Return to “Everything & Anything”

If you know how to draw, tell me where to start...

Hey guys..

Im in a bit of creative search in current life period and im willing to start drawing, i know it will take a lot of time and effort, anyway im not going to become a professional drawer and earn money from that.
So, im asking if we have talanted people here what suggestion they can give to the one who wants to start from the very beginning. Im a bit interested in anime/manga style, maybe someone have links to good information source on that topic.
Also, share your works here, ill start : my first attempt
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.
Re: If you know how to draw, tell me where to start...

I like your first attempt. It has proportion, and is quite sleek. If you want to learn drawing, as far as I am concerned, the best place to start is observational. Grab some items for still life and draw them, or draw your hand or feet. Practice 'drawing what you see' this is a good place to start. There are a few books I can recommend as well, quite cheap on Amazon. If you don't want to spend money though, just Google 'how to draw [such and such]' and away you go. All the information is readily availablefor free online, with lots of people willing to help. Good luck in your journey, iI hope that you feel as rewarded drawing as I do. :mrgreen:

Hi there.

I've been doing something similar, trying to learn to draw in my spare time.

I'd always thought of drawing as something some people could just pick up a pencil and do, out of natural talent or ability. But, like so many other things, when you break it down it's all about skills that can be learned. Certainly there can be a lot more structure to drawing than I expected, especially with things like figure drawing, which is what I've been focused on recently.

Anyway, my skills are still very much a work in progress, but I found a good site with some comprehensive tutorials that you might be interested in: http://ctrlpaint.com/library/

I'd say, the best thing you can do is practice. Draw, draw, draw. That's the only way you get better.

Other than that, just keep adding new techniques to your repertoire, and don't be afraid to draw from reference or copy someone's particular style as a practice exercise. That can be great learning experience too.

Good luck :thumbup: :wave: And keep us updated. I want to know how you go!
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Thanks guys, its realy helpful to have someone cheer you up while you move forward in something :D
Katorone wrote:is that your hand? Well done!
Keep an eye on your health though, your lines predict some health issues at an older age.
Yes, thats my hand, thanks, ill keep an eye on my health ;)

Todays occasinal drawing during lunch in the office:
Bob
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

Online Now