Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: LT update anticipation thread

Don't see it as adding to the stress as much as taking it away. You take away the need for a polished jewel, you can relax and show us what you got, because no matter what it is, you can be confident that we'll enjoy the update. Besides, I have been following the daily devlogs for this past two months, and there is plenty to show off already, nothing to worry about.

It's all just part of the anticipation build up... only this time there has been an entire month of anticipation :) hehe.. and everyone's nerves are a bit frayed.

With the previous update, forum regulars would have been aware of the 2 week holiday Josh took, so there was an expectation that the update might get missed and we'd get a 2 month update.. :)

Anticipation is good :)

Yes indeed, I know I'm really the worst. The absolute worst :shock: And it gets worse every month!

In today's devlog though, I tried to shed a little light on why this pattern is developing. Back in the day, I had very little trouble getting an update video out on time. Why so much trouble these days? Am I become more of a perfectionist? Am I becoming more aware of the pressure to fulfill? Or...?

I think, above all else, it's what I mentioned in the log: days are becoming more and more fruitful in their feature yield. Back in the day, I would have simply said "sure, I could do XYZ, but that'd take another week, so no...let's just record now." These days, I think "well, I could do XYZ, and it'd take an hour...let's just do that quickly then record!" The problem, of course, lies in the fact that there are so damn many XYZs out there :lol: :ghost: I'm like a kid in the LTSL candy shop these days :?

It's a problem that I haven't really faced before, and one that I am going to need to learn to handle more effectively as we move toward release. But, as I said in the devlog, hopefully you all can appreciate that this is a much better problem to have than some others :)

And, FWIW, I love you all and appreciate your patience :angel:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Yes indeed, I know I'm really the worst. The absolute worst :shock: And it gets worse every month!

In today's devlog though, I tried to shed a little light on why this pattern is developing. Back in the day, I had very little trouble getting an update video out on time. Why so much trouble these days? Am I become more of a perfectionist? Am I becoming more aware of the pressure to fulfill? Or...?

Just call it what it is Josh. Feature Creep.

AbhChallenger wrote:Just call it what it is Josh. Feature Creep.
If you mean with respect to the game -- come now, go back and read the KS. It was a huge vision with many features. Building a solid trade UI is hardly beyond the original scope. :eh:

If you mean with respect to the features in this video -- sure, that's fair ;)

Yes, The video Josh. Seriously take a look at your community. Do you honestly think these drooling fans are going to say "Pfft not enough Trade UI. SUCKKORZZZ!!!11" No they are going to droll over the Rails until the forum erupts into LT Rail Balance war 2.

Is it the public you are worried about? No offense but RPS articles don't sell copies. Streamers and Youtubers do. The BETA of LT is the most important part about building the future market for the game. So why the stress over videos? Why the delay of your own off day where it does not even matter?

JoshParnell wrote:I think, above all else, it's what I mentioned in the log: days are becoming more and more fruitful in their feature yield. Back in the day, I would have simply said "sure, I could do XYZ, but that'd take another week, so no...let's just record now." These days, I think "well, I could do XYZ, and it'd take an hour...let's just do that quickly then record!" The problem, of course, lies in the fact that there are so damn many XYZs out there :lol: :ghost: I'm like a kid in the LTSL candy shop these days :?

It's a problem that I haven't really faced before, and one that I am going to need to learn to handle more effectively as we move toward release. But, as I said in the devlog, hopefully you all can appreciate that this is a much better problem to have than some others :)
:clap: Hey, you're a one man team doing amazing things! And the way you've handled yourself to date is phenomenal. As for the XYZ thing? Fantastic. I actually am glad this is a problem; just means that development is accelerating and you still have that easy-to-get, easy-to-lose project passion. Be a kid in the Candy Shop, because that's where dreams come true. :D

Mmm... Pound-a-candy for a fiver... Bad stomach, down.

We'll enjoy whatever you bring us, whenever we get it. (Just don't forget about us, kay? ;) )

AbhChallenger wrote:Yes, The video Josh. Seriously take a look at your community. Do you honestly think these drooling fans are going to say "Pfft not enough Trade UI. SUCKKORZZZ!!!11" No they are going to droll over the Rails until the forum erupts into LT Rail Balance war 2.

Is it the public you are worried about? No offense but RPS articles don't sell copies. Streamers and Youtubers do. The BETA of LT is the most important part about building the future market for the game. So why the stress over videos? Why the delay of your own off day where it does not even matter?
Very true, but again, this is not what I worry about. As I've said before, I'm my own worst critic. Gamer Josh expects a lot ;)

And I am in full agreement about the beta. I will just say that change is in the air with respect to the dev process, and more will be revealed after 21 drops :)

Online Now