Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: If you know how to draw, tell me where to start...

Cornflakes_91 wrote:The sandworm looks a bit "unfinished" to me.
Like its a sketch to be finalised later... :think:
The sandworm needs to look more ferocious and menacing than it does. They are supposed to instill terror in nearly everyone bar the Freman worm riders. And a few of them have been known to wet themselves at the moment before they climb aboard.

There are plenty of images on the internet to inspire you, Dinosawer. ;) :)

Dinosawer wrote:Yeah, that sandworm didn't come out looking as I wanted it too. I'm still learning ;)
Perhaps in a couple of years I'll look back at this picture and say "Man I was bad back then" :mrgreen:
You're not bad at it, Dinosawer, you just need more practice. And I am aware that you are still learning. I think this is the perfect thread to provide you with useful tips. Shuul would probably recommend you to do some sketch work every day. That old adage of practice makes perfect certainly applies when drawing. I'm sure he and others can help you master the techniques. :thumbup: :angel:

Yeah, Dinosawer, you have a good start id say, it is no different from how i started. Practice more and you'll get better pretty fast (don't hold yourself, you don't need years for that).
Pity, I cant suggest something more, as I'm not a digital guy (not sure I can use word "artist", not yet). But I want to delve deep into CG, it'll be fun to learn with someone else :)
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

I would indeed do better to sketch a bit every day. Problem is, I'm not very good at getting my lines right so my sketching on actual paper involves getting the whole sheet filled with pencil lines. :lol:
Digital is fun, more artistic freedom (and infinite do-overs ;) )

While I'm busy finishing stuff, a bit of character art I was working at :)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:I would indeed do better to sketch a bit every day. Problem is, I'm not very good at getting my lines right so my sketching on actual paper involves getting the whole sheet filled with pencil lines. :lol:
Digital is fun, more artistic freedom (and infinite do-overs ;) )

While I'm busy finishing stuff, a bit of character art I was working at :)
That is good.

Like, really good.

'Way the hell out of my scope' good.

:thumbup:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Ok, with creation of "LT forum ART and Hobby Center" please post all your drawings etc there. Thanks!
This thread will remain in my heart as a place where all you guys helped me to progress as an artist, it really means a lot and I'm very thankful for that :)
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

it's like music or language, people who start early and practice much, become highly proficient. there are also freakazoids who are just naturally adept at it. it's been theorized as due to specialized intelligence, ie spatial/audio/tactile/etc. and then when you combine the savant with lots of practice from an early age, you get someone like mozart or michaelangelo

if you're older now and just starting, be prepared to do a lot of practice to acclimate yourself to the technique and mental processes involved in doing art beyond a kindergarten level.

i see people who buy the supplies and canvas and just do one piece every week or so. no, you have to do it every day, just like a novice piano player, if you want to improve. it's about rewiring your brain. the more contact you have with something, the more your brain focuses on that area to improve.

Online Now