Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: The September 2014 Devlog Discussion

Kvallning wrote:So it's nearly midnight PST.
And it is not done. Considering Josh posted that he is still coding earlier and dev blogged that he was going to get sleep after remaining up with the aid of Red Bull. I think he will likely update the forum when he is working on the video.

And folks. In my opinion you should not hype yourself up for a video for the 4th. It sounds like he has a very large update to record, narrate and render. At any stage something can go wrong forcing him back into the code or to the nearest computer shop for RAM if the other stick decides to fail from the soda incident.

AbhChallenger wrote:
And it is not done. Considering Josh posted that he is still coding earlier and dev blogged that he was going to get sleep after remaining up with the aid of Red Bull. I think he will likely update the forum when he is working on the video.

And folks. In my opinion you should not hype yourself up for a video for the 4th. It sounds like he has a very large update to record, narrate and render. At any stage something can go wrong forcing him back into the code or to the nearest computer shop for RAM if the other stick decides to fail from the soda incident.
Two months with no updates. He says Oct. 3rd. You can't tell me not to GET HYPE. You're not my mother! :monkey:

Andarra wrote:Welp, it's 1:30am here, which means it's about 11:30pm where he is. Another lost update it seems. :(
Josh will post again once he's bagged recording (after his long postponed sleep; apparently our hopes for another zombie-Josh Update are dashed :lol:), as per his established Update day routine.

P.S. Sweet dreams, Mr. Parnell. :angel:
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Andarra wrote:
AbhChallenger wrote:

Two months with no updates. He says Oct. 3rd. You can't tell me not to GET HYPE. You're not my mother! :monkey:
I am pretty sure you are going to get your video at this point. Despite any opinions I have.

What I am suggesting here is not to get to excited about the possibility of it happening on Oct 4. A lot of stuff still has to go right here.

Yes. And?

At this rate I would not blame Josh for never publicly commenting again on any upcoming release of anything. For that matter, I might rethink doing a devlog; it just seems to make some people believe he works for them personally and it's somehow their business to manage his "commitments."

On the other hand, the majority of folks tracking LT seem to understand that Josh is making his game on his timetable, and to appreciate that he frequently shows us visual progress on LT's development and even tells us every day about some enjoyable aspect of creating it. How many other developers, independent or big-publisher-funded, ever come even marginally close to this level of engagement with the community?

And despite that, we're going to ding him for anything he says about the future that doesn't somehow miraculously come true? He's a very good programmer. He's not the flippin' Kwisatz Haderach.

This is not some mindless emo defense of even the mildest criticism of a favored developer. I know what that looks like; I don't like it; and I don't do it. I've disagreed with Josh about multiple things; he knows it, and anyone who's read my comments here knows it. What this is is me suggesting (because that's all I can do as just another forum member) that having some perspective on and appreciation for the remarkable amount of openness that Josh has shown us in his completely optional monthly video updates and daily devlogs would be a Good Thing. Better, certainly, than tapping our watches and frowning as though he owes us anything beyond what's in the Kickstarter pledge tiers.

If we get a video AT ALL, hooray! Win! Thank you, Josh.

AbhChallenger wrote:I am pretty sure you are going to get your video at this point. Despite any opinions I have.
:lol: I'm sure Josh won't disappoint, AbhChallenger. It's rare to get a promise from Mr Parnell and fortunately he has given that promise. If he delivers the update he's been outlining in his posts it will be worth the wait. :thumbup:

I refuse to get into the "hype-cycle" this month but I can well understand why others are finding the wait difficult. :angel:
Waited all day... =(

OMG, timekeeper Josh where have thee gone!

Now that it is officially tomorrow (EST) I'm definitely thinking Josh didn't make it today and I must finally go to bed. The only other thing I'm desperately waiting for now is the new X-Men : Future Past DVD.

Why couldn't you just make a mediocre type game instead of an epic game that makes me so crazy for each video or blog?

I truly hope this video is at least an hour long because it seems like FOREVER since I've had a fix of JLTD and am having SERIOUS withdrawal!

[[[ DISCLAIMER ]]]

This is not a troll.
This was written in good humor, or even no humor <shrug>
It was therapeutic for me at least, having typed it all out I feel <a little> better.
It was not meant to harm any of the Joshes in any way.
It is meant as a compliment to Josh's in that only they could make me this crazy for something because he is just that awesome.

Just remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGnH6JPsv7E :wave:

Flatfingers wrote:Better, certainly, than tapping our watches and frowning as though he owes us anything beyond what's in the Kickstarter pledge tiers.

Well said.

Some of the people on this forum need to have some respect. This is as bad as people demanding updates and releases from mod developers. Just like a mod, Josh's video updates are essentially a gift. No one has any right to demand a gift from anyone.
“Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal”

Less demanding, I feel, than simply checking on what he's estimated. I think it doesn't help that some of us (myself included at times) are a little restless after two months without an update. It shakes the foundation a little, if you will. I don't mind too much, really. I was just hopeful, and a little disappointed. In no way would I call myself entitled to anything, or concerned with knowing how better to run things than Josh. So no worries from me, only minor, momentary frowns.
Grumblesaur wrote:we're going to need
Kvallning wrote:to get beyond Thunderdome
The Four Word Story Thread|IRC Needs You!|Game FAQ
There is NO PREORDER OR DONATION POSSIBILITY
In Josh we trust.

Flatfingers wrote:
Yes. And?

At this rate I would not blame Josh for never publicly commenting again on any upcoming release of anything. For that matter, I might rethink doing a devlog; it just seems to make some people believe he works for them personally and it's somehow their business to manage his "commitments."

On the other hand, the majority of folks tracking LT seem to understand that Josh is making his game on his timetable, and to appreciate that he frequently shows us visual progress on LT's development and even tells us every day about some enjoyable aspect of creating it. How many other developers, independent or big-publisher-funded, ever come even marginally close to this level of engagement with the community?

And despite that, we're going to ding him for anything he says about the future that doesn't somehow miraculously come true? He's a very good programmer. He's not the flippin' Kwisatz Haderach.

This is not some mindless emo defense of even the mildest criticism of a favored developer. I know what that looks like; I don't like it; and I don't do it. I've disagreed with Josh about multiple things; he knows it, and anyone who's read my comments here knows it. What this is is me suggesting (because that's all I can do as just another forum member) that having some perspective on and appreciation for the remarkable amount of openness that Josh has shown us in his completely optional monthly video updates and daily devlogs would be a Good Thing. Better, certainly, than tapping our watches and frowning as though he owes us anything beyond what's in the Kickstarter pledge tiers.

I think you're misunderstanding something here. Nobody is angry with Josh for missing the monthly youtube update. That being said, this is the whoopee cushion effect. It was inevitable.

Online Now