Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Books!

Great suggestions guys,. Thanks. I started the kindle sample of The Knight's Dawn Trilogy. Looks like I know what I'll be reading for quite some time. The trick will be forcing myself to take breaks between chapters for work, sleep and food.
We noticed that this thread got a little side-tracked into a conversation about eating spaghetti with a spoon. We do enjoy our fair share of italian food, but please remember to keep discussion on-topic when posting on the forums.

I'm too lazy to fix that typo.
We noticed that this thread got a little side-tracked into a conversation about eating spaghetti with a spoon. We do enjoy our fair share of italian food, but please remember to keep discussion on-topic when posting on the forums.

Lum wrote:I saw the movies and meh... I suppose that the books are better as usual.
Kind of like how the movie version of The Hunger Games Trilogy was good, but could have been great if they added about 15-20 minutes to each movie. Same goes with Harry Potter and Eragon. Actually, Eragon would have needed an entirely new script and possibly two movies per book to be decent.

HowSerendipitous wrote:And then I finished Fahrenheit 451. I liked the story, not so sure on the writing style.
Classic :clap:

Seveneves is great; it reads like an updated Jules Verne novel.

The Peripheral is turning out to be great; allow me to gush over it. Gibson is one of the only authors I can think of that is cool enough to leave off the subject to his sentences and get away with it. He's just that fervent. His writing is like a series of haiku addressed to technology and the human condition. His characters matter because they are so broken, utterly dependent on each other and the worlds they inhabit. I'm less than 30% of the way through and I would already describe it as 'mind-bending'. It's an insane mix of the familiar and the uncomfortably foreign; I feel like I've been to some of these places: the mega department store serving pork nuggets in the cafeteria to VR-enabled tech support staff with shoplifter-busting blimps flying overhead. The town where everyone knows everyone, and some people stay afloat only because others care about them so much. Yes, a thylacine is a real animal. No, the Sacrificial Anodes weren't a real band.

It brings up questions that something basic in me wants to reject. I can't write much more without giving away spoilers, but it's becoming an essay on fatalism like The Matrix was in 1999. The idea that future societies with vastly superior resources are playing games with our reality...

"Information flows both ways"

It confronts my sobriety. It tells me I'm living in the dark ages because I don't drink. It's a bitter novel and I can't tell if I like it or not, but in the long run I have the feeling I'm going to love it like Neuromancer. It's his best since that novel, or maybe Count Zero, or Pattern Recognition. He's already invoked Orwell by name, but the parsing is closer to Hemingway.

I feel guilty for having been directed by Gibson to Otaku Gangster; like I'm part of some 'in' crowd that wouldn't 'get it' unless I had browsed that feed. I'm not sure I want to be that cool.

On the other hand, maybe I'm overthinking it. Gibson's novels tend to flow best by just "jacking in" and being subsumed in the entirety of the information. Never mind that I don't understand what "jackpot", "funny", or "Peripheral" are defined as; they have some significance, and like other qualia will be explained in time. Or not. No guarantees in Gibson's cruel world.
"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
Authored 131 missions in Vendetta Online
Check it out on Steam

Currently reading "What If..." by Randall Munroe.
I think the second title "Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions" says everything about this one :lol:
He´s got a great style here, where he´s writing some complicated formulas and some scientific text while making it sound easy and funny.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

There's a lot more over one his website, but I believe theres a few ones in the book that are not on the website.
Scytale wrote: Look, I know people suck. That's the whole point! My question is, are you going to be as horrible as the mob, or are you going to work to be better?

I started looking at that website even before i finished the book...but i´m not sure, wether or not some questions are book-only *shrug*
I´m also looking forward to his next book releasing next month...i hope it´ll entertain me like the what if :lol:
- - - - - - - -

Really? :wtf:
Strange...I had the feeling, that most things were both in the book and on the website...but now that you mention it...there´s at least one i´m not so sure anymore :think:

Edit: BTW: I´ll start with Haruki Murakami's Hard-boiled Wonderland and the end of the world this evening (Was the title...I think :think: ). I hope it´s easier to read that 1Q84...perhaps it had something to do with the translation or something...but I really missed most of what happened...I still have no real clue, what when why with whom happens :crazy:
- - - - - - - -

Online Now