Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Random

"The two Voyagers will outlast Earth," said Bill Kurth, co-author of one of the papers and a research scientist at the University of Iowa. "They're in their own orbits around the galaxy for five billion years or longer. And the probability of them running into anything is almost zero."
Oolite Naval Attaché

Cody wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:47 am
"The two Voyagers will outlast Earth," said Bill Kurth, co-author of one of the papers and a research scientist at the University of Iowa. "They're in their own orbits around the galaxy for five billion years or longer. And the probability of them running into anything is almost zero."

Kurth must be a friend of Ogilvy, the astronomer -- he made "million-to-one" predictions, too.

Regarding the Milky Way from Andromeda, here's how Space Engine thinks it might look from orbit around a planet whose star is conveniently located on the Milky Way side of the Andromeda Galaxy's central bulge:

The big blob near the top middle is the elliptical galaxy M110, one of the dwarf galaxy companions of the Andromeda Galaxy.

There's some speculation that Space Engine exaggerates the brightness of objects. Even so, this gives a rough impression of the size of the Milky Way and its tilt as seen from Andromeda.

I maintain my brother's PC (and his laptops, which he uses for work - he's a DJ), and sort out minor problems by phone. He's 79, and until recently he was on the ball, but now... well, it just took me over half an hour to explain how to use the sort function in Windows Explorer. I expect I'll end up the same way... if I live long enough, that is!

Oolite Naval Attaché

Does anybody know what happened to May the Third? 'Cause I want to know what I missed. :think:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

A lot has happened. :D
  • Josh reappeared, disappeared, reappeared again. Then he ran out of money and had to get a real job, and lost all motivation to continue. Limit Theory is sadly no more.
  • Josh said he was going to release the source code, but he has not done so yet.
  • I became Community Manager for a while. Now I'm not, but I can't change my color back and Josh hasn't changed me back.
  • We've mostly moved to IRC and Discord. (come to IRC and discord!) Most of the IRC community is still around. DWMagus, Cornflakes, Dinosawer, Fawkes, Outlander, etc. We play games sometimes (DWMagus's famous Drunk Gaming Nights) and Dinosawer is currently serving as the DM for some DnD sessions we're doing.
  • Taiya kills bots. She kills many, many bots. Usually five or more a day.
  • Taiya also has 2000+ quotes recorded, if you want to look through them :D (In IRC)
  • REKT is still a thing, in a halved capacity. (Current limit is 10 members.) There's an open spot! But sadly, robots aren't a thing at the moment. Aliens are, though, oddly enough: I made a bunch of alien types, and REKT lore has greatly expanded. No longer are inmates confined to the tartarus. They have a huge star map to explore, and things are less combat-focused and more roleplay-focused, with huge moments of combat interspersed. It works pretty well. Maps are far shinier than before and I'm still doing my renders.
  • Silverware got married!
  • Dinosawer got engaged!
  • I finally moved out! I'm living with my girlfriend now, as of about six months ago.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:26 am
A lot has happened. :D
  • Josh reappeared, disappeared, reappeared again. Then he ran out of money and had to get a real job, and lost all motivation to continue. Limit Theory is sadly no more.
  • Josh said he was going to release the source code, but he has not done so yet.
  • I became Community Manager for a while. Now I'm not, but I can't change my color back and Josh hasn't changed me back.
  • We've mostly moved to IRC and Discord. (come to IRC and discord!) Most of the IRC community is still around. DWMagus, Cornflakes, Dinosawer, Fawkes, Outlander, etc. We play games sometimes (DWMagus's famous Drunk Gaming Nights) and Dinosawer is currently serving as the DM for some DnD sessions we're doing.
  • Taiya kills bots. She kills many, many bots. Usually five or more a day.
  • Taiya also has 2000+ quotes recorded, if you want to look through them :D (In IRC)
  • REKT is still a thing, in a halved capacity. (Current limit is 10 members.) There's an open spot! But sadly, robots aren't a thing at the moment. Aliens are, though, oddly enough: I made a bunch of alien types, and REKT lore has greatly expanded. No longer are inmates confined to the tartarus. They have a huge star map to explore, and things are less combat-focused and more roleplay-focused, with huge moments of combat interspersed. It works pretty well. Maps are far shinier than before and I'm still doing my renders.
  • Silverware got married!
  • Dinosawer got engaged!
  • I finally moved out! I'm living with my girlfriend now, as of about six months ago.
A smattering of Nice and Concerning.

But what about May 03? :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:09 pm
What is this "May 03" I keep hearing about? :oops:
The day that everyone and their dog showed up to the forum. :ghost:

Online Now