Return to “Everything & Anything”

Books!

In between drinking cheap vodka, stranding kerbals on distant worlds and eating fudge, I like to read.

So, uh, what're you reading at the moment? Myself, I'm currently (slowly) munching through this beastie. Had quite a thing for short stories recently and I've just finished the second one. Rather enjoying it.

Next up might be A Song of Ice and Fire.... Again. But it's a lot to get through and I have other things in my ever expanding pile o' books.
Re: Books!

Just finished Patrick Lee's "The Breach". (trilogy)
Read a lot of Patricia Brigg's werewolf stories where the heroine is - for a change - not some sort of superhero.
Re-read Ciaphas Cain - the only Warhammer 40k series I know that isn't a meaningless sequence of trigger pulling scenes.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

I highly recommend The Prince of Nothing series and its follow up series The Aspect Emperor, by R. Scott Bakker.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Darkness-Th ... 1841494089

If that doesn't interest you, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is always awesome.
The Stand, is also an amazing good Stephen King book.

If you're in a sci-fi mood there's the Ringworld series and the Ringworld prequel series, and many other books of Larry Niven's Known Space universe. It tends to be a bit more hard-scifi than many series.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

"The Dwarves" by Markus Heitz I think his name is, this is my favourite series of all time. :D It sparked my obsession for dwarves and mountains and all things subterranean. (Except I love forests like what the heck)
"That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.”
– Sam

Has got to be The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour. Action, romance, comedy, set in a beautiful time period, this book is not to be missed.
I view the internet as a fire, and I am the tender of this fire. There are many like me, and we all have the same cause. To feed this everlasting fire.

Vino wrote:Has got to be The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour. Action, romance, comedy, set in a beautiful time period, this book is not to be missed.
If Louis l'arnour wrote it its not to be missed... 8-)
"That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.”
– Sam

David Drake's Hammer's Slammers. David Weber's Honor Harington series, the Safehold series and with John Ringo, the Empire of Man series. http://www.davidweber.net/books
And speaking of John Ringo, the Troy Rising series, Legacy of Aldenata, Council Wars and Into the Looking Glass. Jack Campbell, The lost Fleet Series. Mike Shepherd, the Kriss Longknife Series. Stephen R. Donaldson, the Gap series. I could keep going, but that's enough for now.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Gunther Haldan wrote:David Drake's Hammer's Slammers. David Weber's Honor Harington series, the Safehold series and with John Ringo, the Empire of Man series. http://www.davidweber.net/books
And speaking of John Ringo, the Troy Rising series, Legacy of Aldenata, Council Wars and Into the Looking Glass. Jack Campbell, The lost Fleet Series. Mike Shepherd, the Kriss Longknife Series. Stephen R. Donaldson, the Gap series. I could keep going, but that's enough for now.
David Weber! +1

At the moment though I'm reading The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi (Book 2 in the Quantum Thief Trilogy). It's pretty good.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

The Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson. Good series, a little week on the science in the science fiction but a really good story line. I enjoyed it a lot. The Roamers were my favorite faction in the series.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

happyguy142 wrote:I'm currently reading the Saga of Seven suns and anxiously awaiting the next Dresden Files book....which isn't coming out till December :cry:
I'll also 2nd Dresden Files. Great Series.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Online Now