Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: All things Star Wars.

Just_Ice_au wrote:Jedi Academy also deserves a mention. It was a worthy successor to JKII
Although I played the multiplayer for jedi academy for several years on both versions 1.00 and 1.01 (1.01 is kinda still alive but only the bad ja+ players for the most part) I prefer the campaign for JKII because I believe that the story is a lot more gripping and HARDER (And Kyle Katarn is just Awesome). Without your lightsaber you had to really know what you were doing to survive on higher difficulty. Desann was a much better villian then Ragnos and Tavion who had a pretty cheesy ending during the last fight on JKA. Rosh was about as worse as Jar Jar to me in JKA too.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy don't make the cut for me. Compared to the PC's DF2:JK, the levels in Outcast and Academy -- implemented for the Xbox's limited RAM -- felt simple and small, and just not as dizzying or inventive or interesting.

I wasn't the only one to feel this way. As Tom Chick put it:
[N]o other first person shooter has come close to Jedi Knight's dizzying sense of scale and its vast levels. Unlike dungeon-based engines like Quake and Unreal, Jedi Knight goes on and on in all different directions. Even better, there is a thrilling rush of vertigo when you look down the side of a building or into a chasm. Even though you can always reload if you fall, you'll feel a strangely tangible sense of dread when you're working your way across a precarious set of beams or a narrow ledge on a cliff. I think Jedi Knight put something in my drink, because I don't get this way playing other first person shooters.
Outcast and Academy weren't bad, exactly. I've replayed both. They just don't grab me like Jedi Knight did. I'd put Dark Forces in the Top Ten; as the first Star Wars FPS it was absolutely jaw-dropping at the time.
Last edited by Flatfingers on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flatfingers wrote:Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy don't make the cut for me. Compared to the PC's DF2:JK, the levels in Outcast and Academy -- implemented for the Xbox's limited RAM -- felt simple and small, and just not as dizzying or inventive or interesting.

I wasn't the only one to feel this way. As Tom Chick put it:
[N]o other first person shooter has come close to Jedi Knight's dizzying sense of scale and its vast levels. Unlike dungeon-based engines like Quake and Unreal, Jedi Knight goes on and on in all different directions. Even better, there is a thrilling rush of vertigo when you look down the side of a building or into a chasm. Even though you can always reload if you fall, you'll feel a strangely tangible sense of dread when you're working your way across a precarious set of beams or a narrow ledge on a cliff. I think Jedi Knight put something in my drink, because I don't get this way playing other first person shooters.
Outcast and Academy weren't bad, exactly. I've replayed both. They just don't grab me like Jedi Knight did. I'd put Dark Forces in the Top Ten; as the first Star Wars FPS it was absolutely jaw-dropping at the time.
Dooms and Quakes weren't my thing. They had no sense of purpose besides the killkillkill. DF and DF2 had a (immersive) story and that sense of wonder... JK2:O starts very very good, but with the multiplaying options and the modding options and such... I don't know, for me transmitted another sensations. Which is a shame, because the story was good.
Last edited by Lum on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

MrPerson wrote:I always meant to try Jedi knight/academy but I never did. I still have an original xbox, and obviously this PC. Which is it more suited for, controller or keyboard?
I never played them on the XBox, just the PC.

M+KB lightsaber duels were pretty entertaining, though. I'd recommend Keyboard.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Flatfingers wrote:My one disagreement is Star Wars: Rebellion. Oh, my. No, this one does not make it onto my "good" list. It's possible there was an enjoyable game somewhere in there, but Rebellion had one of the most frustratingly cumbersome user interfaces it has ever been my misfortune to encounter. Everything was harder than it needed to be. Playing this game was like clubbing yourself in the crotch with a cactus -- repeatedly -- in order to get an occasional cupcake. It's possible that mods might help it, but my experience was that the version most people saw was nigh-unplayable.
Yeah it is a very divisive game amongst Star Wars game fans, and you are right the whole GUI is one of the worst around (for a game). But overtime it just grew on me, and like i said if you want a proper strategic game set in the SW universe, Rebellion is still really the only best option, but you have to be able to get over the GUI issues first to appreciate what it does do well.

Neither Force Commander nor the Empire at War games got as 'deep' and grand-strategy as Rebellion, which is a shame cause i'd give my right hand to have a proper Star Wars grand strategy game (like a SW version of the Civ games) that used the characters and units well, and wasn't RTS twitch based gaming. But yeah i know putting that game on the list is contentious, for all the things it did badly. It is however a unique SW experience amidst all the action/fps games, and made my top ten list on that merit.

Absolutely fair enough, Zak.

If I hadn't seen that there was a good game underneath Rebellion's user interface, it wouldn't have been so frustrating. I quite liked the way that special units could be promoted, as when Luke goes off the board for a while then returns as a Jedi. I thought the promotion element was a clever RPG-like feature not often seen in strategy games, and appropriate for a Star Wars strategy game.

I wanted to like Rebellion... I just couldn't get to the good stuff without digging constantly through multiple inconsistent screens. Eventually it was too much for me.

I have zero complaints about anyone else enjoying it, though.

I think a proper decent SW strategy game is long overdue.

In other news i watched Return of the Jedi on TV the other night. It has been a long time since i last saw it, maybe 5 years or so, and i was loving it all (even the Ewoks, especially compared to the prequel 'cute' stuff), being constantly amazed at the level of acting on display and how strong a story and feeling of character immersion it could create, then right at the end i was hit right between the eyes.

It struck like a dagger to my heart. There was a glowing (young) Hayden Christensen sitting next to the glowing (old) Yoda and Ben Kenobi. They had replaced the guy that had played as Vader in the original versions. It was horrible. That is all. I am now broken once more due to the damn prequels :(

Zak Gordon wrote:I think a proper decent SW strategy game is long overdue.

In other news i watched Return of the Jedi on TV the other night. It has been a long time since i last saw it, maybe 5 years or so, and i was loving it all (even the Ewoks, especially compared to the prequel 'cute' stuff), being constantly amazed at the level of acting on display and how strong a story and feeling of character immersion it could create, then right at the end i was hit right between the eyes.

It struck like a dagger to my heart. There was a glowing (young) Hayden Christensen sitting next to the glowing (old) Yoda and Ben Kenobi. They had replaced the guy that had played as Vader in the original versions. It was horrible. That is all. I am now broken once more due to the damn prequels :(
if you have not played it yet, check out star wars empire at war. My favorite strategy game for a long time

as for the prequels, changing the actors makes sense to me. If you made prequels to ANY series and had to use a different actor as a younger version of a character, would it not make sense to edit the later ones to match it? that way at the end you wouldn't have people going "who is that guy?" when Anikin walks up in ghost form at the end.

Lum wrote:It doesn't make any sense, since Anakin Skywalker died being Darth Vader when the man under the mask was a... what 50+ years old man, not a youngster with long hair :eh:
Yea that makes sense. Maybe they were playing the angle that they were trying to show him as he looked when he was a jedi

MrPerson wrote:
Lum wrote:It doesn't make any sense, since Anakin Skywalker died being Darth Vader when the man under the mask was a... what 50+ years old man, not a youngster with long hair :eh:
Yea that makes sense. Maybe they were playing the angle that they were trying to show him as he looked when he was a jedi
Sadly it really was 'just another' example of how badly thought out and executed the prequels really were, more of this:

And less coming from a place that truly connected with the past Star Wars works (episodes 4-6) and understood how to match them as works of art (and not cynical cash grabs with fake nods to the 'fans').

I did mention Empires at War, but even heavily modded it never was as deep as Rebellion, so didn't beat that in my top ten SW games list.

Online Now