Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Introduce Yourself

Oops, this was supposed to be a PM.
Last edited by Tom on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Hi, I'm Commander McLane, and if you recognize my avatar, you know which country I'm from. ;)

I seem to be one of the older guys here, having played Elite on the C64 in 1985, and later again on the Atari ST (that must have been 1990ish). The sequels never interested me, though.

In 1995, I traded the ST for a Powerbook (followed by an iBook, and currently a MacBook Pro), thus entering a period of Elitelessness. The worst withdrawal symptoms could be treated with the games of the Escape Velocity series, namely EV Override and EV Nova.

Then I discovered Oolite in 2006, and my life changed. Not only was I back in the cockpit of a Cobra Mk III (which I have long since replaced with a sleek Imperial Courier), but I also was captivated by the possibilities opened by Oolite's amazing scripting engine, and have produced a fair number of OXPs (Oolite eXpansion Packs). I'm also an active member of the Oolite Bulletin Board, which takes pride in being "the friendliest board this side of Riedquat".

Shortly after a shiver of excitement about Elite: Dangerous (which I'm not currently backing due to some serious doubts about the nature and handling of its Kickstarter campaign) rolled over the Oolite boards, I stumbled across Limit Theory, and was hooked, not least because the story of a talented and visionary young programmer single-handedly re-inventing the space sim genre reminded me so strongly of the story of two talented and visionary young programmers single-handedly inventing the genre back in 1983. The rest—as they say—is history.

Naturally, my strongest desire with regard to Limit Theory is to see a Mac version, and to see it as soon as possible.

And as it happens, the next stretch goal has just been announced, and it is Mac and Linux support. :D :D :D

Which means that you have to excuse me now, because I have to go to Kickstarter and up my pledge, just as promised.

Didn't introduce myself yet!

Yeah I definely have to do it :D
I'm Roma, from Italy, Iin my free time I like drawing and video games (as you can imagine), I'm going to a technical school so I'm very interested in ICT!
In this years I have been playing lots of interesting games and I really enjoyed some of them. As you can see I'm not that good at English but we have to start, somehow...
I learned Pascal and now I'm studying java and luckily I can use them better than English.
I loved LT from the moment I saw it because it's the kind of game for me and I really admire the job that Josh is doing and I wish I will program like him.
This is a great project and I saw very interesting people on this forum so I hope I will stay here for a long time.
Image roma

Hi! I'm Mark (Markyparky56)

I found the Kickstarter a couple days ago and thought it was a brilliant project and idea. If it weren't for the fact that I can't donate money I would've already backed it.
I love space games (mostly Star Wars, however I enjoy most others) and science fiction in general. I find that this will definitely be one to buy once it goes on general release.

On top that I'm also budding programmer and working on my own project (coincidently also involving procedural generation) and will watch this project with earnest.
cout << "Hello Universe!";

Hi,

I'm Karel (kspn) I have been playing these sorts of games since Master of Orion and the Old 'X' games and I am looking forward to seeing how this one goes.

The concept looks awesome and should be lots of fun :)

I am a Geek, actually I work in programming and in an office of Geeks, I am known as the Office Geek :ugeek:

Looking forward to the first time i can get my hands on the game
No Coffee, No Workee

Hi, I'm me and I'm a gamer.
Crowd: Hi, you!
(These anonymous meetings always freak me out a bit.)

I've been playing games since "nibble" was still a serious unit. Played them all, eventually modded most of them. ELITE was the shit, though. Real 3D wireframes with hidden lines! Hidden lines, man! Seriously! In a game! You've never seen anything like it before!
I don't want to know how many games I have played exactly. It has to be some embarrassing number.

Sadly there will be no modding in this one (not to any noticeable degree anyway) but that doesn't automatically make it a bad game. I'm buying it so... I guess the game has already won. I'm a sucker. =P

I'll drink to that. 1d6 says... 4.
Cheers!
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Hi, I'm J, also known as Darkest. (I know, original, right? :P)

I'm a big fan of open ended games, and games that give you freedom, which is what initially attracted me to Josh's project. What really caught my attention was the ship customization, actually giving us the tools to make our own path? Kudos to you man. :D

I can't wait for the Beta to begin, and sincerely hope I have a chance at helping make this masterpiece. ^_^
For some, darkness is a source of fear...
For others, darkness is all they know.

hey, I'm zelet, or just zd, anyway, I am 17 and I found this game the other day, and I decided to register here.. I really enjoy these types of games so naturally I am looking extra forward to this one :mrgreen:
Everybody seeks happiness! Not me, though! That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria!

Hi all :)

My name is Godwin, I have been interested in games ever since I was allowed to play them (was BEAST (yes the DOS squashing of 'H'-s, had so much 2 player fun) the first? Castle? The games on the Atari 2600?... I don't remember), and things really kicked off when my mother bought Ultima V (she actually had bought it just for her and reluctantly showed to me after playing a bit secretly: what she feared happened: in no time I was playing it a lot more (and more succesful) than she was, and it became one of my all time favourites).
When I was about 9-10 I learned myself QBASIC (just by reading the help and trying stuff out) and programmed my first roguelike.
I made some more small games and taught myself C++ but quickly turned to making levels and mods for warcraft, duke nukem, etc etc etc all the way up to Battle for Wesnoth about 9 months ago when I got hired as Designer for a Dutch Game Studio.

Oh, I also studied astrophysics in between, and did 2 years of heiroglyphs evening study and a half year (but 4 courses) of philosophy.

And there's a lot more I can tell but I'll leave it at that :)

Oh wait, let's list some of my favourite space games: Starflight, TIE Fighter, Freelancer, EVE Online (if it weren't for their progression system >_<), X3:TC

Well met all :)

Hi everyone! I also joined today.

I've been dying for a good space simulator. They don't seem to exist. I've been riding my hopes on Infinity: the Quest for Earth, but following them gets to be disheartening due to their major lack of updates. And they are taking forever to get anywhere. If Limit Theory is promised for 2014, then I am super excited!

I think Josh is managing this project very well and I feel like I share his vision of what a space sim should be.

Hi, my online nickname is madjo. I'm from The Netherlands.

In the past, I have played Frontier and Oolite, and a couple of other space sims and space themed games (Homeworld for instance), these types of space games have a big draw on me. Currently on Android I play Star Traders, which is kind of like Elite, except without any 3d.

I decided to back LTheory, because Josh has said he's going to try for a Linux native release (it's not make or break for me, but it's a want-to-have feature) and the demos of Limit Theory were just spectacularly beautiful. A limitless universe where I can just fly around in, do some trading or pirating or whatever floats my boat and the use of seeded universes is very interesting. And of course I could own a planet!
avatar made from a photo by abbyreed

Hi, I'm TheRowan (aka Twizzler). I'm a 27-year old sailor, from the United Kingdom. I found this project through Elite: Dangerous, having been a big fan of Frontier and First Encounters when I was younger... but LT seems more like the game I would like to see as an Elite sequel than E:D does (saying that, I'm still backing both!)

I've been interested in procedural generation ever since playing Traveller as a child and running through the random system generator in that. I can't wait to see how LT's universe pans out.

Online Now