Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: All things Star Wars.

BFett wrote:I spotted an A-WIng in the hanger. Also wasn't too happy when Luke said he wanted to end the Jedi. I'm very uncertain I'll like the way Disney is moving the franchise.
Yea, I know they glossed over that he tried to rebuild the Order, but I liked all those books/games storylines about him rebuilding the Jedi order from young trainees in an old temple on Yavin IV, it was pretty interesting. He seems a little pessimistic for someone who defeated the Sith in a matter of a couple years. If Yoda shows anything, age only makes you more powerful. I would think he would want to continue to fight for the light.

I think the Jedi, as a concept, is flawed. So if he thinks something in those lines and wants to end that concept to build instead something different, it's o.k. for me. Remember what happened to the other side. They used to be legion and ended up destroying themselves until Bane came and imposed the Rule of Two. Maybe Luke thinks, after all those years, that the Force isn't a black/white entity looking for something or somebody to bring balance to it. Why don't forget the light and dark theme and concentrate to make the middle the standard right way of doing things?

In the days of the Republic, the Jedi were many. They knew that the dark was growing and believed that someone would bring the balance to the Force. I'm the only one who sees this theory flawed? If I have the numbers and the power, wouldn't be that balance-bringer something that helps the other side so that both sides are equally powerful? Or is the Jedi-meaning of "balance" another completely different? "Balance in the Force means that everything is light". If that's so, ending the Jedi, as a concept, seems logical from Luke's PoV, who after fighting to bring back the traditional Jedi-concept, found it pretty flawed.

Just my 2 cents :D
Last edited by Lum on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Well I need you guys to help me understand the history of the prophecy "one who will bring balance to the force.". I know this is mentioned in episode I but I really don't know the full context of the statement. Lum, I do agree with you, if Anakin was to bring balance, why would you train him rather than exterminate him. Also, I seem to remember Obi-Wan telling Qui-Gon "the boy is dangerous, the council sees it. Why don't you."

So perhaps this is true. Anakin, along with the help of Order 66 wiped out all the Jedi but one. Yoda spent the most time training Luke in the ways of the force. Luke was warned about the dark side and its quick and easy path. As far as the traditional Jedi religion being brought back by Luke, I really don't think that would happen. The Emperor would have likely destroyed most of the data pertaining to the teachings of the Jedi which would have made it very difficult to recreate an exact copy of the Jedi of old.

Also, is it strange to any of you that the text for Star Wars is red for this film, while all the others were yellow? Is this a distinction of how the Force might be viewed going forward? (Red=balanced Force Users, Yellow = Light Side, Dark Side Force users)

You sort of describe the prophecy pretty well, BFett. As I see it, the Jedi Council didn't want to train Anakin because they knew which consequences that could have for them. I believe the council members had an interpretation of the prophecy and that Qui-Gon thought otherwise. What I don't know is if Qui-Gon did it because his knowledge was incomplete and naive or because he thought that he could control the consequences. On the other hand, maybe the council members actually knew better (or weren't naive like Qui-Gon) and thought: "the darkness is coming and we don't know in which form, maybe the kid is the weapon they'll use. We can't risk to train him."

As for the red color... I'm pretty sure that they want to set the tone of the film from the start. This will be darker, people will die and Snoke will have his way for the time being. Maybe the third one will sport a blue color, to close the circle and so on...

Lum wrote:You sort of describe the prophecy pretty well, BFett. As I see it, the Jedi Council didn't want to train Anakin because they knew which consequences that could have for them. I believe the council members had an interpretation of the prophecy and that Qui-Gon thought otherwise.

What I don't know is if Qui-Gon did it because his knowledge was incomplete and naive or because he thought that he could control the consequences. On the other hand, maybe the council members actually knew better (or weren't naive like Qui-Gon) and thought: "the darkness is coming and we don't know in which form, maybe the kid is the weapon they'll use. We can't risk to train him.".
Well Qui-Gon's reply was that Anakin's fate was uncertain and that Anakin wasn't dangerous. His dying request was for Obi-Wan to train Anakin so I think Qui-Gon may have misinterpreted the prophecy. Obi-Wan should have taken Yoda's advice and not trained Anakin.

But that would have changed the story quite a bit.

I think he was attempting to train Anakin to make sure that the prophecy of destroying the sith would come true, as he thought it would be a Jedi destroying the sith AKA trained Anakin. He was also probably worried that Anakin would be discovered by the Sith and trained in the dark side for much longer. They just didn't expect for him to become a sith THEN destroy the sith. At least that is how I view it. (its a lot easier to process in my head, I am terrible at explaining things)

But (I hate to keep using this) in legends, Luke actually succeeded in founding a new academy and kept up his training in the light side and eventually pulling a sort of superman and became the most powerful force user in the known (once) canon. Now i don't know if would like him being that overpowered, but I don't see him becoming a pessimistic downer like they seem to be showing him here.

Also I interpret the red text as the Sith (or at least some sort of evil) coming back, as I heard it mentioned even after episode VII was released, that VIII was going to be the darker "Empire Strikes Back" type of movie compared to the lighter triumphant episode VII.

On another note, the new Battlefront trailer looks pretty good, I hope they show some actual battles in the Clone Wars era soon instead of just the snippets of heroes. They also finally have a campaign apparently, which gives me hope for a galactic conquest mode to give the game some actual playability once the servers go down or playercount goes super low (like the first game on PC). But I'm not getting my hopes up enough to pre-order it. Learned my lesson from last time, I played the BETA longer than the actual title once it released.

On a side note, the triangular corvette type ship the commandos were flying looks like an old-republic era sith corvette from EU content and some of the mods for strategy games I play. Was really surprised to see it in there.

MrPerson, the prophecy wasn't about destroying the Sith but bringing balance to the Force. The interpretation about the balance part is what this is all about. We don't know if, for the Jedi, balance was painting all white (quite balancing, from a certain PoV) or of the true dictionary meaning of the word balance (aka, white and black equally distributed). Is this explained somewhere in the ton of Legends-books? I've read maybe 1/4 of them and I don't remember it being explained.

That Luke walks like a living pessimistic hermit (supposedly) because he failed with Ben Solo is a little thin in my book...

Yeah, It really doesn't make sense that Luke would just give up after failing to properly instruct the first batch of Jedi students. I mean, this is the guy who thought up a plan for rescuing Leia in the first Death Star. The same Luke who blew up that station, killed Jabba the Hutt, and who converted Darth Vader to the light side of the force. These are no small feats by any means.

Okay great, so what could make Luke disappear? Well, if Luke had a love interest who ended up dying that might do it. If one of his students, say Mr Ben (AKA Kylo) killed the love interest (Mara Jade) then yeah, I'd see Luke feeling very bummed. So, what's happened in the 30 year gap that extends from VI to VII? What changed Leia into being such a passive character and not one of action (sending Han to bring Kylo home instead of going with Han like a proper wife/divorced wife).

I don't know, maybe everyone just got old and boring after being heroes of the New Republic for 30 some years. At least Han was doing what he loved up until his death.

#MakeEUCanonAgain

Legends has o couple decades advantage to publish that material ;)

Wait the same amount of years and then compare how much "canon" material we've got from the one or the other. Legends has very good works, but also meh and poor ones. I'm sure the new material will have about the same level of goodness, give or take :thumbup:

-------------

In other things... I've finally watched the final episodes of Rebels' S3, which I liked quite a bit. You still get inconsistencies now and then, but that's nothing new. The firing accuracy on all sides is getting annoying beyond any good measure. That and the tiny amount of fighters a Star Destroyer can launch for a space battle. I mean... they must not handcraft every ship. It's copy paste! The Maul/Kenobi Episode was ok. It lacked epicness in the end. They should've do less pointless desert roaming and more lightsaber combat. In the end that was the point of it, besides ending the Maul/Ezra story arc.

Online Now