Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: All things Star Wars.

Groufac wrote:
HowSerendipitous wrote:And X-Wings. Flying low level.
That's when they got me :ghost: Now I'm hyped :mrgreen:
Agreed. The rest of the trailer was cool (I already know this is going to be better than Episode 2 or 3) But the X-Wings.... Oh yes. Midnight IMAX watch for me!

Hopefully JJ understands that many fans want to see the X-Wings and Y-Wings in action as much as they want to see Jedi fights. And if the movie is going to retcon the books then I want to see Grand Admiral Thrawn! He is the ONLY believable character that can keep the empire a true threat to the New Republic.

AbhChallenger wrote:
Lum wrote:Disney already announced that the Expanded Universe won't be cannon anymore. So no films based on already published works. Sorry...
I know it won't be the same as the books. But they should use parts of them like the character of Thrawn himself.
I completely agree. There is no reason why they couldn't make a equivalent or bring the man himself back into the series. I'm willing to bet that the hooded villain is likely a dark Jedi since the last Sith died in VI.

What I loved about the trailer was the slightly used future look that the original trilogy had but the newer films didn't. Already the JJ Abrams version looks much more liveable in that sense - a world one can inhabit - than the prequels.

Of course it may still end poorly, but there is hope. You could even say it's a New Hope.

Victor Tombs wrote:Is Jar Jar not in this one then? How about the cute teddy bears? :P

Teaser trailers tell you virtually nothing about the quality of the finished film. Heck, even a full trailer can be misleading. :angel:
This is true. However, the attention to certain details shown in the teaser leads me to believe JJ has a better shot at bringing Star Wars back than Lucas ever could.

So I am giving him one chance. I will pay for the full midnight IMAX experience. With that I expect to be blown away way more than Star Trek 09 did. I want to see.

#1 Space Battles that are better than Even episode 6.
#2 FAR better lightsaber duels than any previous movie (Yes it has to beat the epic battle of Episode 1 with Maul)
#3 An empire not led by someone who is force sensitive. (Thrawn) And is a real threat to the New Republic rather than a simple menace.

They've never said that they wouldn't actually bring some book content to the new films, they just said that the books cannot be considered cannon. I imagine they are probably considering bringing some of the content over from the EU such as key characters. I would personally love to see the kids, Thrawn and Mara Jade.

As far as I remember, EU was never considered canon. After the RPGs and the oodles of novels, there was simply too much material around to form a coherent whole, not really helped by the constant fiddling of Lucas with the original movies.

That, however, never kept them from raiding the EU for ideas. And while I think that it would have been a better idea to simply turn the Timothy Zahn books into a new trilogy instead of the trash that eventually became Episode 1-3, not everything from the EU was good or even worthwhile (Yuuzhan Vong, anyone?).

We'll see. With a bit of luck it might become a decent scifi movie. Though admittedly, that sword design rivals the lightsaber-nunchakus for sheer design idiocy...

-Hardenberg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

There is always going to be one or two "Stupid" things about any Star Wars movie. Like the Lightsaber duel of Episode 6 which was hilariously bad. I think I can forgive the obviously dangerous design if they give a good explanation. (Some have theorized that it is a shoddily put together design that requires those "vents" which could explain a fallen force user who desires the great weapon of the Jedi.)

Hardenberg wrote:As far as I remember, EU was never considered canon. After the RPGs and the oodles of novels, there was simply too much material around to form a coherent whole, not really helped by the constant fiddling of Lucas with the original movies.

That, however, never kept them from raiding the EU for ideas. And while I think that it would have been a better idea to simply turn the Timothy Zahn books into a new trilogy instead of the trash that eventually became Episode 1-3, not everything from the EU was good or even worthwhile (Yuuzhan Vong, anyone?).

We'll see. With a bit of luck it might become a decent scifi movie. Though admittedly, that sword design rivals the lightsaber-nunchakus for sheer design idiocy...

-Hardenberg
I thought the EU was considered canon because of all of the Star Wars Dictionaries and Chronologies. As someone who has read most of the books placed in the EU, I can confirm that the Vong seemed to hurt Star Wars in an ungraceful manner. I didn't care for the books where Luke was looking for a wife (or girl friend) much either.

I wish there were more novels on Wraith Squadron, those guys were elite.

Online Now