Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: LT update anticipation. Also: trains.

I think this can adequately go here too:
There’s a story out there about how one time Albert Einstein, the well known Physicist, when he got onto a train going from Princeton, NJ to Boston.
Soon after he got on the train, he began searching for his ticket.
When the conductor arrived at Einstein’s seat the conductor said, “Mr. Einstein, I, and everyone else on this train know who you are and I am sure you have a ticket, rest assured that you have a seat on this train”.
Einstein was relieved momentarily but then continued to frantically look for his ticket.
When the conductor had finished checking everyone’s ticket, he noticed Einstein still trying to find the lost ticket.
The conductor walked down the aisle and tapped Einstein on the shoulder and said, “Dear sir, I have total faith and confidence that you have a ticket.
Please take your seat and be sure you can ride this train”. To which Einstein replied, “Thank you again, kind sir, but I need to locate that train ticket to find out where I am going!”
the left side of the equation with the big R’s represents the curvature and shape of spacetime and hence the path that an object will follow. The right side of the equation with the big T represents the mass and energy density of a star or planet. Putting the two sides of the equation together says that a massive object like a star or planet will curve the surrounding spacetime. As a result this also curves the path of other objects moving past such as comets or satellites. Unfortunately the mathematics involved in this equation is quite advanced. In fact it was said that only a handful of people in the world understood it when Einstein proposed his theory of relativity. This kind of mathematics is called tensor calculus which is like regular calculus but in multiple dimensions. With such an intimidating mathematical equation staring at you from a train, one can take comfort in recognizing some of the symbols such as 8 and pi. pi is a familiar term from geometry and interestingly enough that fraction helps to convert the mass energy density into the geometry of space and time.

Coincidentally, Einstein often used the example of observers traveling on a train to describe his theory of relativity. The observer on this particular day was Monica Witt, a physics teacher at Friends Seminary in New York City, who discovered this fascinating artifact while hiking through the Bolivian desert.

References:
http://roesgarden.com/2006/09/blog/spir ... the-train/
http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/p ... -train.cfm

P.S. I would love to get Josh's inpput into the equation on this rusty train in the Bolivia desert.
:wave:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Scytale wrote:That looks like it's a train designed specifically for juicing unnaturally sized oranges
haha hilarious Scytale!

Someone needs to expalin the bug to me. It's a great bug, I'm just sayin'.

And the window? Is it look out the window and get a grip and see reality or something?

Nobody could ever accuse ME of riding the hype train! NEVER! Ok well maybe sometimes. I can stop any time, I just don't want to.

[redacted remaining -- there was a rule I didn't know about.]
Sorry
Mike
Last edited by coder1000 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

coder1000 wrote: What do you think the actual dates for LT will be?
WHAT ARE YOUR GUESSES, PEOPLE?
Here is my guess:
Redacted

Edit: Had to remove coder1000 quote and my own due to forum policy. Sorry about that Mods.
Last edited by BFett on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

BFett wrote:I'm really looking forward to seeing Limit Theory feature complete. An economy ran by executive NPCs which hire worker NPCs as they need them. A universe of infinite possibility where there are multiple ways to get ahead of competitors. With research, market manipulation, corporate espionage, and of course bruit military force; the options available to the player are indeed numerous. Every faction, every system, every new universe, unique and infinite. These are the reasons why I anticipate Limit Theory, these are the reasons why I defend what Josh has done and is doing.

Limit Theory, not just a universe, but freedom in it's truest form.
Let's hear about what you anticipate from Limit Theory. What will you do, what will you become, and what goals will you set for yourselves?

Online Now