Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Random

I have broken more Elton John records, he seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look, I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
Oolite Naval Attaché

4 is correct.

4SF means the four most useful specific numbers, NOT the number of decimal places.

5890 is significant, you can tell the zero is, because it is there.
Thus 4 SF

But it's 6 Decimal Places deep.

if this number were a lot bigger, say by a trillion (1,000,000,000,000)
It'd display as:

And you would only be able to claim 3 SF. As only the 589 is obviously significant. (which is why you specify SF)

589.0 is also 4SF, you can tell because the 0 is there.
5890 could be 3 OR 4SF.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

So, unless you guys use a different system for SF (which would be odd), Silver is kinda but not really correct.

To determine the amount of SF:
You count the amount of digits, from left to right, starting at the first non-zero digit.

In 0.005890 g, the first non-zero digit is 5, so that's 4 SF. Leading zeros don't matter, and here's why:
I can write that number as 5.890 mg, or 0.000005890 kg, and all of those have the same precision, but a different amount of leading zeros.

The rest of what Silver said, however, is wrong :P
5,890,000,000 has 10 SF, not 3. If someone writes 5,890,000,000 g, then that means their precision was a gram, and all of those zeros are significant. If they actually measured in tons (so 5890 tons, with 4 SF), but they wanted to write it in gram, they would write 5890E6 g. See, still 4 SF. Same for 5890, that's 4 SF, always.

I mean, if what Silver said was true, then 5890 g might have 3 or 4 SF, but 589.0 dag would have 4, despite being the exact same number with exact the same precision :P
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:58 pm
The rest of what Silver said, however, is wrong :P
5,890,000,000 has 10 SF, not 3. If someone writes 5,890,000,000 g, then that means their precision was a gram, and all of those zeros are significant. If they actually measured in tons (so 5890 tons, with 4 SF), but they wanted to write it in gram, they would write 5890E6 g. See, still 4 SF. Same for 5890, that's 4 SF, always.
That's not how I learned SF...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures
In a number without a decimal point, trailing zeros may or may not be significant. More information through additional graphical symbols or explicit information on errors is needed to clarify the significance of trailing zeros.
5,890,000,000 is 3 - 10 SF, to be on the safe side one would assume 3.
While in science any situation that needed a number like this is going to be written as: 5.890e9 (or x109)
Which makes it super easy to tell.
The long form is still perfectly valid.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:20 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and that's not how I learned it... so refer to your handbook :ghost:
Yeah, check with your teacher on that one to be sure you are using the correct convention.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now