Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Books!

Lum wrote:I could find the first pages from Der Weg der Könige and it seems solid. And... already found that the first English book get the sword in the middle for the German version. As often :lol: It works for me, though, since I don't need another 1000 pages construction block on my lap to enjoy a good read. I'll head tomorrow to the book store to get my copy :)
If you have the time, do drop by the IRC and chat about books :)

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Lum wrote: I was looking for books originally written in German with the only purpose to get rid off the translation problem.
*cough cough* Perry Rhodan *cough cough*

I read about half of them and that took 4 years of 1 or more hours of daily reading :ghost:
Thanks CF, I'll look into it, since pulp thingies are always nice to read now and then. :thumbup: In Spain we have some tradition with this kind of work... in a country with null coma nix tradition in this kind of things, that is :ghost:

I'm liking Der Weg der Könige so far, thanks guys!
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Lum wrote: Thanks CF, I'll look into it, since pulp thingies are always nice to read now and then. :thumbup: In Spain we have some tradition with this kind of work... in a country with null coma nix tradition in this kind of things, that is :ghost:
I'd like to point out that the weekly heftln are a more complete version of the story than the Silberbände.
The Silberbände are collected and shortened versions of ~100 Heftln each.

I just wanted to write an update on the recommendations that you guys gave me. I'm some 200 pages in Der Weg der Könige. So far so good. I'm enjoying it now. The beginning is a little rough for my tastes, with this prelude-prologue-chapters structure. But once the chapters are on their way it soon feels like home. The world is well crafted, rich in details and I like the prose. It isn't heavy à la Tolkien, the descriptions are abundant but not tiresome. I like the unique fantasy things that were introduced so far and the characters are well depicted. Thank you again for the recommendation, F4wk35! :thumbup:

CF, I was the other thay in my usual Bookstore (looking for some inspiration for some Christmas gifts) and I found 3 or 4 PR's Silberbände (2 NEOs and two no-NEOs). I don't believe that getting normal Heftleins can be an easy task, but these recopilation books are easy enough to find online and in most stores. Now I've made some research (mostly wikis) but there are so many things PR-related that I find myself a little overwhelmed by the task... What would you recommend for a beginner? I know "the beginning would be the easy answer", but sometimes isn't the right answer... :ghost:

Lum wrote: CF, I was the other thay in my usual Bookstore (looking for some inspiration for some Christmas gifts) and I found 3 or 4 PR's Silberbände (2 NEOs and two no-NEOs). I don't believe that getting normal Heftleins can be an easy task, but these recopilation books are easy enough to find online and in most stores. Now I've made some research (mostly wikis) but there are so many things PR-related that I find myself a little overwhelmed by the task... What would you recommend for a beginner? I know "the beginning would be the easy answer", but sometimes isn't the right answer... :ghost:
i started at #1500 myself, it was the beginning of a new "Zyklus", when they start a new story arc.

i'd have too look where the last Zyklus started
http://www.perrypedia.proc.org/wiki/Zyklen

perry rhodan neo is actually a "reboot" of the series where they start more or less afresh but without the tech visions from the sixties but with todays tech visions :ghost:

so NEO would also be a good thing to start, but i havent read any of them myself.

I devoured Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and enjoyed it all the way, but man, the Wax and Wayne series are a blast o_O Wayne is the most impossible of characters, but he's so well written!! And it's not that all the others are bland, they're also great! Awesome stuff. The Bands of Mourning is getting to the climax and I fear the enormous amount of time until the next book gets published!!! arggghghghgh!! Oh well...

Online Now