Return to “Everything & Anything”

Set Chopin Free & Jeremy Soule's The Northerner

Hey! Since the "Games" subforum is mostly flooded with Games Kickstarter and not other types of Kickstarter, I figured I'll put this project here. :lol:
I'm not sure how many of you are a fan of classical music or more specifically Chopin but this is a project aiming to put all of his music into public domain and easily accessible on one site (will require registration for free sheet music and downloadable music): Musopen

:arrow: Kickstarter project here!

Can anyone comment on Grado SR60i headphones? Thinking of upping my pledge to get those as well.
Last edited by TanC on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
In Josh we trust.
Re: Set Chopin Free!

TanC wrote:Hey! Since the "Games" subforum is mostly flooded with Games Kickstarter and not other types of Kickstarter, I figured I'll put this project here. :lol:
I'm not sure how many of you are a fan of classical music or more specifically Chopin but this is a project aiming to put all of his music into public domain and easily accessible on one site (will require registration for free sheet music and downloadable music): Musopen

:arrow: Kickstarter project here!

Can anyone comment on Grado SR60i headphones? Thinking of upping my pledge to get those as well.
seems cool! :D

~Sly
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

TanC wrote:I'm not sure how many of you are a fan of classical music or more specifically Chopin but this is a project aiming to put all of his music into public domain and easily accessible on one site (will require registration for free sheet music and downloadable music):
A very good idea for a KS. There are probably quite a few fans of classical music here TanC.

I was remiss in not adding Jeremy Soule's KS project here during its funding. He was raising funds so that he could create his first symphony. Being a huge fan of Mr Soule's music I heavily backed it. It didn't have any problems getting funded but like many KS projects post funding the updates are rather scarce.

Victor Tombs wrote:I was remiss in not adding Jeremy Soule's KS project here during its funding. He was raising funds so that he could create his first symphony. Being a huge fan of Mr Soule's music I heavily backed it. It didn't have any problems getting funded but like many KS projects post funding the updates are rather scarce.
I was kicking myself over and over when I saw that it had ended! :( It was an "instant-back" for me. I'm a huge fan of Jeremy Soule's music, I even have the Skyrim album he put out a while back. I hope he does another one though. That time, make sure you let everyone here know about it as well. :lol:
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:I was kicking myself over and over when I saw that it had ended! :( It was an "instant-back" for me. I'm a huge fan of Jeremy Soule's music, I even have the Skyrim album he put out a while back. I hope he does another one though. That time, make sure you let everyone here know about it as well. :lol:
I did mention it to Josh at the time but he was pretty busy doing things to the vitals of LT. So I should have posted on the forums. I am guilty as charged TanC. :( As it happens I was lucky enough to get the four CD Skyrim package signed by Jeremy himself, a real treasure in my collection. :) I considered my support of his KS as a repayment for all those glorious moments his music had given me whilst playing the Elder Scroll games. (I had similar feelings with the Baldur's Gate games which featured the music of Michael Hoenig, ex Tangerine Dream).

"The Northerner" will be something special as a musical experience and although I have only heard the snippet featured in the KS video I am aware that it is a very personal project for Mr Soule. it should be pure magic. :D

Victor Tombs wrote:As it happens I was lucky enough to get the four CD Skyrim package signed by Jeremy himself, a real treasure in my collection. :)
HowSerendipitous wrote:Yup, I backed The Northerner! And I paid a fair bit o' money for a signed copy of the Skyrim Soundtrack.
Oh I definitely got the 4 disc Skyrim soundtrack. :D

I've googled a bit on The Northerner but it does not tell me where I could get a copy of it post-Kickstarter. Do you guys know if it will be made available outside of Kickstarter?
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:I've googled a bit on The Northerner but it does not tell me where I could get a copy of it post-Kickstarter. Do you guys know if it will be made available outside of Kickstarter?
The signed copies will be unavailable to purchase unless you backed the project (except on Ebay and the like) but the symphony will be available as a retail release. We were expecting delivery of the signed copies this month but I think that would be more than optimistic now. So no announcement has been made about the retail release yet.

Direct Song were very efficient at getting my Skyrim CD's to me but it turned into a horror story when I treated myself to the Guild Wars 2 CD package. Not sure if they've got their act together again yet.

Retail release sounds good to me! :thumbup:

I've only dealt with DirectSong once for the Skyrim CDs but I have not returned since. Maybe with future Jeremy Soule releases I might. Too bad that you had bad experiences with them though...
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:Retail release sounds good to me! :thumbup:
TanC, this is the latest news on "The Northerner" from MSA indirectly through a backer:

"Jeremy is still in the planning stages. I know that you expect more from him but he's a perfectionist with what he does. Because of that giving you a delivery estimate is not possible at this time. This is a big deal to Jeremy. It'll be his 1st symphony and he wants to do it right."

Could be a long wait. :(

'Setting Chopin Free' seems to have become a secondary issue in this thread but at least it's still about a composer and not Monty Python. :lol:

Commander McLane wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:'Setting Chopin Free' seems to have become a secondary issue in this thread but at least it's still about a composer and not Monty Python. :lol:
It can be both. ;)
:lol: No, I shouldn't be laughing. I know this piece well as I grew up with Monty Python but what I was trying to say is once a thread starts down the Monty Python track there is little hope for its recovery. I do have a tendency to cause such derailments as I have here with Mr Soule's new work.

However, I am not as guilty as a certain green jacket who has 'deliberately' introduced the Monty Python thread derailer in another current thread. No names mentioned. :P

Great news MALUKAH joins the talented line up on 'The Northerner'. :clap:

The latest news from Jeremy:

"Greetings Northerners - the latest is that I am pleased with quality of my progress on Symphony 1, but I have had to carefully weigh a decision for the last several weeks as to whether or not the work needed a few more months of TLC. I have decided to delay the recording sessions in the hope of ensuring the finest work possible.

Also factoring in my decision was to bring in two very talented singers for the performance, namely Malukah de los Santos and Peter Hollens. Both singers have confirmed their availability in the coming New Year.

I thank you again for your support. I am with you always in music."

This has really made my day. :D

My apologies to Chopin again.

Online Now