercover') so as not to establish some kind of power hierarchy. For now I've assigned special ranks/colors, but if it rubs you the wrong way, please let me know, and I will gladly change it if people generally don't like this move!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I would like to offer some help as a mod too.

I haven't had the chance to post too much yet, so I understand I won't be required now. I just wanted to make it known in case there are more vacancies in the future, when you've gotten to know me better. I usually stay miles away from things like these, but I like it here, so the more I can help...

Online Now