Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Books!

John Ringo, Under a Graveyard Sky

It's the zombie apocalypse. Only this is Ringo's version in which our heroes respond to it with guns, knives, and more guns.
This isn't anything deep or philosophical. Enjoy the dakka!
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Besides the collected works of Lovecraft, which are more like a trip down the memory lane for me, I came across this (slightly dated) bit of SF:

H. Beam Piper - Space Viking

Well, let me put it that way: Now I know exactly what I'll be once Limit Theory is ready. This has been a rather inspiring lecture.

-Hårdenbørg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Just finished William Golding's - he of Lord of the Flies fame - The Scorpion God, a collection of three novellas that examine human nature in three rather different, semi-historical, environments.

Given Golding's reputation for seriousness, and that of his works for being challenging, I was pleasantly surprised at how engaging the stories in this thin volume turned out to be. It wasn't that the author decided to forgo examining the human penchant for deceit and violence but rather that, as a master of prose, he makes his observations with a refreshingly light touch.

Of the three tales, The Scorpion God about pre-Pharaonic Egypt is the most thought-provoking with much left up to the reader to define and project (including how the great civilization of Ancient Egypt might have been a product of an odd social synthesis).

My favorite among the collection is Envoy Extraordinary, which is, in essence, a colorful lead-in to a punchline.

There are far worse ways to spend a couple of hours than reading Golding's novellas.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Hi,

Have you read The Series Of Unfortunate Events? It is originally destined to child, but just as "The Little Prince", I think it is enjoyable with a more mature point of view.
I really loved it.
Are you trying to scan my signature ?

Diegetisor wrote:Hi,

Have you read The Series Of Unfortunate Events? It is originally destined to child, but just as "The Little Prince", I think it is enjoyable with a more mature point of view.
I really loved it.
I saw the movie, dose that count?
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Gunther Haldan wrote:

I really loved it.
what that is the least acceptable book movie, it only covered like part of three of the books of the series read the series it is really good

~Sly
IVE BEEN OUT OF MY MIND A LONG TIME

Slymodi wrote:
Gunther Haldan wrote:

I really loved it.
what that is the least acceptable book movie, it only covered like part of three of the books of the series read the series it is really good

~Sly
LOL, I know Sly, I was being silly!
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

The movie was quite good ! The victorian unchronological atmosphere is well rendered and it wrap the first three book in a coherent way (which was not that easy). Ok, maybe Jim Carrey is overplaying... we are used to it?
Are you trying to scan my signature ?

Online Now