Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Books!

I read the first Sten book years ago. I don't remember much about it. I guess I'll have to read it again.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

I've been working my way through The Complete Sherlock Holmes off & on the last few months: I'll read a few stories, then read something else, read a few more stories, read something else, etc. I'm finally down to the last few stories, and have just begun The Adventure of the Lion's Mane. 8-)

Martok wrote:I've been working my way through The Complete Sherlock Holmes off & on the last few months
I've done that as well a couple of months ago. 8-)

One pleasing aspect of it is that they're all on Project Gutenberg, so it's a very inexpensive read. :clap:

I read Blood Music a long time ago. I don't really remember much about it.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Gunther Haldan wrote:I read Blood Music a long time ago. I don't really remember much about it.
Blood Music introduced some very original nanotech concepts, which I liked. I don't remember much off the plot and characters, so they must not be anything special.

In the Presence of Mine Enemies by Harry Turtledove. I liked it the first time I read it a few years ago, and am enjoying the retread.

Indicable wrote:The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

A classic of American literature. Good choice! (Kinda makes me want to reread it myself now. ;) )

My "endurance reading" since 2011 is the revised version of Der Herr der Ringe (The Lord of the Rings, in German). Quite challenging, since German isn't my mother tongue. I'm currently reading the fifth book, which for me is the worst of all, no matter in which language :lol:

For daily bus/train travels have a pile of Forgotten Realms novels (out of a pool of 64). The next group of books will be The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore.

Two short novels out of the Ringworld universe were my "before going to bed" reading the last couple of weeks: Briar Patch and The Children's Hour
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

These look like some great books to read!
I personally am currently reading the light novel series The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, though as soon as I finish that, I will return to Asimov's Foundation series that I recently acquired the rest of (I've read Prelude to Foundation before, but didn't have the rest of them).
Lum wrote:My "endurance reading" since 2011 is the revised version of Der Herr der Ringe (The Lord of the Rings, in German). Quite challenging, since German isn't my mother tongue. I'm currently reading the fifth book, which for me is the worst of all, no matter in which language :lol:
I've read a lot of Tolkien, but it's thick enough in English. I can't imagine it in German :shock: (especially The Silmarillion). Given, I only took German for two years, but still :roll:.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Linialomdil wrote:I've read a lot of Tolkien, but it's thick enough in English. I can't imagine it in German :shock: (especially The Silmarillion). Given, I only took German for two years, but still :roll:.
Oh, it's usually fine, if the translator is worth their money. Which they usually are. I've read the Silmarillion at the age of 15, and found it perfectly good to read. ;) I was an experienced reader by that time, though.

Commander McLane wrote:
Linialomdil wrote:I've read a lot of Tolkien, but it's thick enough in English. I can't imagine it in German :shock: (especially The Silmarillion). Given, I only took German for two years, but still :roll:.
Oh, it's usually fine, if the translator is worth their money. Which they usually are. I've read the Silmarillion at the age of 15, and found it perfectly good to read. ;) I was an experienced reader by that time, though.
Yeah, I read it around then too, and don't get me wrong, I love the book. It is really dense though, and dense + German = no. If you can read it in German, I applaud you :clap:.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Online Now