Return to “Everything & Anything”

Emma Barrett

Emma Barrett is an Australian born actress currently living in Los Angeles. I've been following her on FaceBook for about 9 months now. She's going to make a short film about a significant event in her life and she's using Kickstarter to fund the project. She only needs $30K to fund the project. I'm going to kick in a few bucks myself. If any of you are interested, send her a little love. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/207 ... short-film Here's a link to her web page: http://emmabarrett.com/
Last edited by Gunther Haldan on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.
Re: Emma Barrett

Thanks Victor, you should have seen the pictures she posted during her trip to India and a few other places in the far east about six months ago.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Gunther Haldan wrote:Thanks Victor, you should have seen the pictures she posted during her trip to India and a few other places in the far east about six months ago.
I was impressed by her short film Gunther. I do hope she gets her chance to make that film. I'm a sucker for a pretty woman especially one with a dream and talent. ;) :)

I'm a sucker for a pretty face as well... But opening my wallet just for that would be a bit sexist of me, no? :D

Honestly, I don't know what to think about this project. I'm getting mixed impressions from her video's.
In the first video she writes a bit about what she wants to do. She wants to make her own movies, and tell her story about a stranger's advice that changed her life. Well, I get that kind of requests every day on the internet, and usually is about better sex or losing weight.
The second video, she talks, but still talks about herself. She's right about one thing though, taking the reigns is about defining success for yourself, and not relying on others to make your definitions.

Then there's the bit about her immigration status and not being able to find work. I really know to little about what might be going on, but this sounds very sketchy to me. Can't she get a temporary job somewhere, get her papers in order and start applying for acting work? If she can't work in the US, can she make a film while she is in the US? Can she employ others? And what about http://vimeo.com/78051751 ?

I might be interested in sponsoring her movie, if I knew a bit more about it. Perhaps she also needs to posts some clips of her acting, or at least a list of things she's worked on. She did say she's an experienced actress after all. The way she keeps repeating "take the reigns" sounds a lot like branding to me, and isn't saying anything specific about her project.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:I'm a sucker for a pretty face as well... But opening my wallet just for that would be a bit sexist of me, no? :D
NO, surely not.......well maybe.........perhaps........just a little. :lol:

:think: Your post and the issues you raise would be foremost in my mind Katorone if I intended backing the project with serious money.

I just want something a bit different to back. I've had my fill of games KS's for the moment. I did back Jeremy Soule's project in the hope that I would receive regular updates on the making of his symphony but the project is as quiet as the grave and looks likely to remain that way until after the holiday period.

If Emma provides fairly regular updates of her plans it will be worth the small backer's fee for me. Heck, I've spent a lot more than that on a trip to the cinema to watch a poor film and indulge in dubious refreshments. I'm not really concerned how good or bad the acting is. The film may or may not be a masterpiece. It will be exciting to see the end result assuming she gets enough backers.

I just like to encourage dreams from time to time. ;) :)

Yeah, I understand and respect that.
I'm coming from a different perspective. At the moment every euro I spend is one out of my mouth. This makes me a bit more critical about which projects to back.
I'm interested in seeing more updates, perhaps she will give more details later. I can always back then. I just need a bit more convincing that she's making the movie for reasons I can agree with. At the moment I'm not pro, but not con either. Just sceptical, I guess.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Her pitch video did not interest me, and therefore I am skeptical about her ability to make the other film she is proposing interesting.

Perhaps a little harsh, but she pretty much had the one chance to convince me to back her, and failed. :|

Pass.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

TAKE THE REINS [a short film project by Emma Barrett]

My film is a “Pick-a-Path book” adventure, that opens up our minds to just how infinite the possibilities are that lay before us. And how, in every moment of every day, we have a choice — to sit down and drink the coffee, or turn and walk back to the car. Often the most visceral gut instincts are the ones that make the least sense. And the more we try to “control” everything, the harder it is to hear the soft whispers that are the truest instincts we will ever know. Take the Reins also addresses the desolate human disconnection that we self-generate with the fear of not being “perfect” or “normal” in society. When it’s actually the imperfections that make us human… and vulnerable… and beautiful.

“To be nobody but yourself
in a world which is doing its best
day and night
to make you like everybody else
means to fight the hardest battle
which any human being can fight
and never stop fighting.”

— e. e. cummings

As for the acting. Here’s a link to an audition I put on tape a couple of months ago, for a feature film I have now been cast in, and will be shooting later next year in the U.K. http://www.vimeo.com/71562100

I really appreciate your support. And I hope you enjoy the film once it’s made.

Emma :wave:
Last edited by emmabarrett on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for posting.

That was as comprehensive a reply as anyone could give to those who are skeptical about your commitment to your project and your ability to fulfill your promise of delivering a well crafted short film. I will be following your progress and wish you great success in your venture. :thumbup: :D

Victor Tombs wrote: That was as comprehensive a reply as anyone could give to those who are skeptical about your commitment to your project and your ability to fulfill your promise of delivering a well crafted short film. I will be following your progress and wish you great success in your venture. :thumbup: :D
To be clear, I wasn't sceptical about Emma's commitment or her promise to deliver a film she's happy with. The following expression might sound weird, but hear me out... I guess what I was missing from the pitch video was a personality that spoke to me. Now I'm not saying it didn't have personality, just that it didn't have the kind I pick up on.
I want to see people being filled with joy when talking about their dreams. I want to see them with tears in their eyes when talking about their passion.
I just didn't get that kind of touch. I didn't feel connected.

Yesterday, I watched Ted video's all day long. Some of them didn't interest me one bit, but the love these people have for the subject they talk about... The passion and the emotions, I'd throw money at them just to hear them talk some more. To share some of their insights or wisdom, skill or even nonsense. There were talks by extroverts and introverts, people with crippling panic attacks and even one born without limbs. At the end of the day I felt really really good, even if it was a very emotional day.

Katorone wrote:To be clear, I wasn't sceptical about Emma's commitment or her promise to deliver a film she's happy with. The following expression might sound weird, but hear me out... I guess what I was missing from the pitch video was a personality that spoke to me. Now I'm not saying it didn't have personality, just that it didn't have the kind I pick up on.
I want to see people being filled with joy when talking about their dreams. I want to see them with tears in their eyes when talking about their passion.
I understand your feelings Katorone and I can assure you my comment was not targeted at anyone who actually posted. ( :shifty: Well maybe Just_Ice came to mind for an instant. :P )

I am not saying that I don't have similar thoughts to you but I do know that sometimes the people who gush with enthusiasm and joy are not always what they seem to be. Some con men/women have it down to a fine art. Considering the fact that Emma is an actress I would think it would be fairly easy for her to resort to acting techniques to convince you of what you feel she is lacking. She didn't. :)

If nothing else it required a certain amount of courage to sign up here and give a very open explanation of what you are all about. After all, from the outside we look like a male dominated refuge for geeks and nerds who are obsessed with games, gadgets, science fiction and heavy metal music. Frankly, if I were Emma, I would have backed away quietly and forgotten the whole idea. :lol:

Maybe Emma genuinely lacks a sparkling personality (let us know Emma ;) ). I hear it is common in acting circles. However, that doesn't mean the film will be missing those qualities. :)

emmabarrett wrote:Here it is.

<snip>

Emma :wave:
Well, okay, apparently she had more than one opportunity to convince me. :shock: :shifty:

Coming by to address potential backer concerns was a solid move, probably worth some support just on its own merits. :thumbup:
Victor Tombs wrote:
Katorone wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:Thanks for posting.

That was as comprehensive a reply as anyone could give to those who are skeptical about your commitment to your project and your ability to fulfill your promise of delivering a well crafted short film. I will be following your progress and wish you great success in your venture. :thumbup: :D
To be clear, I wasn't sceptical about Emma's commitment or her promise to deliver a film she's happy with. The following expression might sound weird, but hear me out... I guess what I was missing from the pitch video was a personality that spoke to me. Now I'm not saying it didn't have personality, just that it didn't have the kind I pick up on.
I understand your feelings Katorone and I can assure you my comment was not targeted at anyone who actually posted. ( :shifty: Well maybe Just_Ice came to mind for an instant. :P )

I am not saying that I don't have similar thoughts to you but I do know that sometimes the people who gush with enthusiasm and joy are not always what they seem to be. Some con men/women have it down to a fine art. Considering the fact that Emma is an actress I would think it would be fairly easy for her to resort to acting techniques to convince you of what you feel she is lacking. She didn't. :)

If nothing else it required a certain amount of courage to sign up here and give a very open explanation of what you are all about. After all, from the outside we look like a male dominated refuge for geeks and nerds who are obsessed with games, gadgets, science fiction and heavy metal music. Frankly, if I were Emma, I would have backed away quietly and forgotten the whole idea. :lol:

Maybe Emma genuinely lacks a sparkling personality (let us know Emma ;) ). I hear it is common in acting circles. However, that doesn't mean the film will be missing those qualities. :)
Okay, perhaps the direct correlation I was drawing between the quality of her kickstarter pitch video and the potential quality of the proposed short film was unfair. To be honest, the problems I had with the kickstarter video were more about the stylistic choices than the actual content.

Personally, I find it annoying when videos contain so much text; it always makes me feel like the maker of the video is trying to set my reading speed for me, whereas what ends up happening is; I read the text as soon as it appears, and spend the time until the next line of text appears twiddling my thumbs impatiently. Repeat until video is finished. Video is an excellent visual and auditory medium, but in my opinion it really isn't the place for text unsupported by any voice-over or actor onscreen. Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but it's how I felt in reaction to her original pitch video. :|

Actually, I found her first update video to be much more convincing, but the reason I found it is because I read Emma's post here, and then took a second look at the project, not because of her kickstarter pitch video.

Anyhow, Emma, I really do appreciate you coming by, and you seem really passionate about the project. You've actually got me curious to see what you can do. Add to that the fact you're an Aussie and a night-owl, and the least I can do is send a little support your way. :thumbup: :wave:
Spoiler:      SHOW
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Online Now