Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Set Chopin Free!

:lol: Understood. Then I'll change it. :D

EDIT: Looks like I do not have the ability to change the title of this thread? Could the kind mods please change the title of this thread to "Set Chopin Free & Jeremy Soule's The Northerner"

Thank you! :wave:
In Josh we trust.
Re: Set Chopin Free!

TanC wrote:EDIT: Looks like I do not have the ability to change the title of this thread?
You have, by editing (the subject of) its first post. :)

At least that's how it works on the other phpBB-driven boards I'm regularly frequenting.

Oh, and Victor: no unexpected shouting, please. I was having a long night. 8-) ;)
Re: Set Chopin Free & Jeremy Soule's The Northerner

TanC wrote: Victor Tombs wrote:Seeing as Jeremy Soule has decided to change the timetable for the delivery of "The Northerner"...

Delays are expected for Kickstarters I guess. Still, if it makes the piece all the better I'm all for it!
We finally got another update for "The Northerner" TanC. The last one was way back in September. Mr Soule doesn't give any real information concerning the revised timetable but it's easy to see that this composition is going to be a masterpiece. I quote:

"I am not just composing the symphony, I am building and tailoring instruments in the software domain that will heighten what can be accomplished for the recording. I essentially want to create a "super recording" that utilizes not only performances from great musicians but also virtual instruments that advance the entire music tech sector."

That certainly got me excited. :D

I'm convinced it's going to be a landmark piece TanC. :D Jeremy seems to be going to extremes to get the sounds that he wants. It's understandable when you consider how personal the project is to him.

To be honest, I view his project in a similar manner to Limit Theory. He can take as much time as he needs to deliver the masterpiece as long as he does his best to include the members/backers in the process.
Josh is already doing that. I can only hope that Mr Soule follows his example.

Unfortunately, there is little to report on the progress of Jeremy Soule's "The Northerner".

I had high hopes that this project would be a winner. It involves one of my favourite composers who started off with bags of enthusiasm. The agency running the project promised the backers a host of wonderful experiences as the project advanced through its various stages of completion.

What could possibly go wrong?

Well the answer to that has to be, almost everything. It has now reached the stage of being reported to Kickstarter because of the dire treatment the backers are receiving. No real updates giving the backers information on the progress of the project just a few short comments made by staff at the agency which barely convey any information at all. The latest doesn't even make sense.

I think I may have been spoilt rotten by the best KS project I have ever had the good fortune to back. From day one of Limit Theory this journey with Josh has been exciting. :D

I do hope Mr Soule can get his project back on track but I am now very wary of heavily backing any further kickstarters. :(

Sometimes complaining does get a result. This is the update we received from JS:

Dear Northerners-

The notation of the symphony is finished. This is the most solitary (and intimidating) aspect of making a symphony. Now I will begin the process of synthesizer mock-ups to test what I have written.

This is the exciting part as I will have AV examples of this process that I can finally upload to Kickstarter. As soon as next Friday early mock-ups will be heard of Movement 1.

Interesting trivia....Malukah's singing range is similar to a bass flute. Once I have the synth tests far enough along, I will have Malukah start with her parts.

The schedule develops!

- Jeremy Soule

Not sure if you are still visiting TanC but it looks like progress is being made. I couldn't be happier. :D

Victor Tombs wrote:Sometimes complaining does get a result. This is the update we received from JS:

Dear Northerners-

The notation of the symphony is finished. This is the most solitary (and intimidating) aspect of making a symphony. Now I will begin the process of synthesizer mock-ups to test what I have written.

This is the exciting part as I will have AV examples of this process that I can finally upload to Kickstarter. As soon as next Friday early mock-ups will be heard of Movement 1.

Interesting trivia....Malukah's singing range is similar to a bass flute. Once I have the synth tests far enough along, I will have Malukah start with her parts.

The schedule develops!

- Jeremy Soule

Not sure if you are still visiting TanC but it looks like progress is being made. I couldn't be happier. :D
http://puu.sh/6XFW4.png

Tell me that isn't weird.

ThymineC wrote:Very strange, we were just talking about Malukah in the IRC channel!
Thor446 wrote:http://puu.sh/6XFW4.pngTell me that isn't weird.
Well, not really. it happens quite frequently in my life. I tend to accept it as part of everyday living nowadays.

Edit: I can assure you that I don't consider myself to be strange or weird though. :lol: I really enjoy Malukah's voice and as you may have guessed I am a passionate fan of Jeremy Soule's music. :D

Jeremy Soule apologises and gives further explanation regarding the lack of activity on his KS updates and comments:

From his Facebook page...

Kickstarter vs. FB for Northerner updates. My mistake...

While I greatly appreciate the backers, Kickstarter only allows backers to comment on updates. So, I have tried to encourage all backers to friend me here on FB. That way, even those who are interested in the symphony but were unable to contribute can still be included in discussions. I hope that Kickstarter can change their functionality in the near future. Meanwhile, those backers who were unaware of my FB posts grew understandably upset at my update rate on KS even as I discussed music here.

I personally have a kickstarter account. I have backed projects with it. But since I didn't "back" my own project, I can't post to the Northerner comments section with my own account. All updates have to instead be coordinated through an agency--as they helped me set all this up so I could concentrate most of my efforts on the music during this critical time. So, just do to the nature of things, I have have been unwittingly disconnected. And with some people clearly wanting to withdraw support for the symphony, I feel like I've made some critical PR mistakes in how this was approached. For this, I sincerely apologize.

Kickstarter is a community. I have come to realize this. It isn't necessarily the next door neighbor of FB or twitter. So, with this in mind, and knowing that many backers still aren't aware of my FB or Twitter updates, I will request direct access from my agent to the KS site. Again, my apologies go to my backers. I have been so absorbed in the music I wasn't minding the KS site like you have come to expect.

Sincerely,
JS
[/
i]

Faith in the project now fully restored (as far as I am concerned). :D

Online Now