Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Books!

Lum wrote:Hey guys. I'm halfway through Red Country and already wondering if I should pick Abercrombie's newest trilogy for young-adults. I know it isn't set in The First Law world. The question is if these books are so awesome (in their own way, of course) or sub par? My other option is picking the Black Company's "Books of the South"... Any thought?
Having read both.

Yes.

:twisted:

Lum wrote:Oh Victor, I'm so out of the Dune series... are Jr. and Kevin J. still milking that cow or some new authors? Is that a prequel, sequel, midquel? I should wiki that to keep the geek in me at bay :lol: :monkey:

Enjoy it as soon as it comes to you! :thumbup:
:lol: Hey, less of the dismissive stuff, Lum. Of course it's still Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson doing the writing. True masters of their art. :P

I can't get enough of the dulcet tones of Scott Brick reading the books though. He brings the Dune universe to life. If there are any novels set in the Limit Theory universe I would love to hear Josh Parnell reading them but Id be happy to listen to Scott as a substitute. :angel:

I gotta jump back into this thread (after 1.5 years) to give a shoutout to Alastair Reynolds. I just read the first two books in his Revelation Space universe, and I don't have any better place to ramble about scifi novels than here, so here I go...

I'm no critic or anything, I just read books for fun, so I might not be able to explain very well why I'm enjoying what I've read so far. But anyway, there's something about the way every little action happens that makes everything so interesting when I would normally find certain scenarios or settings to be boring. Additionally, every event in the plot is also on the same level of... extremely interesting. (Everything the plot does is just interesting. It's pretty unbelievable)

The setting is also not quite like any space opera I've read. The way each planet is written is SO detailed and mixed. In other stories a planetary society might be generally "good" or generally "evil" or generally "[some other trait]" and maybe the writing only uses that planet to fill a role, whereas in Revelation Space each location has its own conflicts that take unique forms depending on the planet's history. It's all so... morally ambiguous? Whatever it is, I haven't read anything that did that quite so well.

There's actually a lot more I can say about it but I'm just gonna leave this how it is. Lol

For links, here's Chasm City, the second book that I just finished reading, since that page has no full plot summary a.k.a. spoilers. These might be the kinds of books where spoilers will ruin everything.

tl;dr Revelation Space is too good

Charley_Deallus wrote:Who likes Stephen King? :p Who likes sleeping at night? :lol:
I've read The Stand, Cujo and Tommy Knockers.

"Late last night and the night before, Tommy Knockers, Tommy Knockers knocking at my door.
I want to go out, don't know if I can, 'cause I'm so afraid of that Tommy Knocker man." :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Online Now