Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Books!

I'm half way through book four of The Expanse. So far it's been a thrill ride, book after book.

For those of you who watched the Sy Fy channel's adaptation of this series but haven't read the books, they did take a bit of licence with the story line. While the first series takes us about half way through the first book, Avasarala, the Hindi woman that was a prominent UN official doesn't even show up until the second book. :monkey: A generous bit of story splicing I would think. :squirrel:
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

I was one of those "first-watcher-then-reader" guys and, although the books are (as usual) immensely superior, I enjoyed the series a lot without having any previous knowledge of the world it was based in. Belter creole was a handicap, I reckon. I even made a little googling to confirm that my English didn't get that worse overnight :ghost: Once I knew the why I didn't catch half of the dialogues I could watch with a clear mind :lol: Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I understood the changes made in the series. It really matched the pace of the episodes. Things that otherwise could take a while to explain were clear from the start. Introducing Avasarala's view added a certain deepness and counterpoint to Holden's and Miller's and, in a way, visiting Earth now and then as opposed to being always in space or Ceres was nice. I'm looking forward to season two. The actress they picked for Bobby is a 100%-match, at least from the couple of sneak-peeks. :mrgreen:
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

So... I'm done with Nemesis Games and the next one hits the stores in a couple weeks...

The thing is that I have a store voucher which I received as a gift but every time I go there there are no (good) sci-fi or fantasy books in the tiny "English books" section of the store. It's not that the regular (German translation and German original books, that is) sci-fi and fantasy section is that big anyway, but well, at least there are something. I was there today, look around for almost half an hour and got out of there with the voucher in my hand and that "aaachhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!"-feeling. I don't want to read German translations because they're almost as bad as the Spanish ones and, let me tell you, that's usually a very bad thing. So I want to pick a German sci-fi or fantasy book to keep me occupied while Babylon Ashes hits the market (December 8th, in my usual online store).

So, do you guys know a good book (and a relatively new at that, to increase chances of finding it in stock) in German? I made some quick research, but without any actual conclusions.

Lum wrote:So, do you guys know a good book (and a relatively new at that, to increase chances of finding it in stock) in German? I made some quick research, but without any actual conclusions.
I wish I could help you, Lum. :( I can't remember the last time I actually browsed in a real book shop. I used to spend lots of time doing just that and perusing through the vinyl in the rare record shops. I hope someone can help you. :angel:

Lum, depending on what kind of Fantasy you want to read I could recommend the Stormlight Chronicles from Brandon Sanderson (Sturmlicht Chroniken).

It is, more or less, recent...so I guess you won't have that much troubles with finding the books.

Sadly it's not finished yet...but still a great read in my Opinion.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

As I am german myself I can say that most of my Books are in that Language ^^

On that note, most Authors I read stuff from don't write german...but I've rarely had problems with the translations.

I'll see if I find some time tomorrow...perhaps I can write out some more interesting titles from my list. :)
- - - - - - - -

That would be great. Thank you!

I was looking for books originally written in German with the only purpose to get rid off the translation problem. After reading some 20 fantasy and sci-fi books in German I grew pretty sceptical because I knew some of the Spanish translation for those books and even a couple of original English. I won't talk about W40K-books because there the translations are... eh... ziemlich grottig, to say the least :ghost:

If you believe the translation for the Stormlight Chronicles are good enough, I'll try to get the first book. :D

I hope I can help you...even if I never read the Warhammer Books...but well...as said...i haven't had problems with the translations...so i hope you enjoy it :)
- - - - - - - -

Online Now