Return to “Everything & Anything”

Before spaceships we need... rockets!

In another topic I mentioned that perhaps I would like to make my own space game. But before we can begin to fly we have to learn how to walk, and the first step before reaching the skies is to find out how to get up from the ground. I'm trying to reproduce the experiments of von Braun with rockets in the forties. I named the first prototype the V3, just the first in a series of rockets and missiles.

Take into account that this is something I made for fun. Yes, I know is a bit silly. And yes, I know is too simplistic. But whatever. It's just a first step. I have little experience with CryEngine, so I'm just figuring out how things work.

First, the concept:

The next step was to traslate the thing to the engine:

Then make it work. Until now, I'm not using fuel, but I want to create a full funtional system for the rocket, and that includes fuel, of course, and all components, like the warhead, the radio control gear, alcohol and liquid oxygen tanks, combustion chamber, etc, with different textures for every part.

And here we have a video of the V3 in flight:

As I say in the description, don't pay too much attention to the background and decoration. So far almost everything is just placeholder and is intended to be replaced eventually. The textures are very low resolution (1024x1024 pixels merely) and will also be replaced.

The video was made with the 3.5.7 edition of CryEngine, prior to the current version. The capture was made with FRAPS and video editing was made with Movie Maker. I'm not a video editor and had never edited a video before, so don't expect special effects. Just enough to get the job done. 8-)

So, today we start with rockets. But one day we are going to go to the Moon and beyond. More complex spaceships are in the way. :D

If you have a comment to make, please do so. I can take it. :mrgreen:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima
Re: Before spaceships we need... rockets!

Charley_Deallus wrote:I can't wait until you start riding them on their crazy journeys. Watching you fly up, then upside down, and then crash into the ground with a big keBEWM would be interesting to watch.
In fact... that's not a bad idea at all. Now I have to find a "voluntary" to the experiment, if you know what I mean. ;) ;) ;)
Flatfingers wrote:As a starting effort with Unity, this is not bad at all. (Are you looking forward to Unity 5 announced at GDC today?)
It's not Unity but CryEngine. I did something with Unity in the past, but it's not finished.

Just a few hours ago I read about Unity 5 in Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Impressive.
Victor Tombs wrote:Thanks for the entertainment Etsu. :thumbup: It wasn't silly at all. It was funny and reminded me of those early KSP launch disaster videos. I look forward to purchasing your finished game on Steam (no pressure :lol: ).
Thank you very much. But to make this game more popular, I'm planning to let the player carry a gun and I'm considering hide some playboy magazines in the scenario that you can use to distract the nazi soldiers. :twisted:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:Apologies for my confusion. (But yes, Unity 5 does sound pretty appealing. :))
Oh, yes. But something crazy just happened.

Today Epic realized Unreal 4 to everyone to a very reasonable cost:

Unreal Engine 4

I am now: :o :shock: :wtf:
:shock: :shock: :shock: What the...my god, that really is unexpected. I will definitely be checking that out at some point, if only to read the source.

Btw, thanks for sharing your experiences Etsu, looks really good so far! :thumbup:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Seems that Crytek is making some move too
http://www.cryengine.com/news/crytek-an ... ce-program
From May this year, indie developers will be able to use all of CRYENGINE's cutting-edge features for a monthly subscription fee of 9,90 USD/EUR per user - royalty free. Those features include the recently announced addition of CRYENGINE features such as Physically Based Shading, Geometry Cache and Image Based Lighting - an upgrade already shown in action by Crytek at this year's GDC conference in San Francisco.

JoshParnell wrote:Btw, thanks for sharing your experiences Etsu, looks really good so far! :thumbup:
Thanks. I hope not to be the only one, and that other forum users decide to start their own projects too.
Flatfingers wrote:Has there ever been a better time for people with game ideas to get out there and build them?:)
Exactly! Now we only need Source 2. ;)
Groufac wrote:Seems that Crytek is making some move too
http://www.cryengine.com/news/crytek-an ... ce-program
I'm not sure if I am OK with this. Until now it was free. But is very cheap, so it will depend on how many extra tools can offer and how it can compit with Unreal tools.
Slymodi wrote:I feel like there aren't too many good 2d engines, but eh, that gives you the benefit of making your own engine, nice job Etsu! :thumbup: :wave:
Thanks. For 2D games it seems that Unity 5 is going to be a very interesting platform.

Slymodi wrote:I feel like there aren't too many good 2d engines, but eh, that gives you the benefit of making your own engine, nice job Etsu! :thumbup: :wave:

~Sly
2D is just 3d from a one angle. If you mean sprites, sprite are just images rendered onto squares. Any modern game engine is more than equipped to do 2d games.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Online Now