Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Books!

^Now that's one series I need to get my mind wrapped around...once I have free time from LT/SC/ED/etc. :lol:

That is seriously a huge collection, I might just intentionally maroon myself on an island with those books to force myself to get into reading them. :ghost:
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:^Now that's one series I need to get my mind wrapped around...once I have free time from LT/SC/ED/etc. :lol:

That is seriously a huge collection, I might just intentionally maroon myself on an island with those books to force myself to get into reading them. :ghost:
Yes, it's a reading project you need to be serious about TanC. I have all the hardback copies of the books but my eyesight is not what it used to be. Hence the audio versions. I am a bit fanatical about DUNE as you may have gathered. :D

Just_Ice_au wrote:I'm an Eddings fan, but if you read enough of his books, all his series start to run together, and you realise he only ever had the one idea/formula, that he re-wrote and re-wrote for thirty years straight:

There's some good gods and evil gods, who've been enemies for millennia, but have never really done much about it until our protagonist came along.

Our hero has to go fight the evil god's cult followers to find a mystical power gem that holds all the power of the universe, because prophecy. To do so, he will need a diverse team of characters, each with their own skills and quirks, usually each from a nation that only seems to have the one industry or export. The bad guys will try to stop him, even though they have their own gem or book or widget that is supposedly just as powerful. He will get help along the way from some gods in disguise, and learn the secrets of sorcery which will only add to his previous skills of thievery, knighting, or being a lost prince secretly raised as a farmboy.

There will be a showdown or two with the enemy, which seems a lot like all the other showdowns with the enemy that Eddings has ever written. Characters will lampshade the similarities, but they'll be explained away as history repeating itself because gods, magic, prophecy, prophecy, time travel, technobabble, magic!

In the conclusion, the bad guys will be defeated easily because they've always been so powerful they forgot to learn how to actually fight or something. Insert moral about good guys winning because they have friends, and bad guys losing because they rely too much on one powerful agent acting alone, conveniently forgetting about the bad guy's vast, vast armies of redshirted goons. The End, rinse, repeat. :lol:
Hee hee, according to TV Tropes well that was his exact plan! He set out to write books that were strictly formula. No surprises, just a standard heroes journey each time. It's just they're very well written and the characters are oh so likeable. They just suck you in!

I'm gushing. Blurgh,

HowSerendipitous wrote:Hee hee, according to TV Tropes well that was his exact plan! He set out to write books that were strictly formula. No surprises, just a standard heroes journey each time. It's just they're very well written and the characters are oh so likeable. They just suck you in!

I'm gushing. Blurgh,
Oh yeah, they're pretty fantastic. I lost count of the number of times I read the Belgariad/Mallorean back in high school. If I feel like I want to read it again, though, now I usually just read The Redemption of Althalus - you get the entire heroes journey packed into one book. :thumbup: :lol:

About the only series of his I couldn't get into was his Dreamers books. I read the first couple, and just couldn't soldier my way through the rest. :(
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

In fact, Eddings himself (through his publisher) tells you right up-front that he's got something like that in mind.

In the About the Author section at the end of each novel, the publisher says of Eddings:
The field of fantasy has always been of interest to him, however, and he turned to The Belgariad in an effort to develop certain technical and philosophical ideas concerning that genre.
I always reckoned that the technical idea Eddings had was to draw a big, detailed map, drop appropriate-seeming cultures on that map, then let the plot unfold from dragging a cast of characters through all those places -- sort of the outsider's simple impression of what Tolkien did. He didn't, actually (the cosmology and cultures came first), but the effect is similar: story as A Hiking Tour of The East Dangerlands, Featuring the Amazing Adventures of Captain Gladys Stoat-Pamphlet and Her Intrepid Spaniel Stig Amongst the Giant Pygmies of Beccles, vol. 8.

The notion that all Eddings's books were just about collecting random plot coupons seems a bit unfair, but if he said that was the "technical idea" he wanted to test, he (and his wife Leigh, who was finally credited later) sure did it well.

To introduce works in a different vein, though with elements of the fantastical about them, I would recommend:

Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse and Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges.

Though these two books are generally seen more as intellectual examinations (read, serious literature) than flights of fancy to be lost in, I find them highly rewarding and thought-provoking in a good way.

As much of Hesse's prose flows freely and Journey to the East is a short novel, it can be easily finished in one (longer) sitting.

Borges' short stories, in turn, are dense and erudite. However, they are, by definition, rather short and thus the collection can be read over time without losing interest or the thread of a specific tale.

I would be interested to know if anyone here has a taste for either author (or work mentioned).

As a footnote, I read both books in English translation.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Just_Ice_au wrote:
HowSerendipitous wrote:Hee hee, according to TV Tropes well that was his exact plan! He set out to write books that were strictly formula. No surprises, just a standard heroes journey each time. It's just they're very well written and the characters are oh so likeable. They just suck you in!

I'm gushing. Blurgh,
Oh yeah, they're pretty fantastic. I lost count of the number of times I read the Belgariad/Mallorean back in high school. If I feel like I want to read it again, though, now I usually just read The Redemption of Althalus - you get the entire heroes journey packed into one book. :thumbup: :lol:

About the only series of his I couldn't get into was his Dreamers books. I read the first couple, and just couldn't soldier my way through the rest. :(
Oooh, I've only read Althalus once. I remember enjoying it, just with all the reading material I have right now I won't get to it until about 2060.

Ah yes. The Dreamers. I read them all. Then, after reading the ending of the last book, I felt a strong urge to fly to David Eddings' house and make him eat all four hardback books.
Katorone wrote:No fans here of the Mars series?
Ze Kim Stanley Robinson ones? They always looked good, but never got to them.

Katorone wrote:No fans here of the Mars series?
Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars?

I've read them, can't call myself a true fan, as I've never felt the need to go back and re-read. But I remember them favourably.
- The Snark Knight

I'm not particularly well read, so for me the Mars trilogy is awesome. I love the fact that Kim Stanley Robinson educated himself about the fields he wanted to write about, and tried to extrapolate technology based on what he learned. I'd actually love to see the day where we really know genetic manipulation and can create plants/organisms to help us reach our goals.

I don't read much, I'd rather watch a nice movie than reading a book. Not liking bright light, but needing light to read, and not liking to read during the day are probably big reasons. :D Though, the next book I'm picking up is a Diskworld one.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I see "the Mars books," I think John Carter and Edgar Rice Burroughs. The KSR trilogy was a distant second thought.

I actually have all three, but trying to read the first one felt like swimming through treacle in January -- I just couldn't get into it.

Purely a matter of personal taste there, of course.

Except for the John Carter stories (the ones actually written by ERB), which are universally awesome. :)

There's the Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R. Donaldson if you're into odd ball fantasy. I loved the series when it first came out but I was young and easily impressed at the time. In retrospect it wasn't really all that good. Mordants Need, The Mirror of Her Dreams and A man Rides Through, was a much better story. I also read a five book science fiction series of his called the Gap series. The Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story, The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge, The Gap Into Power: A Dark And Hungry God Arises, The Gap Into Madness: Chaos And Order and The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All gods Die. This was a very dark and twisted story. But it kept me waiting for the next book to come out. I think I'll go back and re read it. I have all five books right here! :o :lol: :mrgreen:
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Gunther Haldan wrote:There's the Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R. Donaldson if you're into odd ball fantasy. I loved the series when it first came out but I was young and easily impressed at the time. In retrospect it wasn't really all that good. Mordants Need, The Mirror of Her Dreams and A man Rides Through, was a much better story. I also read a five book science fiction series of his called the Gap series. The Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story, The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge, The Gap Into Power: A Dark And Hungry God Arises, The Gap Into Madness: Chaos And Order and The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All gods Die. This was a very dark and twisted story. But it kept me waiting for the next book to come out. I think I'll go back and re read it. I have all five books right here! :o :lol: :mrgreen:
I need to reread the Thomas Covenant ones... And buy the last books from the Last Chronicles.

I'm currently reading He died with a felafel in his hand. It's a ridiculous as it sounds and people look at me strangely as I giggle to myself on the train. :squirrel:

Gunther Haldan wrote:There's the Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R. Donaldson if you're into odd ball fantasy. I loved the series when it first came out but I was young and easily impressed at the time. In retrospect it wasn't really all that good.
I tried to read it, but the main character was just so ...
Spoiler:      SHOW
rapey

:? :thumbdown:

Couldn't get past the first book.
- The Snark Knight

Donaldson seems to love grim.

The Covenant books are grim. The "Gap" books are... unbelievably, horribly grim.

The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through weren't always fun, but they actually did have some nice moments, and the story was absorbing. I enjoyed them more than the others.

My turn again to suggest something, I think, and I'll turn back to science fiction for a moment. :)

The "Commodore Grimes" novels by A. Bertram Chandler are consistently excellent. They won't make you gasp; they're not written to be flashy. But they are darned intelligent and funny, and reading the whole series (if you can get your hands on all the books) builds a really interesting character arc.

I can also enthusiastically recommend the "Sten" series by Allan Cole and the late Chris Bunch (with whom I corresponded briefly back in the early '90s). They have some of the same great characterizations as Eddings could write, but with better (more surprising but plausible) plotting, more hardboiled military tech, better strategic and political thinking, a Scot with a thick accent and horrible shaggy-dog jokes, and delicious recipes. Every book is good, and the series as a whole packs exactly the right punch.

Dang. Now I want to go re-read the Sten series again.

Online Now